Author Topic: Panel Predictions  (Read 9905 times)

Offline rabbitwarren

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 399
Panel Predictions
« on: October 31, 2017, 05:52:30 AM »
Ok, given returning reg is out of the way, it's not too early to guess what may show up in terms of movies.

Being a non-D23/Non-Celebration year, I'm guessing we'll see panels for Venom and Aquaman. 

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
Re: Panel Predictions
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 09:47:52 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Ok, given returning reg is out of the way, it's not too early to guess what may show up in terms of movies.

Being a non-D23/Non-Celebration year, I'm guessing we'll see panels for Venom and Aquaman.
Here are studios' release slates of SDCCI-esque films that would be released around the time of SDCCI promotion effectiveness.  This isn't comprehensive, but just my guesses on what studios COULD potentially want to bring to promote at Comic-Con 2018

* Captain Marvel & Avengers 4 (I suspect they're holding off on a name announcement until post-INFINITY WAR because it will give away a spoiler or plot point to INFINITY WAR); also Spidey sequel and potentially announcement on what all of the 'untitled' films on the slate for Phase 4.  2018 will be Marvel Studio's 10th Anniversary of IRON MAN so they could go all-out and celebrate the end of their venture that started with Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, and Cap since it seems plausible that at least a few of those characters will be finished w/INFINITY WAR or AVENGERS 4
* for DC we'll potentially have AQUAMAN, SHAZAAM, and WW2
* maybe a HAN SOLO panel?  That movie will potentially need a lot of love and massaging for the fans after an obviously very troubled production.  I'd say this is a very outside possibility though given Disney's history of not caring much about SDCCI as a promotion tool for their films
*WB might have: TEEN TITANS GO movie; LEGO MOVIE 2; maybe FANTASTIC BEASTS 2 (is that in production yet? it's slated for a Nov. 18 release but I haven't heard anything about production of this film recently); maybe GODZILLA 2
* Fox might have: THE PREDATOR (anytime we can get Shane Black in Hall H is fun times & this is an Aug. 2018 release so SDCCI 2018 would be PERFECT promotional time for this); THE DARKEST MINDS, a sci-fi YA property; maybe DARK PHOENIX
* Sony: maybe EQUALIZER 2; GOOSEBUMPS
* Universal: they might do something to hype the 25th Anniversary of JURASSIC PARK (they're already planning a celebration in 2018 in the spring, so maybe SDCCI is too late for that); also on their upcoming slate is SCARFACE remake; HALLOWEEN 'sequel' (the Danny McBride co-written film that is reportedly a sequel to the original film, ignoring the myriad of sequels and goofy continuity); DR. SEUSS' THE GRINCH

Obviously the usual TV stuff from past couple of years seemingly highly likely.  And SDCCI/studios have seemingly shifted more towards TV programming than film, so who knows.
PLANET OF THE APES and 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY will both be celebrating 50th Anniversaries so there might be cool smaller panels to celebrate those genre-defining masterpieces.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 06:39:37 AM »

Offline dkd

• Hall H
  • Liked: 632
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 10:32:38 AM »
In regards to DC's Shazam, they announced Zachary Levi will star.  It goes into production in February.  I suppose they might have enough to present for the con.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 11:05:39 AM »
In regards to DC's Shazam, they announced Zachary Levi will star.  It goes into production in February.  I suppose they might have enough to present for the con.
Definitely. I will always point to Marvel, who was shooting to first CAP film for only a few days, screening an edited scene at SDCCI.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline oneroomdisco

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 197
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 03:24:13 PM »
* maybe a HAN SOLO panel?  That movie will potentially need a lot of love and massaging for the fans after an obviously very troubled production.  I'd say this is a very outside possibility though given Disney's history of not caring much about SDCCI as a promotion tool for their films
Unless Disney decides to push the release (which, despite Ron Howard's reshoots having finished only a few weeks ago, they've seemed reluctant to do), Solo will have been out for a month and a half by the time SDCC happens. So, despite really hoping for a Star Wars presence in Hall H, I'd be fairly stunned if we got a Solo panel (or any sort of Star Wars movie panel, since Episode 9 will still be very early in production and they haven't officially confirmed any spinoffs post-Solo).

Offline jazzyj

• Gaming Lounge
  • Cheese and Carb Enthusiast
  • Liked: 302
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2017, 03:51:42 PM »
I'm hoping Game of Thrones since it's the last season but also I feel like filming may go into the summer, unless the cast takes a break for SDCC

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 06:35:29 PM »
Talking about future panels, i use to try check them out but seeing how things are more of a pain to get in any unless u try to go to smaller ones unlike hall h or ballroom 20 lol. i was told sometimes people drop or toss freebie tickets for fulfillment room but how often does that happen lol. is it worth trying to find freebies from panels like finding change or just be aware by chance find toss in trash or a recycle bin ol. cause i noticed people this past con left behind posters or tv guide stuff on recycle bins more cause not really want lol.

