Author Topic: SDCC 2017 ADA/Disabled Services Discussion Thread  (Read 12999 times)

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 1991
SDCC 2017 ADA/Disabled Services Discussion Thread
« on: January 01, 2017, 07:00:14 AM »
Since we don't currently have a thread for this particular subject, I have created this for general ADA/disabled services discussion for Comic-Con 2017.

Please feel free to ask questions and chat about your experiences with CCI's Deaf and Disabled Services, including but not limited to panels, lines, advice, comparisons between CCI and other convention organizers, or comments and suggestions for fellow ADA convention-goers. 

(This discussion can be for both Comic-Con and WonderCon, since they are under the same corporate umbrella.)

While we do have a different thread specifically for ADA badge discussion in the "SDCC Registration and Badges" area (CLICK HERE: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login), this thread will likely cover a broader range of points of interest for ADA services and individuals.

Thank you!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 07:11:13 AM by Zero »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline deadlyhausfrau

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 1
Service Dog Handlers, How Do You Handle the Exhibit Floor?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 12:55:56 PM »
I've had an SD at con the last three years, and usually I wait until very early or very late to visit the exhibit floor so there are less crowds to step on Dogface. I was wondering if anyone had thought of a good way to protect their pup's feet other than total avoidance. I did consider making him a lightweight K-9 costume for armor but I'm kind of leery of costumes on working dogs. Anyone have a better idea?

Friends of Comic Cons

Re: SDCC 2017 ADA/Disabled Services Discussion Thread
« Reply #2 on: Today at 04:57:17 AM »

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 11:39:52 AM »
Last year was my first year needing disabled services.  It had been more than a few years since I had been and it was the first for my sister.  The folk at the disabled services were beyond wonderful.  We were greeted kindly and patiently, and all of our questions were answered.  We even got tips and were so happy to find there was a seating area just for disabled people to rest.  I don't know how it was in past years, but I was grateful and our fears about not being able to navigate and have a good time went away quickly.  We  want to try and volunteer at least one day this year to give back some of the love we have gotten.  We are on the list for new volunteers so we shall see!
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline Randalcormier

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 09:18:33 PM »
What has SDCC done for registering disabled people? Some disabled people can not even get on the internet or they have to pay outside people to log on to the internet for them. Is there a secure method disabled people to get a badge to the SDCC? I have been to the SDCC and you have a great disabled service. Please work on this for the up coming SDCC.
I have talked to someone on the phone in San Diego to get my badge in the past, because I can not get on a computer with my disability. I have had other disabled people tell me about the problems getting online and I have had problems in the past paying someone to help me get online to get my badge.
If this the wrong area, then please direct me to someone that can help disabled person get a badge this year?

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
  • Liked: 443
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 08:02:17 AM »
Really not trying to sound rude, but it seams odd to see a post on the internet from someone who says they can't get on the internet?

Offline karl clement

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 136
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 08:19:47 AM »
you could try joining a badge buying group, there are some voice activated programes as well
SDCC 2013,2014,2015,2016
FanExpo  2011,2012, 2015
Montreal CC  2011, 2013
Ottawa CC 2013
Cornwall CAPE 2015, 2016

Offline tehlilone

• Ballroom 20
  • It's pronounced "the lil one" ^_^
  • Liked: 185
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2017, 02:10:03 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
What has SDCC done for registering disabled people? Some disabled people can not even get on the internet or they have to pay outside people to log on to the internet for them. Is there a secure method disabled people to get a badge to the SDCC? I have been to the SDCC and you have a great disabled service. Please work on this for the up coming SDCC.
I have talked to someone on the phone in San Diego to get my badge in the past, because I can not get on a computer with my disability. I have had other disabled people tell me about the problems getting online and I have had problems in the past paying someone to help me get online to get my badge.
If this the wrong area, then please direct me to someone that can help disabled person get a badge this year?
My best advice is for ADA people that can't register themselves is to be active and make friends. Join a buying group and give a designated person their log-in code. They shouldn't have to pay a buying group here extra to help get tickets.

