Author Topic: San Francisco Comic Con - September 1-3, 2017  (Read 7885 times)

Offline Lavendar

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 71
Re: San Francisco Comic Con - September 1-3, 2017
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2017, 10:00:13 AM »
i noticed it was cash photo ops, is there anything else that goes on? or just a bunch of standing in line for your turn?

Offline Lavendar

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2017, 07:36:46 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
i noticed it was cash photo ops, is there anything else that goes on? or just a bunch of standing in line for your turn?

found the schedule

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 06:18:33 AM »

Offline ninjagoblin

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2017, 09:34:56 AM »
Then I'll be sure to not tell you everything you have already found.  ;)
My superpower is the ability to rationalize anything.

Offline ninjagoblin

• Freebie Table
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2017, 11:10:08 AM »
Anyone thinking of coming in from out of town for SFCC and would like to find alternatives to the SF Marriot Marquis due to pricing may want to consider some of the hotels near BART stations in the East Bay. While I don't work for any of these hotels or BART I can vouch for just how easy it is to get from any of these hotels, to a BART station and then a short walk from either the Montgomery or Powell St stations to The Moscone Center (I would recommend Montgomery, it may be slightly further out but Powell opens up right onto the Cable Car Turn-around so the street is usually packed on weekends)

Hope this helps anyone out who is looking for alternatives. (and again, I do not work for BART or any of the hotels listed, I'm just a local trying to help out)

Pleasant Hill Bart - Embassy Suites Walnut Creek as low as 198 a night (0.1 Mile, 3 min walk)
Walnut Creek Bart — Walnut Creek Marriott as low as 151 a night (0.4 mile, 10 min walk)
Lafayette Bart — Lafayette Park Hotel as low as 209 a night (2.4 miles, 5 min drive)
12th St Oakland Station — Courtyard by Marriott Downtown Oakland as low as 144 a night (0.2 mile, 5 min walk)
Downtown Berkeley Station — Hotel Shattuck Plaza as low as 199 a night (<0.1 miles, 2 min walk)

Offline Lavendar

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2017, 12:36:53 PM »
I hope this isn't a cruel cruel joke

San Francisco CC FB Page

Peter Capaldi will be a guest at the September 1-3, San Francisco Comic Con at Moscone West!

Peter is best known as the 12th incarnation of the Doctor in Doctor Who! Appearing Saturday and Sunday only.

To pre-order tickets for the September 1-3, San Francisco Comic Con, and to book your hotel room in the discounted room block, please visit: sanfrancomiccon.com/tickets/

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2017, 05:06:43 PM »
I just saw that. Now THAT is a big name guest for the con!

Offline jazzyj

• Gaming Lounge
  • Cheese and Carb Enthusiast
  • Liked: 302
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2017, 10:23:55 PM »
Gahhh I'm so excited now that Peter Capaldi will be there! I wonder what else SFCC has up their sleeves?

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2017, 02:36:25 AM »
That's great news about Capaldi.  Hopefully there will be a panel announced later. Want to second [member=6949]ninjagoblin[/member] 's advice, it's easy to get there via BART, we'll be taking it from the South Bay.

Also waiting to see what the Metreon IMAX will be showing on those dates, hopefully something good.

Offline Lavendar

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2017, 09:35:33 AM »
That's great news about Capaldi.  Hopefully there will be a panel announced later. Want to second [member=6949]ninjagoblin[/member] 's advice, it's easy to get there via BART, we'll be taking it from the South Bay.

Also waiting to see what the Metreon IMAX will be showing on those dates, hopefully something good.

Yes there will be a panel, Sat  @ Noon RM 3001, looks to hold 300.  Will this turn into an SDCC line nightmare?
Gareth David-Lloyd of Torchwood also on panel.

Offline Lavendar

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2017, 03:12:07 PM »
Anyone thinking of coming in from out of town for SFCC and would like to find alternatives to the SF Marriot Marquis due to pricing may want to consider some of the hotels near BART stations in the East Bay. While I don't work for any of these hotels or BART I can vouch for just how easy it is to get from any of these hotels, to a BART station and then a short walk from either the Montgomery or Powell St stations to The Moscone Center (I would recommend Montgomery, it may be slightly further out but Powell opens up right onto the Cable Car Turn-around so the street is usually packed on weekends)

Hope this helps anyone out who is looking for alternatives. (and again, I do not work for BART or any of the hotels listed, I'm just a local trying to help out)

Pleasant Hill Bart - Embassy Suites Walnut Creek as low as 198 a night (0.1 Mile, 3 min walk)
Walnut Creek Bart — Walnut Creek Marriott as low as 151 a night (0.4 mile, 10 min walk)
Lafayette Bart — Lafayette Park Hotel as low as 209 a night (2.4 miles, 5 min drive)
12th St Oakland Station — Courtyard by Marriott Downtown Oakland as low as 144 a night (0.2 mile, 5 min walk)
Downtown Berkeley Station — Hotel Shattuck Plaza as low as 199 a night (<0.1 miles, 2 min walk)

I also don't work for any hotel or SFCC. 

I certainly don't want to start a turf war, but would like to paint a bigger picture.  SFCC does depend on ppl booking those rooms to get future deals.

There may be higher taxes, tourism for SF hotels, but the MM is only $215/night.  The hotels above aren't that much less and add $7 (at least) for fares and you have to ask yourself how much $$$ vs time you are saving.   Not to mention a quick trip to your room, can make all the difference in your con experience, especially cosplayers.

Around 12:30am is the last train out of the city and on Sat evening/Sundays you have to change trains to/from Berkeley.  Check out the quick trip planner
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login   If you don't get to SF much, it would be a shame to miss the nightlife.

