Author Topic: CCI vs. SLCC II  (Read 28339 times)

Offline Iris

• Supporter
  • Hall H
    • Website links to my discord for alternate contacting
  • Liked: 708
Re: CCI vs. SLCC II
« Reply #150 on: January 17, 2018, 11:47:27 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Wow....thought we were past this since SLCC rebranded themselves as FanX Salt Lake Comic Convention

I believe the USPTO dispute still has to be resolved, and SLCC seems like they may want to appeal or a mistrial? I'm not sure the grounds they're trying for that, as I've not been looking into this too heavily lately. It seems there will be hearing dates on issues that weren't resolved by the general ruling, like the attorney's fees etc.

Honestly, I feel like Brandenburg and Farr really, really need to stop making e-mails/comments, like the ones to Glanzer and the ones that got them in trouble with the court earlier, without running them by counsel? I feel like the majority of the things they've said publicly has not been helpful for their case...
Author of the Hotel Exchange Deposit and Transfer Walkthrough. If you need help with figuring out the logistics of an OP deposit, transfer, etc., please feel free to DM me here or Discord and I'll do my best to help. If you DM me on Discord, please identify yourself and that you're from the forum.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #151 on: January 18, 2018, 08:04:56 AM »
Clearly, SLCC hasn't learned from its past mistakes.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 12:41:02 PM by Transmute Jun »

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #152 on: Today at 06:46:05 AM »

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #152 on: January 18, 2018, 08:43:10 AM »
Clearlyu, SLCC hasn't learned from its past mistakes.
Right; they should let sleeping giants lie.  Brag they didn't have to fork over much money and move on.

I wonder who filed the motion for a new trial first, and if the other organization filed as retaliation against the other.
Honestly, I feel like Brandenburg and Farr really, really need to stop making e-mails/comments, like the ones to Glanzer and the ones that got them in trouble with the court earlier, without running them by counsel? I feel like the majority of the things they've said publicly has not been helpful for their case...

I 100% agree.  They seem like passionate fans and all, but they're really not coming across well in these proceedings (and public comments making them look greedy or bad are public record).  This is all a kind of fascinating glimpse into the potentially big business of fan conventions

Offline riotgirl77

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 66
« Reply #153 on: January 18, 2018, 12:04:01 PM »

I agree...esp. in public forums like FB

Offline quantumslip

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 66
« Reply #154 on: January 22, 2018, 01:30:55 PM »
just curious, what is the standard for a generic trademark? i have talked to a bunch of my friends and a good number of them thought that any comic con was related to SDCC. however, just because you find some people that do think (or do not think) they're related doesn't make it generic or not. is it just a matter of defending it (like xerox or google) or is it possible to lose it despite your best efforts?

honestly i've kind of leaned in favor for SLCC here in the beginning of all of this, however their past actions and public demeanor doesn't exactly help their case.

Offline TeamKiLL3R

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 63
« Reply #155 on: February 12, 2018, 09:28:44 AM »
I live in Salt Lake City and have been attending SDCC for the last 6 years and SLCC since it began (I think 4 years?). I only attend SLCC because it is local and inexpensive to attend but overall it is nothing like SDCC.  Being here in Salt Lake and constantly seeing the SLCC advertisements it feels like SLCC is just taking advantage of the lawsuit.  When locals here talk about SDCC and SLCC their is definitely an us against them mentality. SLCC has done a great job of making locals think that they need to rally behind SLCC and help it beat the bigger SDCC rival. I can totally see SLCC wanting legal action with SDCC to continue. I think they feel its a huge ticket seller.
sorry if someone had already posted this point of view but seeing it first hand it has been bugging me for a while.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #156 on: February 12, 2018, 09:36:17 AM »
I live in Salt Lake City and have been attending SDCC for the last 6 years and SLCC since it began (I think 4 years?). I only attend SLCC because it is local and inexpensive to attend but overall it is nothing like SDCC.  Being here in Salt Lake and constantly seeing the SLCC advertisements it feels like SLCC is just taking advantage of the lawsuit.  When locals here talk about SDCC and SLCC their is definitely an us against them mentality. SLCC has done a great job of making locals think that they need to rally behind SLCC and help it beat the bigger SDCC rival. I can totally see SLCC wanting legal action with SDCC to continue. I think they feel its a huge ticket seller.
sorry if someone had already posted this point of view but seeing it first hand it has been bugging me for a while.

even if someone had posted the idea before- it's worth repeating.

