Author Topic: the annual couch potato thread or what's your preferd 'get in shape' activity?  (Read 129145 times)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
i dusted off the treadmill today.... and did some of my strength thingies.

and

put on the wrist monitor (fitbit)

i supposes i should join the group for Fitbit motivation... but i'm not that motivated
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline catvonawesome

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 359
Jumping back into this thread again. I've got a fairly hard goal for my Comic Con get in shape plan. Working on food right now plus gradually increasing my workouts. Yoga and Jillian Michaels every day. I will be back into my smaller skinny jeans for July! But mostly I just want the tons of walking to not hurt. Plus practicing making better food choices when dining out.

My diet mantra for SDCC this year: No thank you Mrs. Fields and Auntie Anne!! 
Do these tacos taste funny to you?

Friends of Comic Cons

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
I'm still struggling to find a viable exercise routine. The last time I would have considered myself to be in shape I had a solid routine consisting of weight lifting, running and martial arts, one that could absorb all manner of dietary sins.  Then I got hit with this weird muscular problem that still stubbornly resists diagnosis, and I had to give up pretty much all strenuous exercise. But I never made the obvious changes to my diet to compensate.

Switching to a low-sodium diet has (so far) helped with that piece of the puzzle. It's a total pain in the butt, sodium is everywhere, but I've been able to commit to it in way that I never have for other diets. I think it's because my weird brain can take the notion of staying under 1500 mg/day and treat it as a problem to be solved, instead of a more abstract goal.

Offline catvonawesome

• Ballroom 20
Oh I totally get that. I used to be in much better shape, but aging body plus weird pains has really slowed down what I do. The yoga is helping a LOT. I've used it to replace the zone out meditation of running because my feet can't do it anymore. Not without pain anyway.

But, even with low impact workouts, I'm starting to feel like I need to talk to my doctor. I already don't eat or rarely eat red meat, or rice, or pasta, or pork, or fast foods, and yet, I'm still struggling so much to get any weight off.  And there's all these other little things that I was taking as unrelated issues that I'm starting to think are all part of a larger issue. 

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I started Weight Watchers again after Comicpalooza last year (May). I have been doing well-have lost 35 pounds so far.

I ran into [member=364]Angology[/member] last night and I have to say that she looks fabulous! Her hard work has really paid off!

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
Well, I suppose I haven't tried everything.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
Actually, the ladies who invented goat yoga were on The Amazing Race.

Offline Angology

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
I ran into [member=364]Angology[/member] last night and I have to say that she looks fabulous! Her hard work has really paid off!
Awww! Thanks! It was great seeing you. I wish we could have done dinner.

And now to get back on track! We added the concierge lounge to our reservation, and many desserts were had (little ones, but still).
Ang

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7001
here's a great article about food and dieting
it's the Quality vs. Quantity hypothesis tested.

The Key to Weight Loss Is Diet Quality, Not Quantity, a New Study Finds
By ANAHAD O’CONNORFEB. 20, 2018

Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline superkatchick

• Supporter
  • Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 129
i dusted off the treadmill today.... and did some of my strength thingies.

and

put on the wrist monitor (fitbit)

i supposes i should join the group for Fitbit motivation... but i'm not that motivated

My insurance just gave me a free fitbit zip so this intrigues me! What is the Fitbit group and how do I join? I've been SUPER lazy lately and need a good motivator!

Offline catvonawesome

• Ballroom 20
So my workout this weekend was moving! Just a block away but whew my whole body hurts and I'm really feeling like a 90 year old today. I ate terribly but I think I burned most of it off anyway. It was over 80 degrees yesterday! So much fun hauling boxes.

My workout for the coming week will be unpacking things and arranging furniture so I have room to do a workout. ;)

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
My insurance just gave me a free fitbit zip so this intrigues me! What is the Fitbit group and how do I join? I've been SUPER lazy lately and need a good motivator!
I wish I had a fitbit for kickboxing.  I don't dare wear my Apple Watch for that, but I'm really curious to know how many calories I burn in a 60 minute class.  One guy w/a fitbit regularly burns 1000+ calories a class, though he's in WAY better shape/agile than I (I still fail at quite a bit of core training stuff so I assume this guy in great shape who's been in the class for awhile is burning more than me).
Have fun with that thing!

Offline comicconfamily

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Instagram: @ComicConFamily
    • Comic Con Family
  • Liked: 160
I'm desperately trying to get motivated again. I was walking on the treadmill daily before -- at least 8000 steps a day and a few days over 10K, which was huge for me. I got sick in December and just stopped.  :( I've been hit or miss with wearing my fitbit too (more miss than hit). And once again, WonderCon and Disneyland killed my feet and legs. I was doing StepBet which was hugely motivating for me before so I think I should probably start that again.
SDCC 2011 - 2022
WonderCon 2017 - 2022

Offline Angology

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
I'm desperately trying to get motivated again. I was walking on the treadmill daily before -- at least 8000 steps a day and a few days over 10K, which was huge for me. I got sick in December and just stopped.  :( I've been hit or miss with wearing my fitbit too (more miss than hit). And once again, WonderCon and Disneyland killed my feet and legs. I was doing StepBet which was hugely motivating for me before so I think I should probably start that again.
You and me both. I finally started working out again this week. Preview Night is 103 days away. That should be some kind of motivation. Stepbet looks interesting!
Ang

Offline brand4d2

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 291
I need to get in on this StepBet!   I could have been killing it all this time! ;)

My Fitbit one completely died recently...put thousands of miles on it over 2 years so now I have a new Charge 2 Fitbit. 

This Saturday will be my second time doing the American Lung Association’s stair climb event in Los Angeles.   It’s going to be very warm that day and my wave isn’t until 11:45 am so I may not beat last year’s time.  I won’t kill myself trying to beat I though as the important thing is that I’m doing this for lung disease research and to honor my late father.