Author Topic: In Memoriam  (Read 16313 times)

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1201
Re: In Memoriam
« Reply #255 on: January 15, 2018, 09:20:57 AM »
:'(  :'(  :'(

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The Cranberries lead singer Dolores O'Riordan has died in London at the age of 46, her publicist says.

The Irish musician, originally from Limerick, led the band to international success in the 90s with singles including Linger and Zombie.

A statement from her publicist said: "The lead singer with the Irish band The Cranberries was in London for a short recording session.

"No further details are available at this time."

It added: "Family members are devastated to hear the breaking news and have requested privacy at this very difficult time."

Irish rock band Kodaline were among the first to pay tribute on social media.

"[He] was to tell that story once, to one person only, and much later in his life." - Fred Saberhagen

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 61
« Reply #256 on: January 15, 2018, 10:30:21 AM »
I have heard of them but not sure what songs off hand but sux how so many people over time have passed away for one reason or another.  :(

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #257 on: March 13, 2018, 10:36:16 PM »

Breaking News: The physicist Stephen Hawking has died at 76. He roamed the cosmos from a wheelchair, making discoveries that changed how we see the universe.

"[He] was to tell that story once, to one person only, and much later in his life." - Fred Saberhagen

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1614
« Reply #258 on: March 13, 2018, 11:07:00 PM »

Breaking News: The physicist Stephen Hawking has died at 76. He roamed the cosmos from a wheelchair, making discoveries that changed how we see the universe.

No way!  What a terrible loss to the scientific community. 

Thanks for sharing that article, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.  It was a really nice read and summary of his life and achievements.  :]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline ocwankenobi

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 67
« Reply #259 on: March 14, 2018, 08:34:18 AM »

No way!  What a terrible loss to the scientific community. 

Thanks for sharing that article, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.  It was a really nice read and summary of his life and achievements.  :]

I learned a lot of scientific topics from this man.  But my favorite memory of him was just how hilarious or vulnerable he was being on Big Bang Theory.  Rest in peace sir.

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #260 on: March 16, 2018, 12:07:29 PM »

In 2007, Erik Viirre, Associate Director of the Clarke Center, was fortunate to share a unique experience with the great Stephen Hawking: taking him into zero gravity. He shares his remembrance of the intellectual giant with Brian Keating here, in honor of Hawking's passing on March 14, 2018.

Offline Lord Bacon

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 19
« Reply #261 on: April 20, 2018, 12:19:32 PM »
Sad day in the world of EDM today. Famous Swedish DJ Avicii died today at the age of 28. Sad to hear that such a talented artist died at such a young age :(

Offline DRWHO42

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • FoCC Blog
  • Liked: 1424
« Reply #262 on: April 20, 2018, 12:25:49 PM »
Sad day in the world of EDM today. Famous Swedish DJ Avicii died today at the age of 28. Sad to hear that such a talented artist died at such a young age :(

I’m shocked about this.
Time and Relative Dimension in Space - 'TARDIS' for short

Editor-in-Chief of the FoCC Blog

Offline Lord Bacon

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 19
« Reply #263 on: April 20, 2018, 12:54:03 PM »
I’m shocked about this.

Yea, it caught me by surprise as well. Really enjoyed his music especially the song 'Seek Bromance'.

Offline DRWHO42

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • FoCC Blog
  • Liked: 1424
« Reply #264 on: April 21, 2018, 02:28:33 PM »
Verne Troyer aka Mini-me from the Austin Powers franchise passed away today at the age of 49.
Time and Relative Dimension in Space - 'TARDIS' for short

Editor-in-Chief of the FoCC Blog

Offline Michael M

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
  • "I don't believe in a no-win scenario"
  • Liked: 659
« Reply #265 on: April 21, 2018, 03:01:38 PM »
Say what?  No f'n way!  49??
If I had a nickel for every nickel I had...

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #266 on: April 22, 2018, 07:48:46 AM »
fanxsaltlake We are saddened to hear of the passing of con alum Verne Troyer. Our team is very grateful that we had a chance to meet him at FanX 2017. He was such a fun and interesting guy. Our thoughts are with his family and friends. Verne, you will be missed. #RIPvernetroyer #vernetroyer

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #267 on: May 14, 2018, 10:28:48 AM »
 :'(

Margot Kidder died Sunday, May 13, 2018 at her home in Livingston, Montana the age of 69, according to People. The reported cause of death has not been released.

Kidder was born Margaret Ruth Kidder in Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, Canada on October 17, 1948. She began acting in 1968 with The Best Damn Fiddler from Calabogie to Kaladar, but rose to fame with roles in 1970's Quackser Fortune Has a Cousin in the Bronx, 1973's Sisters, and 1975's The Great Waldo Pepper.

In 1976, Kidder was cast for what would become her most iconic role - Lois Lane in 1978's Superman: The Movie. Starring opposite Christopher Reeve's Superman, Kidder won a Saturn Award for her role and subsequently reprised it in three sequels.

Kidder is survived by one daughter and two grandchildren.

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1614
« Reply #268 on: May 14, 2018, 09:07:12 PM »
:'(

Margot Kidder died Sunday, May 13, 2018 at her home in Livingston, Montana the age of 69, according to People. The reported cause of death has not been released.

Kidder was born Margaret Ruth Kidder in Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, Canada on October 17, 1948. She began acting in 1968 with The Best Damn Fiddler from Calabogie to Kaladar, but rose to fame with roles in 1970's Quackser Fortune Has a Cousin in the Bronx, 1973's Sisters, and 1975's The Great Waldo Pepper.

In 1976, Kidder was cast for what would become her most iconic role - Lois Lane in 1978's Superman: The Movie. Starring opposite Christopher Reeve's Superman, Kidder won a Saturn Award for her role and subsequently reprised it in three sequels.

Kidder is survived by one daughter and two grandchildren.

Awww, what terrible news.

While I loved her in The Amityville Horror, I think her portrayal of Lois Lane really helped define the character's courage, determination, and independence for a generation or two or three (ha ha).  She was always my favorite Lois Lane.  ^__^  My dad is a big fan of Superman (which I think was how I got my first exposure to the superhero genre in general), so he and I used to watch those movies together when I was a kid.

Also found this tidbit on NBC's website:

In 2009, Kidder correctly predicted that she would be remembered most for playing Lois Lane as she reflected on a career that included more than 60 movies and dozens of TV appearances in an interview with the A.V. Club.

"I’ll have that inscribed on my damn grave," she said. "I still get stopped for being Lois Lane, and I’m 60 and have two grandchildren. So it’s kind of weird."

XD Ha ha. 
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 09:13:54 PM by Zero »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...