I suppose i'd have a more generous feeling to SLCC if they were in the same league as NYCC or SDCC or if their event was better run or more comic focused - but they're not. if just feels like a marketing ploy in bad taste
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #157 on: February 12, 2018, 09:48:12 AM »

[member=1644]TeamKiLL3R[/member] - thank you for this viewpoint.  I am curious - where does SLCC advertise?  Local tv, newspapers...? I had not thought about this whole thing as being a positive for SLCC. 
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline TeamKiLL3R

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 63
« Reply #158 on: February 12, 2018, 09:58:25 AM »
[member=1644]TeamKiLL3R[/member] - thank you for this viewpoint.  I am curious - where does SLCC advertise?  Local tv, newspapers...? I had not thought about this whole thing as being a positive for SLCC.

They do a lot Facebook posts, direct emails, articles in the local papers, and local TV news reports. The topic comes up constantly on all these outlets. almost as much as their celebrity attendant announcements. It has seemed to slow down a bit since the last court ruling but hasn't completely stopped.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #159 on: February 12, 2018, 10:39:44 AM »
even if someone had posted the idea before- it's worth repeating.

I suppose i'd have a more generous feeling to SLCC if they were in the same league as NYCC or SDCC or if their event was better run or more comic focused - but they're not. if just feels like a marketing ploy in bad taste
Or if they haven't been kind of blatant jerks throughout this process on social media.  When the judge has to constantly warn the organizers to stop posting/speaking BS in court and in public statements, I have nothing by bad feelings for said organization and its organizers.  I knew nothing about the until I saw their car tooling around San Diego, and after reading articles about the court proceedings my only impression is that the organization is not worth my time, let alone generous feelings.  They're hucksters who probably run a nice local convention, and nothing more: trying to tread on another large organization that has spent 40+ years building their brand.  It's like SLCC is trying to skip all of the hard work of slowly building their brand in order to try to make a quick buck immediately.  It's pathetic.

Of course, I don't travel to Utah every (other than a very occasional layover), and certainly wouldn't make additional effort or expenses to attend this convention.  But I suspect the SLCC has generated an "us against them" rallying cry locally and gotten their local patrons fired up (as well as people feeling bitter for not getting through to purchase Comic-Con badges).  It's sad, because there is room for everyone: the world is certainly large enough for comic conventions all over the planet to succeed without treading on others' reps/brands: be your own thing, and be great at what you do.  Ripping off branding is pathetic business

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #160 on: February 13, 2018, 01:03:10 PM »
i can see them advertising for the event maybe sometime ahead of to sale tickets or badges. but with how they went about things against a judge orders, they just begging for traffic and makes them look bad .  SDCC i guess didnt say much about case cause it was pending i guess besides what was allowed to be posted here at anytime. i have only been to SDCC at anytime besides a smaller ones some years back. there have been like no ads of con except for what is sent by email and psoted about in sites i know of at times. but close to con time , news be talking about besides they mention it trying expand the center overtime. its February now but some time closer to it being here news will start talk about it and promoto it cause of off sites they have the public can check out if not got any badge by chance. i do hope they can expand so it can be here forever for anyone to try and go in any way possible.

Offline darlenealderson

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 75
« Reply #161 on: February 13, 2018, 02:28:49 PM »
I went to SLCC back in 2015 and loved it, but the way they are posing this as us vs. them (and buttheiremails) makes me not want to go back. I had an amazing time but everything did seemed designed to take the maximum amount of your money. They say they're a huge con but it felt so small compared to SDCC (same with Denver Comic Con seeming smaller than it is). I did enjoy the cheap hotel and cheap food, but unless they have a guest I reallllllly want to meet (like Chris Evans), I don't think I'll be back. SDCC is a better experience for your time/money.