There is more than one exit  at Powell St and don't have to run into cable car turn around crowds and even still worth it not to walk, given there is already plenty of that.  It's just a matter of crossing the street and you are out of it.  Montgomery is kinda of a hike to Moscone, if you don't have to.  See map

While SF is known for it's cooler weather. Downtown SF in Sept is our hottest time so it could get a bit warm, 80's into 90 degrees, bit of humidity this summer so far.

Offline ninjagoblin

• Freebie Table
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2017, 07:59:51 AM »
I also don't work for any hotel or SFCC. 

I certainly don't want to start a turf war, but would like to paint a bigger picture.  SFCC does depend on ppl booking those rooms to get future deals.

There may be higher taxes, tourism for SF hotels, but the MM is only $215/night.  The hotels above aren't that much less and add $7 (at least) for fares and you have to ask yourself how much $$$ vs time you are saving.   Not to mention a quick trip to your room, can make all the difference in your con experience, especially cosplayers.

Around 12:30am is the last train out of the city and on Sat evening/Sundays you have to change trains to/from Berkeley.  Check out the quick trip planner
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login   If you don't get to SF much, it would be a shame to miss the nightlife.

There is more than one exit  at Powell St and don't have to run into cable car turn around crowds and even still worth it not to walk, given there is already plenty of that.  It's just a matter of crossing the street and you are out of it.  Montgomery is kinda of a hike to Moscone, if you don't have to.  See map

While SF is known for it's cooler weather. Downtown SF in Sept is our hottest time so it could get a bit warm, 80's into 90 degrees, bit of humidity this summer so far.

I fully agree. It is important that we support the MM as much as possible in hopes that more deals can be obtained. And having stayed there last year I can say with confidence that the rooms are very nice. My only intention is to provide alternatives for people trying to save a buck and who may want to see more than just SF Downtown.

To expand on the Powell Station vs. Montgomery Station a bit, while there are multiple exits and one is the cable car turn around the other drops into the middle of the Westfield Mall. And while the Powell Station is closer, 0.3 miles from Moscone, Montgomery is only 0.6 away. And considering how much walking I know I do at cons, 0.3 miles extra is nothing.

Personally for me the beauty of SFCC and its access to BART lines is that the city of San Francisco is unique in the Bay Area as being the only city which receives direct (no transfer required) trains from all four East Bay hubs.

And just a reminder, this is still San Francisco. No matter what the weather is like in the day time bring a jacket for the nights or risk having to wear the official "I'm visiting San Francisco and thought all CA weather is like what i see in movies and TV (LA)" sweater with "San Francisco" embossed on it... Its how we locals identify tourists ;)

Offline Lavendar

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2017, 09:24:41 AM »
I fully agree. It is important that we support the MM as much as possible in hopes that more deals can be obtained. And having stayed there last year I can say with confidence that the rooms are very nice. My only intention is to provide alternatives for people trying to save a buck and who may want to see more than just SF Downtown.

To expand on the Powell Station vs. Montgomery Station a bit, while there are multiple exits and one is the cable car turn around the other drops into the middle of the Westfield Mall. And while the Powell Station is closer, 0.3 miles from Moscone, Montgomery is only 0.6 away. And considering how much walking I know I do at cons, 0.3 miles extra is nothing.

Personally for me the beauty of SFCC and its access to BART lines is that the city of San Francisco is unique in the Bay Area as being the only city which receives direct (no transfer required) trains from all four East Bay hubs.

And just a reminder, this is still San Francisco. No matter what the weather is like in the day time bring a jacket for the nights or risk having to wear the official "I'm visiting San Francisco and thought all CA weather is like what i see in movies and TV (LA)" sweater with "San Francisco" embossed on it... Its how we locals identify tourists ;)

Yes, layers, layers, layers are never more important than in SF.  Especially exploring our city of micro-climates, the beach can be 15 degrees cooler than downtown.   If you want to swim, do some research, the Nor Cal ocean is not casual swimming.

Offline ninjagoblin

• Freebie Table
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2017, 10:40:38 AM »
Something else for everyone to be aware of in addition to SFCC on Sept 1-3 there will also be three Giants home games as well. This will increase foot traffic and the number of BART riders dramatically.

Also because of the games taxis will be trying to avoid going to the park. So if you plan to take a cab anyplace I would avoid wearing Giants team colors (orange and black). While it is against the "rules" many of the cabbies I have spoken with in the past have told me they actively try to avoid picking up fares from people wearing those colors because this is a one way fare for them as well as a PITA for them to get out of SOMA to go find their next fare.

Offline Lavendar

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2017, 02:30:51 PM »
Indeed... It's merging time!

Forum Housekeeping:

Merged newer San Francisco Comic Con thread with the older, more established one to avoid confusion between two threads of a similar topic.  :]

any chance of breaking out into threads like SDCC?   SF has the best food in the world and seems a worthy thread.

Offline Lavendar

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2017, 02:31:45 PM »
Something else for everyone to be aware of in addition to SFCC on Sept 1-3 there will also be three Giants home games as well. This will increase foot traffic and the number of BART riders dramatically.

Also because of the games taxis will be trying to avoid going to the park. So if you plan to take a cab anyplace I would avoid wearing Giants team colors (orange and black). While it is against the "rules" many of the cabbies I have spoken with in the past have told me they actively try to avoid picking up fares from people wearing those colors because this is a one way fare for them as well as a PITA for them to get out of SOMA to go find their next fare.

sounds like I am safe in my TARDIS dress  :P