Author Topic: Luggage shipping service  (Read 1837 times)

Offline tacofan

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 4
Luggage shipping service
« on: March 23, 2017, 01:30:32 PM »
I just took a flight for work in which I had to fly basic economy.  By the time I boarded all of the overheads had been filled, and I had to check my bag which resulted in a wasted $25 and waiting at baggage claim upon arrival.  Because I'm flying to SDCC, I'm really reluctant to upgrade to premium economy to secure an overhead spot and don't want to risk a repeat of that previous experience.  A colleague recommended using a luggage shipping service in which the you have your bag picked up at your home/office and the service delivers it to your hotel or address where you'll be staying.  Has anyone used or tried such a service?  Thanks!

Offline MarvelGurl

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 273
Re: Luggage shipping service
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 02:31:54 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I just took a flight for work in which I had to fly basic economy.  By the time I boarded all of the overheads had been filled, and I had to check my bag which resulted in a wasted $25 and waiting at baggage claim upon arrival.  Because I'm flying to SDCC, I'm really reluctant to upgrade to premium economy to secure an overhead spot and don't want to risk a repeat of that previous experience.  A colleague recommended using a luggage shipping service in which the you have your bag picked up at your home/office and the service delivers it to your hotel or address where you'll be staying.  Has anyone used or tried such a service?  Thanks!

May I ask what airline this was? In my experience they will always gate check your carry on for free if it can't fit under the seat and all overhead space has been filled.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 03:34:30 PM »

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 03:46:27 PM »
I think I've heard of FedEx offering a service like this, but I've never used anything of that sort. i'm the type that pays for priority boarding to get the overhead bin space. ;)

Offline Roo_bear

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 23
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 06:21:00 PM »
I work at Fedex and pick up and drop off luggage all the time. It works fine if you have sturdy luggage. It will go on the conveyor belt with all the other boxes. That's where the issue may arise. And then there's the cost. Jet fuel is expensive. So shipping your suitcase may be as well.
Sdcc 2016,2017, 2019.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 03:55:15 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I work at Fedex and pick up and drop off luggage all the time. It works fine if you have sturdy luggage. It will go on the conveyor belt with all the other boxes. That's where the issue may arise. And then there's the cost. Jet fuel is expensive. So shipping your suitcase may be as well.
thanks for the heads up [member=5605]Roo_bear[/member]. I may have to use a luggage shipping service from Anaheim to New Hampshire....
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline tacofan

• Freebie Table
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 08:48:59 AM »
[member=2500]MarvelGurl[/member] My flight was United.  I asked the travel person at work about this issue, and she got back to me today.  She said that the major airlines, with the exception of SW, have the similar policy when you buy a "basic economy" ticket.

[member=5605]Roo_bear[/member] Thanks for the answer!  My plan was to ship my bag to the Fed Ex Office location that's nearest to my hotel (depending on Hotelpocalypse) about one week before SDCC and just pick it up before checking in.  In your opinion, is a week in advance enough time to get from the east coast to SD by land (trying to save some money on the shipping cost) and is it worth packing it in a box?  I'll be using a carry-on roller bag that'll probably weigh 35-40 lbs.  Thanks!

Offline Roo_bear

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 23
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 10:05:50 AM »
If you're using Fedex ground, 1 week is usually enough time, and it will cost significantly less than Fedex express. Express does all the overnight shipping.
Sdcc 2016,2017, 2019.

Offline tacofan

• Freebie Table
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 07:41:53 PM »
[member=5605]Roo_bear[/member] Thanks!