Author Topic: Game of Thrones: Panel vs. Autographing Chances  (Read 23429 times)

Offline mlgagne

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
  • By what right does the wolf judge the lion?
    • FoCC Blog Articles - mlgagne
  • Liked: 882
Game of Thrones: Panel vs. Autographing Chances
« on: February 13, 2015, 12:03:01 PM »
Hi there!

I probably have about a hundred million questions about SDCC since I've never attended before, and this is my first year attempting to get badges. I've been doing research on it for like 2+ years because I figure that it can never hurt to be thorough with something like this - which, thankfully, led me to the forum and helped me find a buying group!  :) I have been lurking for a while to kind of feel out what other people's experiences have been like, but I figured that I'd post one of my many questions (even though I don't want to get too ahead of myself, since I haven't even secured badges yet).

So, I am a big "Game of Thrones" fan, and I know that SDCC does a huge panel and autographing every year. I live near New York, so this is a big deal for me, since NYCC has only been getting 1-2 minor actors from the show. There are quite a few of the major actors that I'd like to meet, but I know that SDCC does the ticket lottery the morning of for the autographing, and I'm assuming that a TON of people want those tickets. I wouldn't say that I'm particularly UNLUCKY, but I'm not sure how I feel about my chances up against all those people (I'm thinking that I'll be pretty lucky if I can even get badges).

If I chose to do the panel, I know that I would be camping outside of Hall H, but I am assuming that I would have to get there in the early evening the day before to get a good seat(?), and I am thinking that leaving for an extended period of time won't allow me to go back to the same spot in line.

Basically, has anyone ever successfully participated in an autograph ticket drawing on a similar scale to "Game of Thrones" AND gotten into Hall H on the same day? Is that something that is even possible? I am assuming that I will probably have to choose one or the other and that my chances of getting into the panel are much higher - in that case, is there any chance of running into any of the actors outside of the autographing? Probably not, haha.

Any help that anyone can give would be greatly appreciated! Until then, I will be anxiously awaiting badge registration...
SDCC: 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019
WonderCon: 2017 | 2018 | 2019
NYCC: 2012 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016
Walker Stalker Con: 2015 (San Diego) | 2017 (Atlanta)

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
Re: Game of Thrones: Panel vs. Autographing Chances
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 12:10:06 PM »
Without some kind of connection or help from generous friends (i.e. friends lining up for autograph tickets and then giving them to you if they win) I don't think that is possible any more. Even lining up for autograph tickets involves a significant waiting time early in the morning. It's just not possible to line up for both autograph tickets and a popular day at Hall H.

JMHO. If anyone has suggestions on how to accomplish both, I would love to hear it!

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 04:45:59 AM »

Offline mlgagne

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 12:44:17 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Without some kind of connection or help from generous friends (i.e. friends lining up for autograph tickets and then giving them to you if they win) I don't think that is possible any more. Even lining up for autograph tickets involves a significant waiting time early in the morning. It's just not possible to line up for both autograph tickets and a popular day at Hall H.

JMHO. If anyone has suggestions on how to accomplish both, I would love to hear it!

Haha, while it's entirely possible that I may have connections elsewhere throughout the con, I think I might be the *least* connected to GOT...which would be my luck! I would also be attending by myself, so I don't think that I am going to find anyone to stand in line for me.

Thanks for letting me know, though! Just out of curiosity, does anyone know approx. how many people usually go for that type of autograph lottery vs. how many people actually get tickets? I am assuming that the odds are terrifyingly not in my favor  :o

Offline DRWHO42

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • FoCC Blog
  • Liked: 1750
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 12:49:35 PM »
To be honest there is no way to be in 2 places at the same time.

The WB use hologram bracelets that they fasten to your wrist if you win your choice and that day the line up for the drawing is quite popular.  At the same time you have to be in your sorting group for Hall H.

Sorry to be the one to break the bad news but you have to make a choice between the panel vs the autograph drawing.
Time and Relative Dimension in Space - 'TARDIS' for short

Editor-in-Chief of the FoCC Blog

Offline mlgagne

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 12:58:39 PM »
To be honest there is no way to be in 2 places at the same time.

The WB use hologram bracelets that they fasten to your wrist if you win your choice and that day the line up for the drawing is quite popular.  At the same time you have to be in your sorting group for Hall H.

