Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Comics, Books, and Toys! / Re: New Comic Book Day!
« Last post by AzT on March 26, 2024, 12:26:28 PM »
Comics, Books, and Toys! / Re: Artifact Edition & other Large format Editions
« Last post by AzT on March 26, 2024, 12:25:42 PM »

SDCC Registration and Badges / Re: SDCC 2024 - Badge Refunds & Returns
« Last post by perc2100 on March 26, 2024, 12:09:11 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
A long time ago, in a world before RFID badges, you had to pick up your badge IN PERSON at SDCC. If you did not, then you would not be eligible for returning registration the following year.

Since they started issuing RFID badges and mailing them to people, the question is whether or not it is required to badge in to be eligible for returning registration (i.e. to 'prove' that you attended). Anecdotally, I have heard that people are still eligible even if they have not badged in the previous year. But there has never been an official statement on this by CCI (of which I am aware).

This being said, they are at liberty to change this policy whenever they want, and certainly with the RFID data they should easily be able to see who has badged in and who has not. So it is certainly better to err on the side of caution and make sure that you badge in.
That last part is the important part: CCI changes things up constantly, and it's impossible to predict when they could decide exactly how one truly qualifies as being a 'returning attendee.'  Obviously if one needs the money, you gotta do what you gotta do; if one wants to role the dice, they can but understand policy could change AFTER 2024 SDCC so who knows if that screws you.
Movies and TV Shows / Re: Media Chat....Current Events
« Last post by perc2100 on March 26, 2024, 12:05:59 PM »
I've been on the fence on Ghostbusters. Is the after credit scene worth staying for?
It's "fun," but mileage may vary.  It's more of a giggle-esque moment than any sort of integral thing (I think the previous film's mid-credits scene w/Murray & Weaver was a LOT more fun, and the post-credits scene was more sentimental & integral to setting up future stories, as was paid off in the new film).

I'm also on the fence about Ghostbusters as a franchise that seems to have one legit-great first film, and different degrees of "entertaining" with the sequels.  To get into the mood for the new movie I did spend time last weekend watching the other Ghostbusters films, and I still may think that Ghostbusters II is the worst sequel, with the reboots being either "fine" or "good-not-great" depending on my mood that day.  All have some good moments and legit funny moments, but all the sequels also have their problems.
I do think if they continue this franchise as-is, with similar characters and whatnot, they need to maybe pair down the cast a bit.  But that's just me; we'll see how this one does at the box office.
Movies and TV Shows / Re: Dune 2
« Last post by perc2100 on March 26, 2024, 11:59:57 AM »
I rarely post in movie review/discussion threads, but I just wanted to say that Dune 2 was one of the most incredibly beautiful and visually captivating movies I've ever seen while also being just OK plot/story wise. I know others thing it's great but it just didn't capture me the way I was hoping.
Whenever a long story is broken up into multiple parts, it always feel a bit wonky to me: like the HP: Deathly Hallows films as an example.  I think AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR & ENDGAME & the KILL BILL films were rare "obviously one long story broken up into two" that worked so well because the filmmakers strived to make the two films feel relatively complete & tonally, if not also visually, different.  The final Hunger Games book/2 films also worked fairly well for me, though not as strongly as the others (conversely, The Hobbit films were a hot mess IMO).

I look forward to watching both DUNE films back-to-back in order to get the full narrative experience to see how well it works; both films are only half of the full narrative story, so it makes sense that either half is done well but doesn't feel like a full narrative experience when viewed one-at-a-time.  IIRC the original Dune novel did end with the obvious darker undertones that Paul was indeed on a bad pathway (because that's kind of a HUGE theme of the novels, the "putting all your stock in a messiah leads to awful" concept), and I appreciate how the creatives of DUNE part 2 set that up.  It doesn't necessarily feel like a "we're setting up a huge franchise!" move to me, but more a 'we're making this theme overt instead of subtle, especially knowing what's coming down the pipe.'  I don't think the 1984 Lynch film had Paul leading towards 'evil,' but IIRC the book does indeed end that way.

But I get not being into the story: it's half of the (kinda dense) story spread over 3ish hours
SDCC Housing, Parking, and Transportation / Re: 2024 SDCC Parking registration
« Last post by perc2100 on March 26, 2024, 11:48:51 AM »
oh, there's ways of getting into the parking- u just have to plan it out ;)
sometimes it's worth driving around the city to enter downtown on the correct side
Yeah I come from north of the 163, and we all go all the way down to Cesar Chavez exit and come NORTH to the Convention Center via Harbor.  That's usually the easiest for us, depending on how early I'm arriving (last year w/no line craziness was atypical), which is usually early enough for Harbor to still be open
WonderCon / Re: WonderCon 2024: March 29-31
« Last post by MandoSaves on March 26, 2024, 11:46:47 AM »
I'm still having issues with my app since I can't see the updated 2024 schedule. I even updated it. Hmmm.
« Last post by marcia29 on March 26, 2024, 07:59:56 AM »
Can anyone see the WonderCon schedule in the app? It's still showing 2023 for me, and I'm wondering if I'm missing an update?

I had to update this morning and now it shows 2024.
« Last post by SteveD on March 26, 2024, 07:26:32 AM »
Can anyone see the WonderCon schedule in the app? It's still showing 2023 for me, and I'm wondering if I'm missing an update?
Yes, I'm seeing the 2024 schedule in the app. It did download an update this morning when I opened it up. Android app version is 10.3.5.0, updated on 3/21/2024.
« Last post by susanml10881 on March 26, 2024, 07:23:16 AM »
I’ve been seeing those ads for last few weeks on Facebook.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10