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2017, 01:12:05 PM »
* Captain Marvel & Avengers 4 (I suspect they're holding off on a name announcement until post-INFINITY WAR because it will give away a spoiler or plot point to INFINITY WAR); also Spidey sequel and potentially announcement on what all of the 'untitled' films on the slate for Phase 4.  2018 will be Marvel Studio's 10th Anniversary of IRON MAN so they could go all-out and celebrate the end of their venture that started with Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, and Cap since it seems plausible that at least a few of those characters will be finished w/INFINITY WAR or AVENGERS 4

This has been in the back of my mind for a few months and might motivate me to do Hall H again this year.  I skipped last year because I'm not much of a Thor or Spider-man person. But Captain Marvel and Avengers? Good lord I need to be there.

I'm starting to doubt that Star Wars will ever be back at SDCC.  It's skipped two years now. only one of which has the D23 excuse.  I'm starting to think that was a one time thing.

As far as TV goes, since Star Trek and The Orville have both been renewed, i'm betting they both show up.  And Doctor Who with the new Doctor.  Not sure what other shows are for sure renewed yet.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2017, 03:42:23 PM »
I'm starting to doubt that Star Wars will ever be back at SDCC.  It's skipped two years now. only one of which has the D23 excuse.  I'm starting to think that was a one time thing.
I agree.  It was exciting a few years back, especially when they returned for Star Wars Day (Friday used to always be Star Wars day at Comic-Con, especially during the prequel panel days and thereafter for awhile) but perhaps no more. 
Also, I just remembered that HAN SOLO release date has not changed yet from the May 25, 2018 date.  It seems highly likely that date will shift to December giving news/rumors that Ron Howard reshot the majority of the film.  Disney might want/need to create good will/buzz for a film fraught with behind the scenes problems that were covered fairly extensively in the press.  Having the cast & Howard in Hall H showing a sizzle reel of some sort and getting the crowd to go NUTS might help Disney sell the movie.
Or maybe anyone will go see a Han Solo SW film and Disney doesn't need to drop a dime on extra promotion, IDK.

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2017, 04:02:48 PM »
It seems Star Wars in general seems to be lowering their presence at SDCC. Their original booth, or at least the one they had for a decade or so, felt much more grandiose than the current booth they have.  (Anyone remember the year they had like 20 bikini Leias posing in front of a life-sized Jabba?) I would not be surprised at all if they eventually pull out of SDCC altogether, or leave just a token small booth.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2017, 05:46:24 PM »
It seems Star Wars in general seems to be lowering their presence at SDCC. Their original booth, or at least the one they had for a decade or so, felt much more grandiose than the current booth they have.  (Anyone remember the year they had like 20 bikini Leias posing in front of a life-sized Jabba?) I would not be surprised at all if they eventually pull out of SDCC altogether, or leave just a token small booth.
Nah; there is FAR too much merch to sell for them to bail - especially with another decade of SW movies down the pipe after Ep. IX

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2017, 11:50:37 AM »
Yea, anyone who can afford to loose a little bank to promote anything will have stuff for sale. i saw where the funko booth was and then saw vendors saling them as well, but guessing those who hit up the main booth are ones who stockpile for their own collect or to resale later. so there are so many possible panels to promote anything in this pop culture as they keep calling since cons now promote or show stuff from tv, movies, etc. there is so much traffic for the 4 and half days of traffic panels will get traffic some how even if it just press or some random people they will promote anything within limits or topic. alot is possible if u are more aware who or what will be there by chance.

Offline Shauni48

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 52
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2017, 06:24:49 PM »
I'm hoping that since Zach Levi is now with DC, they will fund Nerd HQ next year. It would be a great opportunity for them to take over some of the panels. They wouldn't have to compete with Marvel in Hall H or pay for those extras in Hall H.

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 457
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2017, 07:28:19 PM »
As far as Sar Wars goes, remember in 2016 Celebration was in London the weekend before SDCC, in 2017 D23 was the weekend before.  We won’t get SW in 2018, but whether or not we get a panel in 2019 will likely depend on timing of D23 and Celebration.
Sony has stopped doing SDCC.  So forget Venom, Equalizer, or Goosebumps.
Legendary seems to be opting for NYCC over SDCC.
I’m thinking it wll just be WB, Marvel, Fox, and one random one like Paramount or Dreamworks.
Netflix will probably have stuff to promote too.

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2017, 12:27:33 PM »
Netflix will probably have stuff to promote too.

Oh boy YES.  This would be exciting.  Stranger Things season 3 and whatever Defenders installment they're on at that point.  I'm looking at a list of upcoming MCU stuff though and they don't have anything listed officially.  I swear Daredevil season 3 was a certainty though.