Sorry to be the one to break the bad news but you have to make a choice between the panel vs the autograph drawing.

I figured as much, haha. Thanks for letting me know! I am thinking that the panel is generally a more successful option, so I will probably go with that and keep looking to see if they make any appearances on the east coast.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 02:11:49 PM »
FWIW, I've always made the same choice. I'd rather see the cast in a panel then get autographs (which while fun and exciting, is a very fast experience). Although it's getting to the point where Hall H is extremely difficult to get into on Friday and Saturday. I am actually debating this year if I want to camp out to see GoT in Hall H, or simply 'get up early' for autograph wristband lotteries. Ugh... not an easy choice.

Keep in mind that if you do decide to go for the autograph, you can watch the panel playback easily in the evening. It's not the same as being there, and they don't show the 'exclusive footage', but you can see the panel itself.

Offline mlgagne

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 02:33:52 PM »
FWIW, I've always made the same choice. I'd rather see the cast in a panel then get autographs (which while fun and exciting, is a very fast experience). Although it's getting to the point where Hall H is extremely difficult to get into on Friday and Saturday. I am actually debating this year if I want to camp out to see GoT in Hall H, or simply 'get up early' for autograph wristband lotteries. Ugh... not an easy choice.

Keep in mind that if you do decide to go for the autograph, you can watch the panel playback easily in the evening. It's not the same as being there, and they don't show the 'exclusive footage', but you can see the panel itself.

Ahh, true - thank you for the reminder! Although I wouldn't want to go for the autographing, lose out on the lottery, and then not even get to experience the panel. You're right - tough decision.

What is the best time to get in line for Hall H if I wanted a good seat? I think I've heard like 4 or 5 pm for the Friday and Saturday panels - is that accurate? I don't think that would bother me TOO much - if I do get to go this year (*fingers crossed*), I was just planning on attempting to get a hotel nearby in the lottery, getting a sleeping bag for the long night, and making some friends to save my spot in line for bathroom breaks and whatnot.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 03:32:56 PM »
Not certain. The 'lineup time' changes every year. Last year CCI threw a wrinkle into the system with handing out wristbands... and that only encouraged lineups to start earlier. I'm not sure what they will do this year: keep the system the same or change it again. It's anyone's guess as to how that might work...

Offline mlgagne

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2015, 04:24:57 PM »
Okay - thank you!  :) I will just have to look into that as it gets closer. For now, I will continue freaking out about registration next weekend  :o

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2015, 06:18:38 PM »
Okay - thank you!  :) I will just have to look into that as it gets closer. For now, I will continue freaking out about registration next weekend  :o

Good luck!

Offline mlgagne

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2015, 12:12:30 AM »
Thank you!  :)

Offline DRWHO42

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • FoCC Blog
  • Liked: 1750
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2015, 06:09:31 AM »
One more thing - generally on the morning of this particular draw there are several drawings going on at the same time and you can only draw for 1 when you get to the table. If you do not win on the first shot you can get on the line again for a chance to draw again so do not give up if you are unsuccessful at the first attempt. Patience Is key.
Time and Relative Dimension in Space - 'TARDIS' for short

Editor-in-Chief of the FoCC Blog

Offline vegasndn

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 160
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2015, 07:22:21 AM »

Not certain. The 'lineup time' changes every year. Last year CCI threw a wrinkle into the system with handing out wristbands... and that only encouraged lineups to start earlier. I'm not sure what they will do this year: keep the system the same or change it again. It's anyone's guess as to how that might work...
are you saying there wasn't a drawing and it was first come first serve wristbands. Just telling them which autograph you wanted?

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2015, 09:08:06 AM »
are you saying there wasn't a drawing and it was first come first serve wristbands. Just telling them which autograph you wanted?

I was referring to the wristbands given out in the Hall H line.

However, some of the autograph drawings also have wristbands. They give them out *after* you draw your random ticket.

Offline vegasndn

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 160
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2015, 10:03:36 AM »
Got it, I didn't try for any autographs last yr because the garage opened at 5 am and it was already too late by that time to get in line after the doors opened. The line was long and I just went okay. I really wanted to get the GoT signing but it was not to be.
I forgot hall h had wristbands, the only hall h panel I went to was Sons of Anarchy and I just walked right in