Author Topic: Syfy Live from SDCC 2017  (Read 34748 times)

Offline Angie

• Ballroom 20
    • The NerdyGirl's Blog
  • Liked: 200
Syfy Live from SDCC 2017
« on: April 07, 2017, 08:11:05 PM »
From the SDCC Blog:

Today, Syfy announced that Syfy Presents Live from Comic-Con will be returning to the convention for a second year. The live telecast will both be taped and air Thursday, July 20 — Saturday, July 22, and promises to bring “the hottest party of the summer to the fans, with direct access to the biggest stars, breaking news, insider party coverage, exclusive content and sneak peeks of the most anticipated films and TV series, each night”.

Last year’s event featured host Will Arnett, as he interviewed guests on the rooftop of the Marritt Marquis, including Zachary Levi, iZombie’s Rose McIver, Tony Hale, Alan Tudyk, The Walking Dead‘s Norman Reedus, the cast of Timeless, and more. There’s no word yet on who will be hosting this year’s event, or which stars will be in attendance — but it’s sure to be a good time.

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
Re: Syfy Live from SDCC 2017
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 08:08:05 AM »
Didn't people who went to this last year report this as a facsimile of actual hell on planet Earth?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 10:34:37 AM by Mel »
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 12:32:52 PM »

Offline Cut That Meat

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 176
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 10:32:35 AM »
Yeah haha... no shade from the sun, you had to stand and a lot of the advertised celebrities ended up being pre-taped segments. I also think they pushed back taping times because they were having trouble filling the audience. I don't regret not going despite reserving passes. Unless they make drastic changes, I will be skipping it again.
SDCC 2008, 2010-11, 2013-19, 2022-23
WC 2014-16, 2023
D23 2015, 2017, 2019, 2022
ECCC 2019

Offline dkd

• Hall H
  • Liked: 632
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 11:27:42 AM »
If wasn't such a hot day, it would have been bad to attend.  The one I attended had the Walking Dead cast there.  Norman was very accomodating to people in the audience as he left.

Offline nedoeht3705

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 109
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 11:53:52 AM »
I must admit I had tickets for Saturday last year but after reading peoples Friday experiences I never went. Being the first year let's hope they learn from the mistakes

Offline Angie

• Ballroom 20
    • The NerdyGirl's Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 05:45:51 PM »
Yeah I heard horror stories from people too. If they don't change some things they may have a hard time getting people to go this year...

Offline omraged9

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 242
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2017, 07:16:11 PM »
Did they not let you leave until the whole thing was over?

Offline batman_maybe

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2017, 07:44:50 PM »
From the SDCC Blog:

...promises to bring “the hottest party of the summer to the fans..."

Well, they're not wrong. Maybe they'll bring some shade this time.

Offline Deathbyjackal

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 193
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2017, 09:22:09 PM »
WAITING...so much...WAITING. We had to wait forever before the show. Had to wait forever once we got up to the roof. Had to wait forever for the show to start, (you get the idea). It was definitely fun, but there were some serious drawbacks...

It was a unique experience for sure. Got to see celebs up close and personal. The rumors are true, it was EXTREMELY hot. No chairs, so we stood the whole time. It's a TV show taping, so it takes a while...so we stood for a LONG time. The note about pre-taped segments is also true. The headline read all of these celebrities each day, only to find out that most of the celebs were actually just part of that day's show as a pre-taped blurb from a previous night's event.

Will Arnett did a fantastic job, but the overall experience had too many negatives to outweigh the positives. We probably won't try to go again this year.

This year, maybe do it at night...maybe with a super version of Will Arnett...

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2017, 10:03:16 AM »
While I didn't go to this last year, I had friends who did, and I heard some reports that they were providing some umbrellas for shade and water bottles at later events. I agree, that was nasty that they advertised celebs as 'being there' and it was just pre-taped. They definitely had trouble filling seats. I kept getting emails from them during the con about tickets being available, even though they had denied my request before the con started. If they're going to do this again, they're going to want a proper audience, so hopefully they will improve things.

Offline Angie

• Ballroom 20
    • The NerdyGirl's Blog
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2017, 10:13:15 AM »
While I didn't go to this last year, I had friends who did, and I heard some reports that they were providing some umbrellas for shade and water bottles at later events. I agree, that was nasty that they advertised celebs as 'being there' and it was just pre-taped. They definitely had trouble filling seats. I kept getting emails from them during the con about tickets being available, even though they had denied my request before the con started. If they're going to do this again, they're going to want a proper audience, so hopefully they will improve things.

I am not defending them but as soon as I heard oncamera audiences was in charge of the audience I knew it would be bad. I have done audience stuff for them before and they are very disorganized. And because productions NEVER run on time, it could be the SYFY people said they needed the audience by a certain time and then were delayed. But they SHOULD have had a plan for people to go sit down, have shade, and get water. Hoping they did learn from last year or they'll have to bring in a paid audience.

Offline Miclpea

• Hall H
  • Liked: 350
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2017, 10:27:48 AM »
It was good first effort but the weather was unusually hot. I think it will be better this year. I watched from my hotel room.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline iogpsych

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2017, 11:53:31 AM »
Did they not let you leave until the whole thing was over?
I left early, I had somewhere else to be and they weren't starting it anywhere near on time. They tried to talk me out of leaving but did not force me to stay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline tsnyder

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 295
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2017, 11:18:53 AM »
I was super excited for this last year as we got tickets for Thursday and am a huge Syfy fan.  This was probably the most disappointing thing of the whole con for me.  The wait was long and hot but honestly after that wait on wed to try and get in for the Star Trek premier to get shut out I was ok with it knowing I was going to get in.   Got up on the roof and the warm up "comedian" was horrible.  Then we spent the next hour pretending we were pumped to be there as a helicopter flew by and recorded, over, and over, and over, and over.  Even with all that I would have been ok if the show was good.  Some guests were pre-recorded, flow was awful, nothing spectacular at all.  Left early to get in the Hall H line.

I believe that was the first day running so hopeful it got better as the weekend progressed.  Anyone have a positive experience later in the weekend?

Offline Miclpea

• Hall H
  • Liked: 350
Syfy Live from SDCC 2017
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2017, 01:33:03 PM »
I think the warm up comedian and their choice of host was flawed. I hope they do better this year. Could everyone suggest the best person other than Chris Harwicke for the job? Chris would be best but he is so busy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk