Author Topic: Dragon Con 2018: Aug 31-Sep 3  (Read 5090 times)

Offline Angology

• Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
Dragon Con 2018: Aug 31-Sep 3
« on: September 05, 2017, 08:21:37 PM »
Yes, I have already bought my membership for Dragon Con 2018. It helps that I have a legacy booking at the Hyatt, so my hotel is set (I am so lucky to have that!)

Memberships are at their cheapest, if you know for sure that you want to go.

Westin opened up this morning (I was traveling, so couldn't give a heads up-sorry about that)-probably already booked.
Marriott will open up in October time frame
Sheraton sent out legacy emails around the beginning of Con, but I believe rooms open up fairly quickly.
Hilton does legacy also, but usually opens up around the beginning of October for new reservations.
Hyatt hasn't reopened until February or March the last couple of years for new reservations (sometimes it is announced, and sometimes they do it quietly, if there are not too many openings.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 10:08:14 AM by Angology »
Ang

Offline sylent_asassin

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 200
Re: Dragon Con 2018: Aug 31-Sep 3
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 01:09:17 PM »
Geez, already?!? Wow! I need to join one of those Facebook groups to keep up with this information. It would be nice to not have to walk a mile back and forth to and from the convention.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 03:25:10 AM »

Offline Angology

• Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 05:20:20 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Geez, already?!? Wow! I need to join one of those Facebook groups to keep up with this information. It would be nice to not have to walk a mile back and forth to and from the convention.
It's one way that I battle post con depression-get the next year squared away! It wasn't so bad after SDCC since I had Dragon Con coming up, but now my next con is Gallifrey One in February. :(

Here are the Dragon Con pages/groups related to hotels:

Dragon*Con Hotel Connection

Dragon Con Rooms
Ang

Offline Angology

• Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 10:07:07 AM »
Just an FYI-the badge price of $85 is good until Sep 22, 2017.
Ang

Offline sylent_asassin

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 08:23:15 AM »
Are there any host hotels left for next year? The DC webpage that I keep periodically checking says the Hilton and the Sheraton are "TBA," but curiosity got the best of me so I called the Hilton and they said they're sold out. The rep I spoke with said that they haven't updated the site yet. I assume that it's the same for the Sheraton and they haven't updated the site as well.

I stayed at the Omni for the last two years, which was okay, but the shuttle is too slow and inconsistent. There's only one shuttle along the route, so if you miss it, you'll be waiting for at least 40 minutes. The walk isn't that far in civilian clothing, but in a costume, it's brutal.

Offline Angology

• Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2017, 09:16:06 AM »
Are there any host hotels left for next year? The DC webpage that I keep periodically checking says the Hilton and the Sheraton are "TBA," but curiosity got the best of me so I called the Hilton and they said they're sold out. The rep I spoke with said that they haven't updated the site yet. I assume that it's the same for the Sheraton and they haven't updated the site as well.

I stayed at the Omni for the last two years, which was okay, but the shuttle is too slow and inconsistent. There's only one shuttle along the route, so if you miss it, you'll be waiting for at least 40 minutes. The walk isn't that far in civilian clothing, but in a costume, it's brutal.
As far as I know, they are all sold out. I took a look at the Overflow hotels, the Double Tree Atlanta appears to have rooms left, and seems a little closer than the Omni (it is near the Westin, anyway).

Overflow hotels:

Host hotels will sporadically become available (sometimes, not at con rate) during the year, but you have to be on your toes.
Ang

Offline IfIWereMagneto

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 197
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 11:35:00 AM »
I still haven't bought my membership but I will once I have all the SDCC stuff squared away. I'm also set in a friend's room but me and two of my other friends are waiting to see if another friend is gonna come then we're gonna check and see if any of the host or close overflow hotels open up. The Westin just opened up a block but we aren't too fond of that one so we're waiting to see if Hyatt, Hilton, or Aloft pop up.
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline sylent_asassin

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2018, 12:57:05 PM »
I still haven't bought my membership but I will once I have all the SDCC stuff squared away. I'm also set in a friend's room but me and two of my other friends are waiting to see if another friend is gonna come then we're gonna check and see if any of the host or close overflow hotels open up. The Westin just opened up a block but we aren't too fond of that one so we're waiting to see if Hyatt, Hilton, or Aloft pop up.

