Author Topic: San Francisco Comic Con - September 1-3, 2017  (Read 7886 times)

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
Re: San Francisco Comic Con - September 1-3, 2017
« Reply #60 on: September 04, 2017, 11:59:31 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I didn't try the wifi (downloaded app in advance) but a guy I talked to said he had trouble loading websites on his phone. People made good use of the schedule stands.

I'm glad they had that. Last year there were no printed programs anywhere, and they said to use the app... but there was no wifi or cell service in the hotel/convention center.

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #61 on: September 04, 2017, 05:06:44 PM »
Thanks Tweetygal for the very helpful review! Glad to hear you had a good time, panel rooms were accessible, and that the AC was in good working order.

I've also been keeping up with the reviews on Facebook. Most of the FB reviews were written behind rose-colored glasses (same as last year), possibly due to the area being starved out of a comic con for so long, so this jaded con-goer has tried to use his jaded con-goer filter to pick out the info that would be most useful to us. ;) It still does sound like SFCC was vastly improved over last year.

Common pros that I am seeing are a well organized layout, little to no lines, good celebrity guest panels, and very family friendly. Cons are a relatively small exhibit hall, inconsistent app and bad signal, hit or miss/unprofessional non-celebrity panels, and price...although on the last point, $30-50 daily/$80 weekend price is pretty standard for these and this year they probably had enough going on to justify the cost. Though, all of the reviewers who compared it to WonderCon were disappointed.

I made fun of them for being a hotel convention last year, but I will admit that now, unlike pretty much every single other Bay Area convention during the last five years (with the major exception of SVCC), that they have the aspiration to become the major comic con this area needs. It still sounds like they have a ways to go before they are top tier (if they ever reach that) but are more than passable as a mid-sized local con and I wish them the best.

Last year we got both SVCC and SFCC and this year we saw the rise of both of them...it took awhile but now the Bay Area finally has the anchors to our comic con scene that we've been missing out on for so long. It seems like SFCC is going the route of a classic comic con, whereas SVCC is trying to be a science-comic hybrid--to mixed results this year, but at least they are trying to do something interesting and I think it could work if done right. There is definitely the room and the audience for both of them.
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #62 on: Today at 09:52:04 AM »

Offline Lavendar

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 71
« Reply #62 on: September 05, 2017, 09:28:02 AM »
Thanks for the report, Tweetygal! It sounds like there were small improvements from last year, but some of the issues (line management, sight lines in the main theatre) were the same. How was the wifi? Were you actually able to download/access the app in the convention center?

the free wifi made you login (just press a button) every time you accessed the internet after a break.  got annoying, but worked fine when it was on.   

Offline ninjagoblin

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #63 on: September 05, 2017, 11:00:38 AM »
I know I'm a lil late to the review party but wanted to throw in my parental 2 cents.

Considering this was the third con (SVCC and East Bay Con being the first and second) that we took our 5 year old daughter to I think this Con was put together very well. Much better than last year when you could not have paid me to take my child there.  The floor was open enough that we could let her "lead the way" without losing site of her.  The artists, vendors and staff were all very friendly and accommodating of an over confident child.

The only thing that we found disappointing was the Nerd in Training Kids Zone as it seemed to consist of only Legos and crayons for drawing. Great idea just needs to have more to it.

All in all defiantly something good for young and old alike. Glad to see it continue to grow and cant wait to see with what they come up with for next year.
My superpower is the ability to rationalize anything.

Offline karatekid

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 149
« Reply #64 on: September 05, 2017, 11:14:50 AM »
Thanks Tweetygal for the write up. I did not attend but there were moments I thought maybe I should just go drive there now for a bit. If it wasn't so hot and thus traffic going to SF was really bad, I just might have spontaneously done it. Happy to hear though overall it was positive and improving. That's a good sign and I hope next year I will go. I wonder though why not extend it through Labor Day? Maybe next year.

I found it very interesting though and cool that they were advertising on NPR (National Public Radio). They had local spots and I was impressed yet felt it was sort of out of place and wondered how many people did come because they heard it there?
"Wax On, Wax Off"

Offline jazzyj

• Gaming Lounge
  • Cheese and Carb Enthusiast
  • Liked: 302
« Reply #65 on: September 06, 2017, 06:28:22 PM »
Okay so funny story, I went to SF Comic-Con and originally wanted to take a pic with Peter Capaldi but I didn't have the money to make it happen. But today I took a walk with my friend during our lunch break and we were walking from the Financial District to Powell and lo and behold I saw Peter Capaldi waiting to cross the street. I started fangirling and I took a pic with him and ohmygod, it's funny how things work out in the end. I only wished I had enough time to chat up with him for a bit because it's rare to see celebs casually walking in SF.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 08:08:32 PM by jazzyj »

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #66 on: September 06, 2017, 06:57:35 PM »
That's awesome, Jazzyj! So glad it was able to happen for you!

I hope Peter is having a fun time in the city!

Offline ninjagoblin

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #67 on: September 07, 2017, 11:34:15 AM »
Great to hear that life decided you were going to get to meet him one way or another Jazzyj!
My superpower is the ability to rationalize anything.

Offline karatekid

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 149
« Reply #68 on: September 07, 2017, 01:52:28 PM »
Okay so funny story, I went to SF Comic-Con and originally wanted to take a pic with Peter Capaldi but I didn't have the money to make it happen. But today I took a walk with my friend during our lunch break and we were walking from the Financial District to Powell and lo and behold I saw Peter Capaldi waiting to cross the street. I started fangirling and I took a pic with him and ohmygod, it's funny how things work out in the end. I only wished I had enough time to chat up with him for a bit because it's rare to see celebs casually walking in SF.
That's a AWESOME story! Cool how he decided to stick around longer and visit SF!! (I assume he's not from here right?) Also kudos for having a good eye. While he's BIG in our world, I imagine not too many people had a clue who he was.
"Wax On, Wax Off"

Offline jazzyj

• Gaming Lounge
  • Cheese and Carb Enthusiast
  • Liked: 302
« Reply #69 on: September 07, 2017, 03:13:56 PM »
That's a AWESOME story! Cool how he decided to stick around longer and visit SF!! (I assume he's not from here right?) Also kudos for having a good eye. While he's BIG in our world, I imagine not too many people had a clue who he was.

I think he was surprised that I recognized him to be honest (his wife probably was too). He had his sunglasses on and if we weren't waiting to cross the street, I probably would have missed him. But since I had that extra time, I was definitely able to figure out who he was. I actually ran into him again when I was making my way back to my office but I hid my face since I didn't want him to think I was some crazy stalker fan. I should have asked him how he liked SF so far though.