Author Topic: Wonder Woman ***Spoilers***  (Read 6971 times)

Offline dcuodust

• Hall H
  • To me, my board!
  • Liked: 405
Re: Wonder Woman ***Spoilers***
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2017, 02:25:37 PM »
Finally saw this on the weekend. Went with my cousin and nieces and nephew. My nephew, who is 7, didn't want to go. My cousin told him: "Your sisters go to every movie you want to watch. Now you don't want to go because it's a girl. Go wash your face!" LOL.

This was a turd of a movie. The whole first act was establishing that Zeus, a white man, is God, and along with other white Gods, is responsible for creating humans, who are also white, and is Diana's father. Really progressive stuff. (Diana originally had no father - Athena tells Hippolyta to carve Diana and Aphrodite gives her life. Later DC was trying to figure out why men didn't like Wonder Woman, and while initially is was thought that they didn't like the idea of a powerful woman, what was realized is that men didn't like the fact that no man was involved in Diana's creation/birth. It made them feel uncomfortable. So it was retconned.)

Diana sleeps with the first man she meets. And the hero of the film is Steve Trevor. Again, very progressive and feminist. At most you can argue that Trevor's death providing motivation for Diana to summon the power and will to defeat Ares is an inversion of Woman if Refrigerator Syndrome - the trope by which horrible things happen to women for the sake of male heroes motivation, plot, story arcs, etc. - but there are two problems with this argument: 1) Trevor's death is his choice; 2) Trevor's death is heroic. And in movies with male superheroes, we never have a woman fighting side-by-side who is ultimately the films hero. (The film may have a female director and lead but the story was conceived by 3 men and the the screenplay written by a man. Also 3 of the 4 producers were men.)

Gal Gadot is an absolute train wreck of an actress. During Antiope's death scene you never see a reverse close-up shot of Diana. You get close-ups of Antiope, but the editor was very deliberate in cutting away from Gadot. She really is Jessica Alba bad. Except during action sequences, where she is a beast. And those are the highlights. When we argue about who is the strongest character or what superteam you would build Wonder Woman is always the DC tank/melee fighter. And she kicks ass during the fight on the front line and in the village. I didn't care for the final showdown.

With respect to WWI, I guess they have the one scene where the general/admiral said that soldier's are supposed to die that highlights what bastards the political leadership was during the war. There was nothing noble about WWI and it was fought over economics by the working class and the poor for the benefit of the wealthy. There was a theme throughout the film about having to stand-up and fight and etc etc. The whole Morgan is Ares is advocating peace was demented and revisionist nonsense. Historians agree that WWI was unnecessary, particularly for Canada, the United States, and the colonies. But it was nice to see Indian soldiers in the scenes in London. (More Indian's died fighting in WWI than Canadians or Australians. Also, with respect to Dunkirk, it is a complete white washing of history as there is no brown or black presence. Every time the British went to war, the colonies supplied soldiers and resources for the freedom of Europe while being denied freedom themselves.) With respect to the evil Germans and chemical weapons, the allies also used chemical weapons. In fact during the latter stages of the war, after the US entered, I think the allies actually used more chemical weapons.

Considering that Zach Snyder produced and co-authored the story it is no surprise how s**t it is.
What are you, Worf? Do you tremble and quake with fear at the approach of combat? Hoping to talk your way out of a fight like a Human? Or do you hear the cry of the warrior, calling you to battle, calling you to glory like a Klingon?
- Gowron, Chancellor of the Klingon High Council

Online TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2017, 07:14:26 PM »
So really, [member=3906]dcuodust[/member] , tell us what you really think!  ;)

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #47 on: Today at 06:02:55 PM »

Offline kohyuta

• Ballroom 20
  • Be water, my friend.
    • World Gone Geek
  • Liked: 226
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2017, 07:15:45 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
So really, [member=3906]dcuodust[/member] , tell us what you really think!  ;)
I don't think [member=3906]dcuodust[/member] liked the movie.  Just a guess ;)
-----
Be Water, My Friend

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2017, 09:04:40 PM »
I'll have to look for the editing next time.

My favorite continuity/edit mishap is it felt awkward that her sword was stuck in the roof before the final showdown.  They square off and she has to go back up to get the sword and he waits for her to get it.  :)

It's like when they wait for the werewolf, etc to go thru their transformation before they start shooting in other movies.  :)

Offline MickeyJack

• Supporter
  • Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 591
« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2017, 10:50:03 AM »
Well, [member=3906]dcuodust[/member], you've given me some good points to think about. I walked out of the film with my wife and two daughters very entertained. However, you bring up some interesting issues. I guess I was so used to Snyder and most, but not all (thank you Christopher Nolan) of the DCCU being such absolute crap on a platter, that I may have mistaken a hamburger for filet mignon. I will have to go see it again. Fingers crossed for JL. I'm a huge Flash guy, but I was a little put off by the panel. The difference in Hall H Saturday between the beginning of the day with DC and the end of the day with Marvel was still quite striking. DC is still punching way out of its weight class.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2017, 11:55:56 AM »
I really enjoyed this movie. So did my husband and daughter. My son is still very upset that he wasn't able to see it.