Good lookin' out on the Westin! I checked, but they only have single King rooms available.

Offline Angie

• Ballroom 20
    • The NerdyGirl's Blog
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2018, 04:35:28 PM »
I would also suggest joining the dragon con rooms facebook page. As it gets closer people will be letting go of rooms left and right.

I thought I was for sure going this year but now I don't know. Its so close to SDCC that financially I don't know if I can do it. The good thing is that I can buy a badge later on (even if its more money) and I already have a room. Although it was difficult to get said room so it hurts the think about letting it go!

Offline IfIWereMagneto

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2018, 07:02:23 PM »
I would also suggest joining the dragon con rooms facebook page. As it gets closer people will be letting go of rooms left and right.

I thought I was for sure going this year but now I don't know. Its so close to SDCC that financially I don't know if I can do it. The good thing is that I can buy a badge later on (even if its more money) and I already have a room. Although it was difficult to get said room so it hurts the think about letting it go!

Which hotel [member=1240]Angie[/member]? If you're looking for roommates, I have friends I can vouch for that are looking and if you do eventually feel like you can't go, do you mind messaging me? I'm helping them look for a room period. I'd love to be able to link up with you either way if you do come!

And we're all a part of the Rooms group but it seems nobody is messaging off the list properly anymore :(
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 07:57:20 PM by IfIWereMagneto »
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Angie

• Ballroom 20
    • The NerdyGirl's Blog
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2018, 01:03:19 AM »
Which hotel [member=1240]Angie[/member]? If you're looking for roommates, I have friends I can vouch for that are looking and if you do eventually feel like you can't go, do you mind messaging me? I'm helping them look for a room period. I'd love to be able to link up with you either way if you do come!

And we're all a part of the Rooms group but it seems nobody is messaging off the list properly anymore :(

I have some potential roommates already but even with that it still might be too much money.

Yeah it seems the facebook group is more of a free for all when someone posts something.

Offline IfIWereMagneto

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2018, 08:36:54 AM »
I have some potential roommates already but even with that it still might be too much money.

Yeah it seems the facebook group is more of a free for all when someone posts something.

Ain't that the truth. Nobody's properly striking anything out or making updates.
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Angie

• Ballroom 20
    • The NerdyGirl's Blog
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2018, 03:40:26 PM »
Ain't that the truth. Nobody's properly striking anything out or making updates.

Exactly. DC rooms are way more stressful than SDCC.

Offline jazzyj

• Gaming Lounge
  • Cheese and Carb Enthusiast
  • Liked: 302
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2018, 07:27:33 PM »
My friends and I are considering attending DragonCon for 2019 and I've heard trying to get a room at one of the host hotels is crazy competitive. When do hotels for DragonCon normally go out and is it like a lottery like SDCC?

Offline Angie

• Ballroom 20
    • The NerdyGirl's Blog
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2018, 07:42:09 PM »
My friends and I are considering attending DragonCon for 2019 and I've heard trying to get a room at one of the host hotels is crazy competitive. When do hotels for DragonCon normally go out and is it like a lottery like SDCC?

No lottery - its a free for all. Each hotel releases their rooms at different times whenever they want.

Usually each host hotel will have a date set but then its fastest finger to book. The marriott is the most popular and is gone within seconds. Some like the hyatt and hilton and smaller and have legacy bookings (people who have stayed before) which makes any new booking next to impossible. The westin is easier to get a room but its farther away. There are alot of other hotels around but you have to keep calling and checking to see when they begin booking. Usually hotels start booking about a month after the con - so end of sept into oct.

My best recommendation is if its just you and a friend to find someone who already has a room and be their roommates. There is a facebook group called dragoncon rooms where people are constantly looking for people to fill rooms.