Author Topic: Middle Earth TV Series  (Read 124 times)

Offline rabbitwarren

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 49
Middle Earth TV Series
« on: November 13, 2017, 01:13:38 pm »
Amazon is producing a TV series set before the Lord of the Rings.  It seems like the Tolkien Estate gave their approval.  I personally felt the books worked better as a series and if they were ever to film all of the Histories, it would have had to have been a TV series. 

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Online mark

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 933
Re: Middle Earth TV Series
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 02:08:02 pm »
Article says they paid $200-$250 million just for the rights, that's massive.

Offline rabbitwarren

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 49
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 04:39:30 pm »
So what would people like to see. For me, the adventures of Aragorn’s adventures, the second age and the fall of Númenor, Beren and Lúthien,

Online mark

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 933
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 07:41:56 pm »
So what would people like to see. For me, the adventures of Aragorn’s adventures, the second age and the fall of Númenor, Beren and Lúthien,

My first thoughts were like yours, taking stories from The Silmarillion and giving them some room to breathe. I really enjoyed the books that Tolkien's son edited, (Children of Hurin and Beren and Lúthien.)

Wouldn't be any hobbits though, and I wonder if they would do a series without hobbitses.

Offline lborgia88

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 12
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 07:23:57 pm »
I'm not sure if they can use the Silmarillion.  According to this article, the rights to it have never been sold by the Tolkien Estate.

That's a shame, because I'd love to see it, or some of it, on screen.

But the appendices included in The Return of the King, it seems, are fair game though, and I recall there's some First Age stuff in them, though a lot more about Numenor and the Third Age.

Something set in the Kingdoms of the Dunadain in the North in the Third Age, Arthedain, Cardolan and Rhudaur, as they battle the Witchking of Angmar (aka the Lord of the Nazgul) and ultimately lose (and the survivors become known as Rangers) could be interesting -and Rivendell elves, hobbits, and dwarves could be added to the mix there too.