I honestly doubt CCI would accommodate anyone in the situation you're talking about because it's so unique and there are solutions those individuals could do to remedy it themselves.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Offline Lavendar

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 71
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 07:49:09 AM »
Last year was my first year needing disabled services.  It had been more than a few years since I had been and it was the first for my sister.  The folk at the disabled services were beyond wonderful.  We were greeted kindly and patiently, and all of our questions were answered.  We even got tips and were so happy to find there was a seating area just for disabled people to rest.  I don't know how it was in past years, but I was grateful and our fears about not being able to navigate and have a good time went away quickly.  We  want to try and volunteer at least one day this year to give back some of the love we have gotten.  We are on the list for new volunteers so we shall see!

Just one area or several around? Are they marked on map? I got a bad leg kinda worried.

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2017, 08:08:14 AM »
Just one area or several around? Are they marked on map? I got a bad leg kinda worried.

Just one, sort of (at least that's where I've crashed while on attendant duty without anyone immediately barking at me to move my crew along ;) ):

From 2016 map: between lobby A and lobby B1 by the Deaf & Disabled Services tag

« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 08:10:21 AM by AzT »

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2017, 12:04:54 PM »

There was only one area for seating.  It was on the Marriot Marqui Marina side of the Convention Center. I would guess there were about 20 seats (folding chairs).  Right next to it was the area where wheelchairs were lined up.  Most of them had been reserved beforehand somehow.  I forgot to ask you do that.

Seating around the convention was sparse.  We were told by security to move along several times when we tried to lean up against a wall to rest for a mnute or two.  Up in the Sails Pavilion there were round tables with seating, and people seemed to come and go quickly.  I always found a seat when I needed to rest a bit.

I do wish they had more seating around. It would help a lot.  I was told by security that there were codes that prevented seating in the walkways.

Offline lilredrubi74

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 141
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2017, 09:20:35 AM »
There was only one area for seating.  It was on the Marriot Marqui Marina side of the Convention Center. I would guess there were about 20 seats (folding chairs).  Right next to it was the area where wheelchairs were lined up.  Most of them had been reserved beforehand somehow.  I forgot to ask you do that.

Seating around the convention was sparse.  We were told by security to move along several times when we tried to lean up against a wall to rest for a mnute or two.  Up in the Sails Pavilion there were round tables with seating, and people seemed to come and go quickly.  I always found a seat when I needed to rest a bit.

I do wish they had more seating around. It would help a lot.  I was told by security that there were codes that prevented seating in the walkways.
Its 1st come on the wheelchairs, we were in line at the Disabled services to get an attendant badge for my daughter & overheard someone talking about it. Not sure when they open on Wednesday but try & get there as early as you can so you can snag one.   

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2017, 05:17:47 AM »
Its 1st come on the wheelchairs, we were in line at the Disabled services to get an attendant badge for my daughter & overheard someone talking about it. Not sure when they open on Wednesday but try & get there as early as you can so you can snag one.

Good tip.  I wasn't sure how that worked.  There is not a huge amount of info on the SDCC website.

Offline lilredrubi74

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 141
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2017, 06:54:45 AM »
Good tip.  I wasn't sure how that worked.  There is not a huge amount of info on the SDCC website.
Ya you are kind of in the dark with some of the services that they offer. I had no idea until last year that they have a disabled shuttle, its small and can only get one wheelchair in it at a time but its great to have that option since I can't board the regular shuttles in my wheelchair. Were you able to get on with volunteering with them this year?

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2017, 04:26:13 AM »
Ya you are kind of in the dark with some of the services that they offer. I had no idea until last year that they have a disabled shuttle, its small and can only get one wheelchair in it at a time but its great to have that option since I can't board the regular shuttles in my wheelchair. Were you able to get on with volunteering with them this year?

Yes....I got in via the interest list.  I would like to specifically work with Disabled Services, but I don't think we can choose things like that.  Anyway, I am so excited to be volunteering.  To be behind the scenes a bit, helping the massive machine work...yes!

Offline everlastingwhy

• Exhibit Hall
  • TV nerd + GIFmaker
  • Liked: 29
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2017, 11:58:03 AM »
What is the process of registering for ADA? What do you need to have with you to register, etc when you get in the ADA line at registration?