Author Topic: San Diego Convention Center Expansion  (Read 166551 times)

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
Re: San Diego Convention Center Expansion
« Reply #885 on: September 26, 2017, 11:55:02 AM »
I know they extended the contract time for con to stay here till year like 2020 if i rememebr right, cause first it was only till 2018 but knew they was gonna loose alot bank if let it just move without a solid fite and all. As they say - Action speaks louder then words - so they need to get past all the bs and get results if they wanna keep the con here forever so to speak. they can have so many meetings to say what has to happen or wanna happen, but untill they start doing then it all just wasted time meeting and words in the wind so to speak.

Offline Iris

• Supporter
  • Hall H
    • Website links to my discord for alternate contacting
  • Liked: 708
« Reply #886 on: September 29, 2017, 01:58:37 PM »
[member=6880]cabler30[/member]

Worth a note though if I'm not mistaken, SDCC has said in the past that they believe the size (size of attendees etc.) is about the maximum they can and want to handle at the current size without affecting the experience poorly. So I imagine SDCC mainly wants the upgrades/updates to the convention etc. itself. I think the main sticking point for them is the hotels issue for now.
Author of the Hotel Exchange Deposit and Transfer Walkthrough. If you need help with figuring out the logistics of an OP deposit, transfer, etc., please feel free to DM me here or Discord and I'll do my best to help. If you DM me on Discord, please identify yourself and that you're from the forum.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #887 on: Today at 11:12:48 AM »

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #887 on: September 30, 2017, 12:24:49 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Worth a note though if I'm not mistaken, SDCC has said in the past that they believe the size (size of attendees etc.) is about the maximum they can and want to handle at the current size without affecting the experience poorly. So I imagine SDCC mainly wants the upgrades/updates to the convention etc. itself. I think the main sticking point for them is the hotels issue for now.

So guessing wont be no expansion of the center itself like no remving walls any just the insides are being updated or what not. then hotels just gotta make space to have enough rooms open to be rented or used for the con at time. this all just what i see and understand most.

Offline Iris

• Supporter
  • Hall H
« Reply #888 on: September 30, 2017, 02:11:34 PM »
So guessing wont be no expansion of the center itself like no remving walls any just the insides are being updated or what not. then hotels just gotta make space to have enough rooms open to be rented or used for the con at time. this all just what i see and understand most.

It might be an expansion still, but I'm not sure they'd be interested in more attendees than 120,000/day, as it is now.

We'll see how hotel negotiations/renegotiations go too and any new hotels (ie. Pendry, Hotel Z, etc.)
Author of the Hotel Exchange Deposit and Transfer Walkthrough. If you need help with figuring out the logistics of an OP deposit, transfer, etc., please feel free to DM me here or Discord and I'll do my best to help. If you DM me on Discord, please identify yourself and that you're from the forum.

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #889 on: October 01, 2017, 12:38:43 PM »
It might be an expansion still, but I'm not sure they'd be interested in more attendees than 120,000/day, as it is now.

We'll see how hotel negotiations/renegotiations go too and any new hotels (ie. Pendry, Hotel Z, etc.)

I see what u mean, i use to go years back and recent had chance to go this year as volunteer. thankful they have all the help they get to help manage the traffic cause from what i see it alot worst now then years ago lol. i noticed that alot different stuff adds to the hassles in more ways then one as well. so heres hoping all goes right so they are here beyond what is already said .

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #890 on: October 17, 2017, 11:35:55 PM »
Not so fast slow:

From You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The developer of a $300 million hotel complex planned for the same bayfront site as a proposed convention center expansion has filed suit against the city of San Diego, claiming that it is interfering with its contractual right to move forward with its project. The lawsuit, which also names the San Diego Convention Center Corp., is asking for a court order that would effectively bar the city and the corporation from continuing to pursue an expansion of the center on land they do not control.

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #891 on: October 18, 2017, 03:45:00 PM »
All this expansion talk, atleast when comic con is here that everyone knows ur not gonna want to stay in the convention center the whole day since so much to do around the place through the week of the event. and with the rfid badge scan in and out process, i guess it helps them get some idea of how many or how much traffic is by chance inside at any given time. i guess kinda like going to a mall lol, how many hours do u really spend inside any given day lol. same for the con, how many hours does anyone really stay inside any given time ea day. i seen how some areas can get clogged cause of something everyone try see and check out lol, but it eventually starts to unclog when security or staff cruize around and basically tell traffic to move at any given time lol. if it wasnt for staff telling traffic to move along then i hate to see what happens when chaos erupts any and not allowed to fun lol.

Offline citizenmilton

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 75
« Reply #892 on: October 19, 2017, 01:55:40 PM »
Am I being a complete dunce again or isn't the solution here bleedingly obvious?

TEAM 5TH AVE: "WE WANT A HOTEL!"

TEAM CONV CTR: "WE WANT AN EXPANSION"

CON ATTENDEES: "UH WE KINDA NEED BOTH RIGHT?"

There's likely multimillion dollar architectural firms drawing up plans for both sides, maybe even with nice models to demonstrate their visions. I wish they held dueling press conferences unveiling their master plans at the same time, and I'd just roll up into the hotel team's presentation, steal their hotel model, walk over to the convention center expansion team's presentation, stick the hotel model on top of the convention center expansion model, put on some duct tape to hold them together, voila, here's your new master plan.

Kidding aside, isn't a compromise in every party's interest? Why chart a path towards years of more delays, years of more litigation, when everyone could make more profits sooner just by working together?

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #893 on: October 19, 2017, 02:13:10 PM »
Am I being a complete dunce again or isn't the solution here bleedingly obvious?

There's likely multimillion dollar architectural firms drawing up plans for both sides, maybe even with nice models to demonstrate their visions. I wish they held dueling press conferences unveiling their master plans at the same time, and I'd just roll up into the hotel team's presentation, steal their hotel model, walk over to the convention center expansion team's presentation, stick the hotel model on top of the convention center expansion model, put on some duct tape to hold them together, voila, here's your new master plan.

Kidding aside, isn't a compromise in every party's interest? Why chart a path towards years of more delays, years of more litigation, when everyone could make more profits sooner just by working together?

I would pay money to see LITERALLY dueling press conferences with like swords and stuff.

HOTEL *lunges with sword*
EXPANSION *parries*

(I'm not a sword person. My terminology is way off I know)

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #894 on: October 19, 2017, 02:45:14 PM »
Not really sure where they gonna expand to really if from what i have read that some space close by is owned by somebody else and they just sitting on the land till like dooms day i guess or till they wanna sell the part of land they own to the highest bidder i guess if that ever happens later.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #895 on: October 19, 2017, 03:37:07 PM »
Sad thing is, the original expansion plan called for a significant expansion of the Hilton Bayfront, and having it *attached* to the expanded convention center!

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #896 on: October 19, 2017, 06:31:35 PM »
I try to vision how they can attach it like say a bridge kinda expansion maybe? not sure how else but was just an option i can see off hand.

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #897 on: October 20, 2017, 05:53:15 AM »
Transformer hotel!  It's a convention center!  It's a hotel!  It's a convention center that transforms into a hotel!  And back again!

Would it be the start of a new class of transformers?  Call them 'Hotelicons'?  Folks meet 'Bayfrontron'!

OK, I think there's waaaaaaaay too much caffeine in my DD coffee today...
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #898 on: October 20, 2017, 09:16:41 AM »
I like the way you're thinking, Michael!

Offline Iris

• Supporter
  • Hall H
« Reply #899 on: October 20, 2017, 04:29:25 PM »

One would hope they can find a compromise. But honestly, in my experience when an organization, especially a big hotel company/etc., has already poured funds and often years in getting their plan up to scratch to be officially presented... they're unlikely to want to budge at all. I'm not sure how long the company has been planning the hotel on that site though. All I know is that the convention expansion has gone through years of constant litigation and planning.

Especially considering it looks like Fifth Ave. has the current contract to lease from SD for the land in question, which'll be a big contract dispute now. I'm curious as to the terms for the contract with Port of San Diego now... because it is generally a government agency, as far as I know, so I wouldn't be surprised if they have a general power to do what they think is best for the area in terms of breaking a lease at least before the building officially starts...

I might be mistaken... but I'm pretty sure the property that both side want to build on is in fact owned by the city. It's managed by the Port of San Diego and basically various areas lease the land to use for their businesses. I'm not sure if corporations etc. are allowed to outright by the land. So I'm pretty sure the land is owned by the SD government, a third-party obvious, it's just that... I think after the initial expansion looked super far off from being approved whoever (I assume CCI) let the lease fall off for the land and then Fifth Avenue Landing contracted with PoSD to lease the land.