Author Topic: Doctor Who, 2:15-3:15 pm, Hall H  (Read 18498 times)

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
Re: Doctor Who to Take Over SDCC Hall H on Thursday
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2015, 11:15:31 AM »
A part of me wonders if this is in response to Hall H being SO dead last year. Barely anyone at all was in line for Hall H on Thursday morning when I arrived. The line for everything else on the other hand was the worst I'd ever seen at that hour, going back behind and along the marina like the Hall H line normally does. Maybe they decided they needed to get some heavy hitters in there on Thursday to spread the crowds out.
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline DaveG

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 572
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2015, 11:29:54 AM »
I can see a mass exodus from the PN breakfast meetup to go get in line!

You're being too optimistic.  I think the line may already have started.  People will need to do the PN breakfast in shifts while their place in line is being held.

Friends of Comic Cons

Re: Doctor Who, 2:15-3:15 pm, Hall H
« Reply #32 on: Today at 01:45:11 AM »

Offline DRWHO42

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • FoCC Blog
  • Liked: 1750
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2015, 11:38:49 AM »

A part of me wonders if this is in response to Hall H being SO dead last year. Barely anyone at all was in line for Hall H on Thursday morning when I arrived. The line for everything else on the other hand was the worst I'd ever seen at that hour, going back behind and along the marina like the Hall H line normally does. Maybe they decided they needed to get some heavy hitters in there on Thursday to spread the crowds out.
You might be right. They needed to bolster up some attention and this will certainly do it. If I was to sum it up it was a Lightning Strike - that is my opinion though.
Time and Relative Dimension in Space - 'TARDIS' for short

Editor-in-Chief of the FoCC Blog

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2015, 11:49:40 AM »

I think since Twilight finished, they haven't wanted to have big lineups for Thursday, since they don't want people lining up before the con has begun. This is the first move away from that, and it might very well be for the reasons you suggest.

To address DaveG's point, I suspect that CCI will have measures in place to prevent lineups days in advance... but they may let them begin Tuesday night. I'll have a good view, from my room at the Hilton Bayfront. ;)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 11:54:01 AM by Transmute Jun »

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2015, 11:56:45 AM »
Yes, CCI's usual FAQs about lining up Toucan Blog usually states that no lining up will be allowed before the tents and poles are up, and they "anticipate" that being Tuesday. They've pretty much copy-pasted that every year since 2012, just changing the calendar date of the Tuesday in question.

Offline DaveG

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 572
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2015, 12:05:30 PM »
Yes, CCI's usual FAQs about lining up Toucan Blog usually states that no lining up will be allowed before the tents and poles are up, and they "anticipate" that being Tuesday. They've pretty much copy-pasted that every year since 2012, just changing the calendar date of the Tuesday in question.

I agree with all this, but have seen rabid fan bases in the past ignore rules if they think it will help them get what they want.  And CCI is notorious for not penalizing the rule breakers.  I hate to say it, but a little enforcement would go a long way to alleviate some of their issues.  If a few people lost their badges word would spread and rules would be followed.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2015, 12:17:53 PM »
I agree with all this, but have seen rabid fan bases in the past ignore rules if they think it will help them get what they want.  And CCI is notorious for not penalizing the rule breakers.  I hate to say it, but a little enforcement would go a long way to alleviate some of their issues.  If a few people lost their badges word would spread and rules would be followed.

I completely agree on both points.

Offline Angology

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2015, 12:30:17 PM »
Of course-all of the speculation about lining up early only feeds the frenzy. The more we talk about it-the earlier it will get. I think we could dial it back a little, but it is probably already too late. (Don't throw things at me-hopefully I am wrong)

I am thrilled that Doctor Who will be there! I guess Mr. Moffat isn't mad at us anymore. Would love to see the panel, but Thursdays I usually am getting my bearings (especially this year-since I don't have PN :(). I don't know if I could go straight into a hardcore lineup. I guess I have some thinking to do. (Don't we all!)
Ang

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2015, 12:37:08 PM »
I saw people lined up by 11:30 am last year on PN and it was a walk in day.   I think regardless of what's going on people are going to line up.  If the morning is slow it might not be as bad as we are predicting.  Of course I'm always getting in trouble for day dreaming.
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline dkd

• Hall H
  • Liked: 632
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2015, 12:43:15 PM »
Of course-all of the speculation about lining up early only feeds the frenzy. The more we talk about it-the earlier it will get. I think we could dial it back a little, but it is probably already too late. (Don't throw things at me-hopefully I am wrong)

I agree with you.  I, for one, am not the biggest Dr. Who fan.  Whether I go to this will depend on what else is scheduled at the same time and how crowded I think it will be.  It's no big deal if I miss it.

I will use the calendar at the SDCC site to schedule my panels.  There's a function that will show me the top ten panels that people have scheduled.  I find anything that is "top ten" has the biggest lines and I avoid them.  If the Dr. Who panel is in the top ten, you can count me out.  One less person in line.

Offline FlamedLiquid

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 128
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2015, 01:24:16 PM »
Hopefully this makes getting into ballroom 20 easier on Thursday. If these even any panels I want to see.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2015, 01:31:19 PM »
I saw people lined up by 11:30 am last year on PN and it was a walk in day.   I think regardless of what's going on people are going to line up.  If the morning is slow it might not be as bad as we are predicting.  Of course I'm always getting in trouble for day dreaming.

I agree with you... if it's just Dr. Who. But if Marvel (even Marvel TV) is there, that starts significantly adding to the number of people in line.

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2015, 01:43:25 PM »
So much for getting a good night's rest on Thursday.
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2015, 02:51:07 PM »
I don't want to do Hall H twice :(. However if this detracts from the line for Ballroom 29 where Hannibal will most likely be held, I can live with this.  Please help shorten the line for the thing I care about more THANKS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline karatekid

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 149
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2015, 03:10:29 PM »
This is when I think "Thank goodness I'm NOT a Dr. Who fan and thus not have another stress and worry to deal with.  >:D"  Hey but July 8 is a bit away maybe I can binge watch it and become a fan!  ;)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 03:13:44 PM by karatekid »
"Wax On, Wax Off"