Offline Iris

• Supporter
  • Hall H
    • Website links to my discord for alternate contacting
  • Liked: 708
« Reply #162 on: February 13, 2018, 03:41:44 PM »
just curious, what is the standard for a generic trademark? i have talked to a bunch of my friends and a good number of them thought that any comic con was related to SDCC. however, just because you find some people that do think (or do not think) they're related doesn't make it generic or not. is it just a matter of defending it (like xerox or google) or is it possible to lose it despite your best efforts?

honestly i've kind of leaned in favor for SLCC here in the beginning of all of this, however their past actions and public demeanor doesn't exactly help their case.

Meep, I meant to comment on this ages earlier.

I don't look into trademark stuff often, so take this with a grain of salt. From what I understand, there are quite a few trademarks of general terms/etc. that are allowed to stand and be enforced to this day. However, over time many of the terms/names have also gone into the common/daily lexicon for people and some trademarks were eventually cancelled. It's hard to say whether one is still trademarked or others not, without some more in-depth investigation. I assume it's, as you mentioned, mostly a matter of defending your trademark.

______

That's a shame they seem to be trying to make it an "us vs. them" atmosphere for Salt Lake City. It definitely sounds like they're happy with this drawn out litigation, which is still a really bad idea. I mean look at it alone, there's millions in attorney's fees, that after a judgment in favor of either party will be a bit painful. Then "asking" for the people who supported them to donate to help pay towards legal fees, which was immediately detracted into a "We can pay our legal fees just fine" despite bringing it up?

There's a reason the courts try a lot to avoid actually going to trial, because it's ridiculous and ridiculously expensive. Chances are, I'd think SLCC still won't get a judgment in their favor, just by looking at the complaint and answer etc., then they'll be out theirs and SDCC's legal fees and the lasting damage to their image...
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 03:44:43 PM by Iris_aya »
Author of the Hotel Exchange Deposit and Transfer Walkthrough. If you need help with figuring out the logistics of an OP deposit, transfer, etc., please feel free to DM me here or Discord and I'll do my best to help. If you DM me on Discord, please identify yourself and that you're from the forum.

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #163 on: March 06, 2018, 06:37:22 PM »
Or if they haven't been kind of blatant jerks throughout this process on social media.  When the judge has to constantly warn the organizers to stop posting/speaking BS in court and in public statements, I have nothing by bad feelings for said organization and its organizers. 

Honestly, the judge seemed to have his own agenda. His gag order on them was struck down as unconstitutional by a higher court, and threatening them with jail time was just plain bizarre.
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #164 on: March 07, 2018, 09:36:29 AM »
Meep, I meant to comment on this ages earlier.

I don't look into trademark stuff often, so take this with a grain of salt. From what I understand, there are quite a few trademarks of general terms/etc. that are allowed to stand and be enforced to this day. However, over time many of the terms/names have also gone into the common/daily lexicon for people and some trademarks were eventually cancelled. It's hard to say whether one is still trademarked or others not, without some more in-depth investigation. I assume it's, as you mentioned, mostly a matter of defending your trademark.

______

That's a shame they seem to be trying to make it an "us vs. them" atmosphere for Salt Lake City. It definitely sounds like they're happy with this drawn out litigation, which is still a really bad idea. I mean look at it alone, there's millions in attorney's fees, that after a judgment in favor of either party will be a bit painful. Then "asking" for the people who supported them to donate to help pay towards legal fees, which was immediately detracted into a "We can pay our legal fees just fine" despite bringing it up?

There's a reason the courts try a lot to avoid actually going to trial, because it's ridiculous and ridiculously expensive. Chances are, I'd think SLCC still won't get a judgment in their favor, just by looking at the complaint and answer etc., then they'll be out theirs and SDCC's legal fees and the lasting damage to their image...
I'm never a fan of people/organizations treading on others' success to drive their business.  IMO if your convention isn't good enough to thrive on its own merits, maybe it's time to look at legit changes or something.  SLCCC's organizers are embarrassing themselves as far as I'm concerned