Author Topic: 2 film guys made deal with WB to make all-girl version of "Lord of the Flies."  (Read 4261 times)

Offline Angology

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think I may be the only person here who never had to read this book.  Went to public school in the 90's and early 2000's, too.  *shrug*

Seems like I dodged a bullet.
I didn't have to read it either. We read Animal Farm and SE Hinton books around that time (I was in Oklahoma at the time). I really don't have any interest in reading it either. Or seeing a movie.
Ang

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
I didn't have to read it either. We read Animal Farm and SE Hinton books around that time (I was in Oklahoma at the time). I really don't have any interest in reading it either. Or seeing a movie.

Consider it a blessing. 

The whole premise is that when trapped on an island, a bunch of kids devolve into anarchy without societies' rules with the biggest cop out at the end in my opinion.  It ain't a big surprise when it happens.  And it ain't the feel good read of the century.

Plus, there ain't no pictures, so its got that going for it...   :)

Friends of Comic Cons

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
Plus, there ain't no pictures, so its got that going for it...   :)

Actuually...

Offline Andrew Costa Mesa

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 829
Actuually...

LOL!  And of course, what's a good literary book without a comic book or graphic novel version???   :P

The picture of the guy who didn't survive bailing out of his plane was creepy.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 10:36:01 PM by Andrew Costa Mesa »
WizardWorld Comic Con Anaheim 2011
WonderCon 2013-2018 & 2023-2024
NYCC 2014-2017 & 2022-2023
SDCC 2011 (Saturday only), 2012, 2013 (Thursday, Saturday & Sunday only), 2014-2019, 2022 & 2023 (Fri-Sun only), 2024
D23 Expo 2017
OZ Comic Con Sydney (Australia) 2016
WizardWorld Los Angeles 2019

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
My summer school in Honolulu was at Punahou School, the private high school that Obama graduated from in 1979.  I just missed him by a month.

I live about two blocks from Punahou. Small world! I pass it every day on the way home.

Offline Andrew Costa Mesa

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 829
I live about two blocks from Punahou. Small world! I pass it every day on the way home.

I went to Kaiser High during the second half of my freshman year in 1979 and graduated from Kalani High in 1982.  From 1981-82, my dad taught at U of HI Manoa.

And I went to Koko Head Elementary in 1973.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 02:03:09 PM by Andrew Costa Mesa »
WizardWorld Comic Con Anaheim 2011
WonderCon 2013-2018 & 2023-2024
NYCC 2014-2017 & 2022-2023
SDCC 2011 (Saturday only), 2012, 2013 (Thursday, Saturday & Sunday only), 2014-2019, 2022 & 2023 (Fri-Sun only), 2024
D23 Expo 2017
OZ Comic Con Sydney (Australia) 2016
WizardWorld Los Angeles 2019

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
Saw this this morning and had to laugh:

"After a pandemic strikes, a dorm complex at a small American college is quarantined with all of the students trapped within. What first starts out as youthful freedom from authority soon devolves into a violent new society-it’s Lord of the Flies on a college campus."

Last night was "Back to School night" for our kids, my son's English teacher had all the books out for the different classes and sure enough there was LOTF in the 10th grade pile. (The 12th grade pile had Heart of Darkness, I was actually pretty happy with the books my son will be reading this year.)

Offline Matryoshka

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 29
My 8th grade English teacher put us through the ringer by having us read all the heavy duty dystopias one after another: Brave New World, 1984, Lord of the Flies, Animal Farm. It was kind of a depressing semester but I was by far the most upset by LOTF. I still have a vivid memory of reading Piggy’s death and wanting to throw the book down. I don’t think I’d be seeing this girls or boys.

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
My 8th grade English teacher put us through the ringer by having us read all the heavy duty dystopias one after another: Brave New World, 1984, Lord of the Flies, Animal Farm. It was kind of a depressing semester but I was by far the most upset by LOTF. I still have a vivid memory of reading Piggy’s death and wanting to throw the book down. I don’t think I’d be seeing this girls or boys.

How To Turn 13 year Olds Into Pessimists 101

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
Ooooooooooooo!  People are posting to this thread again!  I get to complain about the book more!  :)

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
Ooooooooooooo!  People are posting to this thread again!  I get to complain about the book more!  :)

When has lack of a thread/thread activity ever stopped you from complaining, Chris? ;)

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
I totally punted on the themed fantasy football recap this week but I think a Lord of the Flies theme would be perfect.