Author Topic: Lani Sarem  (Read 972 times)

Offline rabbitwarren

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 399
Lani Sarem
« on: October 12, 2017, 11:15:53 AM »
So high level overview: This author wrote a fantasy YA novel that debuted at #1 on the NYT Best Sellers list.  Other YA authors suspected she gamed the system by making bulk orders at NY Times stores.  She claims that she achieved her sales by selling on the Convention circuit. 

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

My question is, did anyone notice her at any conventions? 

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
Re: Lani Sarem
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 11:21:52 AM »
i don't do huge with the book area but i usually walk through a couple of times- I do not remember that book cover- the visuals are usually what i remember
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 08:40:36 AM »

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 02:26:04 PM »
I recall that story and discussing it with some marketing friends. The Vulture article is pretty comprehensive I think.  The most interesting thing to me was the connection with ResultSource and also the notion of buying books in bulk in order to resell or give away, but from bookstores and not from the publisher. She has admitted to doing the latter, stating the justification that it's a more reasonable thing to do in today's climate.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I guess my take would be that she probably did game the system, or hired someone to help, but that it's also kind of a crappy system that lots of people and companies also try to game though maybe not as obviously.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 03:23:49 PM »
The real question is: if there's a loophole in the system, is it unethical to take advantage of it? Personally, I would have to admit that I do this often (especially in connection with SDCC and with Disney theme parks). So I can't really cast any blame on her. IMHO it was a smart move, and it got her book a lot of attention, so she accomplished what she set out to do.

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 03:55:25 PM »
To me being on the best seller list never had value.  I have read a lot of crap off that list.   Is there a rule as to who bought them?  If someone wants to buy that many copies of their own book so be it!  I'm with TJ it was a smart move.
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion