Author Topic: Best Offsite You Went To/Offsite Review!  (Read 15500 times)

Offline batman_maybe

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 2
Re: Best Offsite You Went To/Offsite Review!
« Reply #75 on: July 26, 2017, 12:50:40 PM »
Went to the John Williams symphony on Saturday night. 1st half was Harry Potter, Peter Pan, Jaws, Close Encounters, Jurassic Park, and Indiana Jones. After the intermission was just a massive Star Wars medley. It was fantastic.

The only let-down was that they advertised a Star Wars themed cocktail hour before the symphony started. It was supposed to feature a cantina band, costume contest, and Star Wars themed cocktails. There was no cantina band, there were only 2 cocktails that got a Star Wars-y name slapped on them, and no idea where the costume contest was. We had several staff ask us to sign up for it (we were dressed as Gene and Louise Belcher), but we declined.

Also went to Kevin Smith's Hollywood Babble-on podcast on Friday night. Very fun if you like him and Ralph Garman, but it ran really late and the drinks were crazy expensive.

Offline vocalise

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 23
« Reply #76 on: July 26, 2017, 01:48:34 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Went to the John Williams symphony on Saturday night. 1st half was Harry Potter, Peter Pan, Jaws, Close Encounters, Jurassic Park, and Indiana Jones. After the intermission was just a massive Star Wars medley. It was fantastic.

The only let-down was that they advertised a Star Wars themed cocktail hour before the symphony started. It was supposed to feature a cantina band, costume contest, and Star Wars themed cocktails. There was no cantina band, there were only 2 cocktails that got a Star Wars-y name slapped on them, and no idea where the costume contest was. We had several staff ask us to sign up for it (we were dressed as Gene and Louise Belcher), but we declined.

Also went to Kevin Smith's Hollywood Babble-on podcast on Friday night. Very fun if you like him and Ralph Garman, but it ran really late and the drinks were crazy expensive.

The costume contest happened just before the concert began in the center, in the orchestral seating area by the stage. I was inside when they were in the process of the costume contest. The cantina band most likely was on the stage as well, but I missed that.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #77 on: Today at 05:44:03 AM »

Offline comicconfamily

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Instagram: @ComicConFamily
    • Comic Con Family
  • Liked: 160
« Reply #77 on: July 26, 2017, 06:14:31 PM »
We visited just 2 off-sites: Laika Experience and Mr. Robot. We did Laika on Sunday, which was a mistake -- we waited 3 hours. We had been in town for over a week at this point, so we could have easily have gone before Comic-Con started (not to mention, I could have gone to their press/media invite). We didn't plan this well, but it was a must on my list. As someone who loves Laika's films, I really, really enjoyed the experience. Was it worth 3 hours? Eh, not sure, but yeah, I would probably do it again. My husband on the other hand...he thought it was cool but he would tell you that it wasn't worth a 3 hr wait.

We also did Mr. Robot on Sunday and the wait wasn't nearly as long - I think it was about an hour? That was cool, although we should have signed up before going in. We only got the BBQ stuff next door, but it hit the spot for lunch.

We are definitely going to improve our off-site strategy next year (depending on what there is that we're interested in). We missed out on quite a few that we really wanted to visit: Netflix, Walking Dead, Game of Thrones. We also didn't visit Petco Park this year, even though it's something we've done for the last few years.
SDCC 2011 - 2022
WonderCon 2017 - 2022

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #78 on: July 26, 2017, 06:35:52 PM »
We also didn't visit Petco Park this year, even though it's something we've done for the last few years.

The only thing at Petco Park this year was MTV fanfest on Friday.

Offline comicconfamily

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
    • Comic Con Family
« Reply #79 on: July 26, 2017, 06:39:32 PM »

Sorry, meant the Petco Interactive Zone. We didn't get there....although not really sure if we missed out on anything good or not. I think Mr. Mercedes was there and I know that's something my husband wanted to visit. He got one of the free ice cream cards and he seems quite disappointed to have missed out on that.  ;)
SDCC 2011 - 2022
WonderCon 2017 - 2022

Offline Car_Low

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 610
« Reply #80 on: July 26, 2017, 06:42:23 PM »

There was also impractical jokers and Rick and Morty on saturday.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #81 on: July 26, 2017, 07:11:12 PM »
He got one of the free ice cream cards and he seems quite disappointed to have missed out on that.  ;)

Unless I saw the wrong thing, the free ice cream they were promoting with those cards was about the size of a sample taste scoop from Baskin Robins. Somebody next door was giving out full size fruit bars, but only every hour on the hour and only 75 at a time. Was that Mr. Mercedes, I think they had a t-shirt screening machine. They were also handing out sunglasses.

I didn't want to stand in line so got the little 2 oz cup of green ice cream from a food truck. I don't even remember who they were.

Xfinity was handing out fortune cookies in front of their thing. A dude was just offering up a bucket full of them. I took one. He told me I could take more than one. I took another. He told me I could take more. I left it at 2. I think they were trying to clear out the leftovers from the "TV Diner".

Offline jazzyj

• Gaming Lounge
  • Cheese and Carb Enthusiast
  • Liked: 302
« Reply #82 on: July 26, 2017, 08:15:11 PM »
Really enjoyed the Laika exhibit! Went on Wednesday and probably waited a bit over an hour. If you signed up for the mailing list you actually got an email saying that you now have priority access to skip the line. It was great since my sister wanted to go again and all I had to do was show my email.

Offline thecherbear

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 12
« Reply #83 on: July 26, 2017, 11:19:54 PM »
Unless I saw the wrong thing, the free ice cream they were promoting with those cards was about the size of a sample taste scoop from Baskin Robins. Somebody next door was giving out full size fruit bars, but only every hour on the hour and only 75 at a time. Was that Mr. Mercedes, I think they had a t-shirt screening machine. They were also handing out sunglasses.

I didn't want to stand in line so got the little 2 oz cup of green ice cream from a food truck. I don't even remember who they were.

Xfinity was handing out fortune cookies in front of their thing. A dude was just offering up a bucket full of them. I took one. He told me I could take more than one. I took another. He told me I could take more. I left it at 2. I think they were trying to clear out the leftovers from the "TV Diner".
There was a lot of ice cream on offer this year! The green stuff was Voltron, my daughter and her friend were super excited to eat the "goo". World of Warcraft had a ice cream parlor thing going and then of course the Mr. Mercedes ice cream. I appreciated it, I hope they do lots of cold stuff again next year!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Offline thecherbear

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 12
« Reply #84 on: July 26, 2017, 11:36:45 PM »
 We didn't do many offsites this year, but our priorities were Blade Runner and the Gifted mutant testing.

We waited 3 hours Saturday morning for Blade Runner VR. That was so worth it for me, I loved the transition from the VR to real life. When we put the headset on, there was a curtain or screen in front of us, when we took it off, it was gone and there was a crash scene with people walking around! It was pretty effective in immersing me in the experience. My daughter was screened as a replicant and "arrested". They made her do squats then let her go. The actors were awesome, my daughters friend was bring obnoxious and they never broke character. This was absolutely my favorite offsite for at least the past few years. The noodles and alcohol didn't hurt! ;)

For the Gifted testing, we waited again for about 2.5 hours. I would have left but my daughter and her friend were really into it. I was wondering why it took so long, turns out they were doing actual DNA genetic history testing. We did cheek swabs and were told we would get our profiles in 3-4 weeks through myheritage.com. So i guess that's pretty cool.

We also did the Netflix offsite, we got cards from the booth in the exhibit hall to let us in faster. We somehow missed half of it though, all we saw was the Stranger Things stuff. We loved the wall with the hands pushing out though, got some good video!

There were so many more I wanted to do, but it seemed like a lot of them were 21+ and we had a 19 year old. Oh well, we had a great time and I'm getting a vicarious thrill reading about the ones I didn't get to do!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Offline comicconfamily

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
    • Comic Con Family
« Reply #85 on: July 27, 2017, 07:23:34 AM »
Really enjoyed the Laika exhibit! Went on Wednesday and probably waited a bit over an hour. If you signed up for the mailing list you actually got an email saying that you now have priority access to skip the line. It was great since my sister wanted to go again and all I had to do was show my email.

Ah!! This makes sense. I know there was the long line & a shorter line, and then some people were just able to walk in. I had figured out that some (probably the people just walking in?) was only interested in the "store" and not the tours. But we didn't know what the shorter line was. I had no clue about the mailing list.
SDCC 2011 - 2022
WonderCon 2017 - 2022

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #86 on: July 27, 2017, 08:39:44 AM »

I hope other offsites follow their lead and open up before comic-con. That way people could go to both the offsites and comic-con. With the lines both at the offsites and comic-con these days, it's pretty much either or.

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2003
« Reply #87 on: July 27, 2017, 08:42:24 AM »

There was also impractical jokers and Rick and Morty on saturday.
Impractical Jokers was one of our Priorities.  We didn't get there at open, which was when they gave out tickets for the signing.  After Volunteering and Udon, we headed over after 3pm, just as the free White Castle burgers ran out. 

They had good activities, like the summo match dress up and the gif booth wait time around 30 mins and my best gif of the con (my buddy thinks the Atomic Blonde one we did later topped it).  At the stage, the cast, except for Joe? who was having his baby, threw out free buttons, which I got from the roaming floor squad behind the mass people at the stage.  And you didn't need a badge to enter inside.

The Spencers pop up shop had SDCC exclusive 3.75" figures of each of the cast members, of which we bought Joe and Murr.  Murr ran around the ballfield signing autographs and we left before seeing the new episode.

Offline Xircuits

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 103
« Reply #88 on: July 27, 2017, 08:52:25 AM »
I went to the Mr. Robot E-Coin sign up on Sunday. The line wasn't too long and got a lanyard and a bottle opener. I was really happy about the bottle opener because it felt solid and heavy.

I also went to the The Tick and that was fun. The line was very long, but they did hand out free bottles of water and sunscreen samples. When I got in, I registered and they gave me a wristband with an RFID in it. There were couches inside and charging stations for your phone. They also handed you wireless headphones so you can listen to the pilot episode. Once finished, you received a Tick bag with goodies inside. I got 4-5 Tick antenna headbands, 2-3 iphone cases, a Tick cap with antennas.

I didn't have much time to go to offsites this year. Maybe next year?
Handle for most social media & gaming accounts: @Xircuits

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7002
« Reply #89 on: July 27, 2017, 09:27:38 AM »
the bladerunner49 VR hands down- best offsite-

the expanse was good

teh mr robot E-coin vis the web site (not the off-site activation) was fabulous-  i used it multiple times
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5