Author Topic: NYCC Presents - An Evening With Mark Hamill  (Read 5128 times)

Offline mllNY

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1089
Re: An Evening With Mark Hamill
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2017, 05:55:23 PM »
[member=2091]sefton42[/member] I don't disagree this is a part of NYCC presents which  has been billed as separate events but they way this one was done I think is the issue, to me at least
2023 Cons: Five Points Festival, SDCC, Toy Fair, NYCC, IX, PAX Unplugged

Offline mllNY

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2017, 06:03:50 PM »
star wars panel...

you heard it here first

Friends of Comic Cons

Re: NYCC Presents - An Evening With Mark Hamill
« Reply #17 on: Today at 03:12:50 PM »

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 457
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2017, 06:04:31 PM »
I'm not disagreeing that the way they did it was confusing.  All I'm saying is that there is something to be said for being able to see Hamill without standing in line for hours.  Not San Diego lines, but I would think people that if Hamill has a panel at the con, people will start lining up by 5am if not earlier.

Offline mllNY

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2017, 06:17:50 PM »
I know what you are saying. To me it is just odd that that Panel is Saturday night and the way the email came out. I know people that bought, I just think there will be other content at the same time.

If Hamill had a Panel they may use main stage or they could use MSG. Though I think based on that statement it could be more than just Hamill.

The panel he's on... Not the Hamill Panel. Could be Batman, Could be something from a Galaxy Far Far Away, could be another project

Offline dkd

• Hall H
  • Liked: 632
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2017, 07:14:15 AM »
Reedpop is a "for profit" organization and they are experts at milking the fan for every dollar they can get out of them.

I'm not anti-business by any measure.  I'm just stating the facts.

I go to SDCC and I go to NYCC because it's in my backyard.  To me, the key difference between SDCC and NYCC is that this would have been a Hall H panel at SDCC.  At NYCC, which has a shortage of panels relative to its number of attendees, it's a "hey, let's make more money" panel.

Of course, I'm sure Mr. Hamill gets a nice chunk of the box office.

Offline mllNY

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2017, 07:30:27 AM »
They are for profit, but I still think there may be a Hamill Panel attached to NYCC. But if you announce that one first and then announce the NYCC Presentes one you may lose sales to people saying they will just do the one attached to the show

Offline XeRbeS

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 22
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2017, 07:32:27 AM »
It would be different if they only charged the $10 entrance fee for the convention as the rest of the traveling circus/discount electronics/car sales bamboozlers grifters  shady deceptive businesses do.

You go to the carnival, pay $5 entrance fee, $20 for an arm band with unlimited rides or pay tickets per individual rides.

A few thoughts could be:
  • Paying for a panel at a convention you've already paid for.
  • Paying more for the option to choose your seat.
  • Paying to not stand in line.
  • Paying to cover rising talent cost.
  • Paying to increase overall profits.

These types of practice are normal in the business world, but have not been (and complete disregards) tradition in the convention scene. It does not cater or service the fans.
Working on D.S.A. for SDCC 2K18.

Offline dkd

• Hall H
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2017, 08:30:03 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
These types of practice are normal in the business world, but have not been (and complete disregards) tradition in the convention scene. It does not cater or service the fans.

It is certainly an evolution of the convention scene as it has changed from being a gathering of fans to a source of revenue. 

As it's become more and more acceptable to charge fans for autographs, photo ops, and, now, panels, you see more and more celebrities coming to these "for profit" conventions to earn serious cash.  I can understand why.

Personally, I won't pay for an autograph or a photo op because it would make me feel like a fool and I honestly can't think of a single celebrity that would overcome that feeling.  But, as long as plenty of fans will do so, the evolution toward seeing "fans as a source of revenue" will continue.  The only thing that will make it stop if for people to just balk and not pay.

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2017, 09:24:13 AM »

Personally, I won't pay for an autograph or a photo op because it would make me feel like a fool and I honestly can't think of a single celebrity that would overcome that feeling.  But, as long as plenty of fans will do so, the evolution toward seeing "fans as a source of revenue" will continue.  The only thing that will make it stop if for people to just balk and not pay.

I agree with this, it feels very foolish to pay for a photo or autograph. I've only ever considered it once and it was for Nichelle Nichols b/c she's such an icon and history-maker. I know she didn't come out of Star Trek with the kind of deals celebrities get today and I wouldn't mind paying her for the opportunity. Current celebrities though? Give me a break. No way man. They are already making more per year than I've made so far in my entire life. Nope.
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline dkd

• Hall H
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2017, 10:38:31 AM »
I agree with this, it feels very foolish to pay for a photo or autograph. I've only ever considered it once and it was for Nichelle Nichols b/c she's such an icon and history-maker. I know she didn't come out of Star Trek with the kind of deals celebrities get today and I wouldn't mind paying her for the opportunity. Current celebrities though? Give me a break. No way man. They are already making more per year than I've made so far in my entire life. Nope.

I think think the unfortunate prospect here is that if this succeeds financially, it sets a precedent for more panels that might have been part of the convention to get set aside as separate events with separate tickets.

I certainly have attended "one man show" type events on Broadway and Off-Broadway.  I went to Hugh Jackman's years ago.  It was good.  But, this seems like a trial balloon to see if they can move some events from being part of the convention to being a separate charge.

Offline Ultron32

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2017, 10:40:37 AM »
I think think the unfortunate prospect here is that if this succeeds financially, it sets a precedent for more panels that might have been part of the convention to get set aside as separate events with separate tickets.

I certainly have attended "one man show" type events on Broadway and Off-Broadway.  I went to Hugh Jackman's years ago.  It was good.  But, this seems like a trial balloon to see if they can move some events from being part of the convention to being a separate charge.
Bingo. What scares me is that this will sell out.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

NYCC 2009-2021

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2017, 11:17:09 AM »
So far, 14 of those 25 front row seats are still available. All the cheap seats are gone. Everything left now is $100+
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2017, 11:38:54 AM »
Didn't they do something similar a few years ago with the Next Gen cast?

Offline dkd

• Hall H
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2017, 11:53:07 AM »
Could you imagine if SDCC wasn't a non-profit?  They could solve their Hall H line problem very easily.  $1000 to be in the "front and center" section on Saturday.  $500 to be in the next closest sections.  And so on.  $15 to be in the back.

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2017, 12:06:04 PM »
Well there are people advocating for selling Hall H tickets to solve the line problem ...