Author Topic: Pokemon Go is great for getting into walking shape before SDCC!  (Read 13636 times)

Offline Pyramid

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Comic Con is a Black Hole for my wallet.
  • Liked: 549
Pokemon Go
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2016, 10:55:05 PM »
At my daughter's insistence, I downloaded and installed Pokemon Go.  What a mistake ... so addicting and yes, I'am now hooked!  We've walked 16 miles so far this week!?!  If there are any Pokestops at Comic Con, we'll be hitting them up.  Anyone else play this yet?
Twitter feed:  wes@comicconster

Offline Car_Low

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 610
Re: Pokemon Go
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2016, 10:59:40 PM »
Plenty of pokestops and gyms downtown should keep you busy provided the servers even or work or the Internet overall with all the people.

Friends of Comic Cons

Offline Pyramid

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2016, 11:08:50 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Plenty of pokestops and gyms downtown should keep you busy provided the servers even or work or the Internet overall with all the people.

Glad to hear about the stops!  We had thought about going golfing on Friday, since we arrive a day early (we only snagged Saturday and Sunday badges) we are now talking about walking around downtown and snagging some Pokemons.  Definitely buying a charger for my new cell phone!

Offline brand4d2

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 291
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2016, 11:12:21 PM »
We have another thread about this so I suspect we'll get a topic merge  ;)

If Gaslamp and downtown SD business owners are especially savvy, they'll pay for the lure modules which will draw hungry and thirsty Pokemon hunters to their establishments.    I suspect that's what some of my local businesses are doing because it just so happens that the lure spots I see showing up on my map are in front of restaurants.   

It's been a lot of fun for me but also completely amazing to see what a phenomenon it's become here in Los Angeles and the app hasn't even been out for a full week.    When stopping by those aforementioned spots tonight, there must have been a good 50 fifty congregating there to catch Pokemon. 
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 11:15:12 PM by brand4d2 »

Offline Pyramid

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2016, 11:17:26 PM »
We have another thread about this so I suspect we'll get a topic merge  ;)

If Gaslamp and downtown SD business owners are especially savvy, they'll pay for the lure modules which will draw hungry and thirsty Pokemon hunters to their establishments.    I suspect that's what some of my local businesses are doing because it just so happens that the lure spots I see showing up on my map are in front of restaurants.

I looked and I could've sworn there was a Video Games thread but couldn't find it.  Thanks for the heads up though.  :)  I saw on Twitter a real estate listing that mentions as selling points: Pokegym nearby and 5 Pokestops.  lol

Offline jasperthecactus

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 25
Re: Pokemon Go is great for getting into walking shape before SDCC!
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2016, 04:22:10 PM »
I was out most of the day today catching Pokemon and the best part was seeing how many people I passed on the street were also playing! Lots of calling out "Did you catch that Graveler in the park??!" and "Team Blue in the house!" (I live in a very Team Red neighborhood, so finding some of my own was especially exciting). Makes me so glad to live somewhere like NYC where there is a pokestop on every corner!

I will definitely be ready for SDCC this year!
SDCC: 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, 2019
ECCC: 2018, 2019
RCCC: 2018

“I am, and always will be, the optimist. The hoper of far-flung hopes, and the dreamer of improbable dreams.”

Offline Miss Kitty

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 738
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2016, 05:27:11 PM »
I'm finding this fun, hilarious and smelly all at the same time. People at work are all into it now and there's a pokestop down the street, so people that are totally out of shape (yea them!!) are going down the hill to get balls. Notice I said down hill. So back uphill for out of shape office peeps that don't have deodorant at their desk. PU!!! So yeah, they need to allot some time to run upstairs and hit the showers after their refill. haha

Are your movie theatres packed with stuff too? Ours are. I'm really curious to see what the convention center and Gaslamp will look like! Curious if they have a special sumpin' sumpin' we can find there!! Probably not, since it's so new and they are still working on the bugs.

Offline Pyramid

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2016, 06:47:46 PM »
Walked 8.5 miles today playing Pokemon Go!  My feet are so sore.  Ran into several groups of people playing; not one kid among them.  Had several conversations with people I've never met before telling me where a rare is, asking if I had a lure module, etc.  This game is super addicting and healthy!

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
Pokemon Go is great for getting into walking shape before SDCC!
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2016, 07:04:40 PM »
I've walked 13 miles over 3 days. Damn guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline brand4d2

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 291
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2016, 12:16:10 AM »
In the fitness thread, we have step challenges every work week and then every weekend.   

[member=4434]Angel_K[/member], you would have placed 5th this weekend which isn't bad at all!

[member=1731]Pyramid[/member], you probably would have been 8th, not bad at all for a day's work!

Personally, I walked around 12 miles today but that wasn't even good enough to win our weekend steps challenge.   Oh well, at least I caught a Hitmonlee, Gobat and Rhydon.   

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2016, 12:39:45 AM »
lol wow! This isn't normal for me.  I usually walk about a mile a day total.  That's the distance between my bus stops and work/home.  Maybe a mile and a half of I'm running an errant.  So 4+ miles a day is way out there for me.  But it feels great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline epicaz

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 264
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2016, 01:18:36 AM »
Haha!   And I can imagine all Pokemon players huddling together while passers by ask what they're all in line for or what's being given out. 

Parks seem to be a great location to visit as a friend in AZ caught a Venusaur while I caught a Growlithe with CP 160 at a park in Los Angeles.

WOW a Venusaur?! Now that's awesome! Happy it's up and running again, I've been playing it every time I've been out :P

Offline BadWolf

• Volunteer HQ
  • It's all the same to the many faced god.
  • Liked: 691
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2016, 06:55:02 AM »
I was out most of the day today catching Pokemon and the best part was seeing how many people I passed on the street were also playing! Lots of calling out "Did you catch that Graveler in the park??!" and "Team Blue in the house!" (I live in a very Team Red neighborhood, so finding some of my own was especially exciting). Makes me so glad to live somewhere like NYC where there is a pokestop on every corner!

I will definitely be ready for SDCC this year!

I know no team but the team in the North, whose name is Mystic.

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2016, 11:47:36 AM »
I know no team but the team in the North, whose name is Mystic.

Team Valor, Fire & Blood.

Offline Pyramid

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2016, 12:13:33 PM »
In the fitness thread, we have step challenges every work week and then every weekend.   

[member=4434]Angel_K[/member], you would have placed 5th this weekend which isn't bad at all!

[member=1731]Pyramid[/member], you probably would have been 8th, not bad at all for a day's work!

Personally, I walked around 12 miles today but that wasn't even good enough to win our weekend steps challenge.   Oh well, at least I caught a Hitmonlee, Gobat and Rhydon.

I'll be joining the Fitness Thread!  Ended up walking 12.5 miles yesterday.  Woke up sore, stretched and went back out for 3.4 miles.  Met a fellow member of Team Valor! almost took down a Gym controlled by Team Mystic but it glitched.  Level 13 now.

Pro Tips in case you haven't figured these out:
- Save your Pidgeys and transfer and evolve when you have a Lucky Egg.  You'll double XP and jump levels like crazy.
- Try to get two other team members to take control of a gym.  Your team will take on the Pokemon guarding the gym 3-1.  If you can take more team members do it.
- Map your walk by parks.
- If you have an Android, download an area map while Pokemon hunting.  This will stop your phone from constantly checking its GPS.  It will still check, just not as much, saving your battery.
- Get a battery pack!  Still looking for the best one for the Nexus 5X.
- Use your Lures at a Pokestop that is around several others.  You'll catch 2 or 3x as many Pokemon.