I hate that we have to slap labels on everything or look for 'quotas'. I just like to watch and enjoy. I don't care about the characters' gender, color, sexual orientation, etc. If the story is good and I like the characters, I enjoy the movie. If the Wonder Woman movie had been made about a male hero of color who was handicapped and gay, I would still have enjoyed it (presuming that the other story elements, plot, jokes, etc. were still in it). The biggest weakness of the film (in my opinion) would still be the forced 'boss battle' at the end and the fact that the actor cast as the 'big bad' didn't really fit the role.

Of course, everyone has the right to their own opinion, but I find that things is a lot more fun if we just take films/tv as entertainment (which is how they are intended).

Offline MickeyJack

• Supporter
  • Ballroom 20
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2017, 12:09:57 PM »
I posted this on my Fb SDCC page "Dan and Uncle Mike" earlier, but I thought it might be appropriate to repost while we're on this topic.

It strikes me that we may be very well experiencing right now what will be known as the golden age of epic fantasy film making. With Marvel about to hit the apex of its 10-year arc culminating in Infinity War; with DC just maybe finally getting a clue with Wonder Woman and (hopefully) Justice League; and Star Wars in full stride once again, I may just die of a cinegasm. And don't forget Cameron is sitting in the wings with five more Avatar films ready to roll. I mean really, how much awesome can someone ingest before their brain goes full-on Scanners. Comic-con has never been bigger. There are so many of us now that we don't need to apologize for loving this stuff. We can just tell the "cool kids" to go suck a xenomorph. We may look back decades from now and say that this was an amazing and historic time to be a fan. I, for one, am going to enjoy every single minute of it with or without my exploded brain.

Offline jimy

• Gaming Lounge
  • Attending SDCC since 1994
  • Liked: 91
« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2017, 08:05:10 AM »
I posted this on my Fb SDCC page "Dan and Uncle Mike" earlier, but I thought it might be appropriate to repost while we're on this topic.

It strikes me that we may be very well experiencing right now what will be known as the golden age of epic fantasy film making. With Marvel about to hit the apex of its 10-year arc culminating in Infinity War; with DC just maybe finally getting a clue with Wonder Woman and (hopefully) Justice League; and Star Wars in full stride once again, I may just die of a cinegasm. And don't forget Cameron is sitting in the wings with five more Avatar films ready to roll. I mean really, how much awesome can someone ingest before their brain goes full-on Scanners. Comic-con has never been bigger. There are so many of us now that we don't need to apologize for loving this stuff. We can just tell the "cool kids" to go suck a xenomorph. We may look back decades from now and say that this was an amazing and historic time to be a fan. I, for one, am going to enjoy every single minute of it with or without my exploded brain.

And that's just at the movies, don't forget what's going on on TV/Streaming (is TV also in some kind of "Golden Age" too), there are so many shows (GoT, TWD,... to name a couple of the biggies), you almost can't get away from the stuff and that's just awesome, they may not all be great but it's always better to have options.

Offline MickeyJack

• Supporter
  • Ballroom 20
« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2017, 10:54:56 AM »
And that's just at the movies, don't forget what's going on on TV/Streaming (is TV also in some kind of "Golden Age" too), there are so many shows (GoT, TWD,... to name a couple of the biggies), you almost can't get away from the stuff and that's just awesome, they may not all be great but it's always better to have options.
Truth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TheOtherMel

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 125
« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2017, 12:31:44 PM »
I don't begrudge anyone on their opinions but I'm with TJ in I like to watch movies and or TV shows for the enjoyment and entertainment it brings me.  I can't even explain to you how happy I was watching apes riding horses..............
Twitter feed: @mel641

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2017, 10:19:40 PM »
From You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Warner Bros.'s Wonder Woman will be released on home video August 29 digitally and September 19 in physical media. The physical releases will come in four varieties - DVD, Ultra HD Blu-ray, Blu-ray 3D Combo Pack, Blu-ray Combo Pack -  with the latter three also having additional bonus scenes and features.

Those extra features are:

Epilogue: Etta’s Mission — Etta Candy gets the boys back together for a secret mission that could impact humanity’s future.
Crafting the Wonder — Wonder Woman finally comes to life in her first, breathtaking solo film. Explore the journey to create an adventure worthy of DC’s greatest warrior.
A Director’s Vision: Themyscira: The Hidden Island
A Director’s Vision: Beach Battle
A Director’s Vision: A Photograph Through Time
A Director’s Vision: Diana in the Modern World
A Director’s Vision: Wonder Woman at War
Warriors of Wonder Woman — Witness the creation of the Amazon army as the women of “Wonder Woman” transform emotionally and physically into the world’s most powerful and heroic warriors.
The Trinity — Filmmakers and comic book creators explore the legend of Wonder Woman and how she stands shoulder to shoulder with Superman and Batman to create the pillars of the DC Universe.
The Wonder Behind the Camera — Meet the women behind the wonder as they welcome a group of aspiring filmmakers on set for an exclusive, once-in-a-lifetime experience.
Finding the Wonder Woman Within — Feel the power of Wonder Woman as award-winning poets and inspiring public figures reveal the impact and importance of DC’s greatest heroine.
Extended Scenes
Blooper Reel