Author Topic: NYCC Streaming??  (Read 5446 times)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7002
NYCC Streaming??
« on: June 22, 2013, 01:41:20 PM »
OK- gonna show my ignorance here;
Has nycc been streamed in the past?  how'd it work out?

I ask because i ran across this PR Announcement about NYCC & Twitch.  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Since i'm not a gamer nor do i remember any streaming at nycc, i'm a little clueless but does it mean that there is potential for me to stream nycc over my xbox one? or am i making too many leaps?

Here's the text of the PR

The folks in charge of running America's largest biannual gaming event are teaming up with gaming's most popular streaming solution to offer streams of PAX Prime, PAX East, and New York Comic Con going forward. The company behind all three conventions, ReedPOP, are working in conjunction with Twitch.tv to offer live broadcasts from the aforementioned three shows, as well as Chicago's Comic & Entertainment Expo. ReedPOP also runs PAX Australia, though it looks like Twitch isn't handling that streaming as well.

Twitch's biggest competitor in the streaming space, Ustream, secured a deal with Sony to handle streaming from the company's forthcoming PlayStation 4 game console. Microsoft's Xbox One can also handle streaming -- Xbox One distinguished engineer Nick Baker told Engadget, "We architected in several components to allow that. We have a video hardware encoder, h.264, and the ability to essentially screen scrape. Take your output without having to render two separate images. Take your output, feed that back to memory, compress it, save it, stream it to a companion device. The hardware has the capability." Microsoft has yet to announce a plan for how its streaming will work on Xbox One, but we imagine we'll know much more as of next week.
Hide Press Release

Twitch Announces Exclusive Broadcasting Partnership with ReedPOP

PAX Prime, PAX East, New York Comic Con and C2E2 among initial pop culture conventions streaming live content exclusively on Twitch

SAN FRANCISCO- June 5, 2013 - Twitch, the world's leading video platform and community for gamers, today announced it has teamed up with ReedPOP, the largest producer of pop culture events in the world, as their exclusive streaming partner. Twitch will be the live broadcasting home for some of their largest pop culture conventions, including PAX Prime, PAX East, New York Comic Con and the Chicago Comic & Entertainment Expo (C2E2).

"Given the growing popularity of pop culture conventions, many of them are selling out, leaving a lot of fans out in the dark and having to trawl the internet for bits and pieces of news that relate to these events," said Emmett Shear, Twitch CEO. "With our new partnership with ReedPOP, the ability to enjoy compelling convention content from the comfort of home is now a reality."

Twitch and ReedPOP have a long standing relationship which have involved partnerships surrounding their biggest pop culture events, such as PAX, C2E2 and New York Comic Con. This new partnership bundles all of these events and more on the horizon into a cohesive package for greater synergy between brands and offerings.

"We are all about reaching as many fans as possible and anything we can do to connect our fans with the incredible talent that comes to our shows is awesome," notes Lance Fensterman, Global Vice President, ReedPOP. "This partnership with Twitch ensures that everyone interested in our shows will have a consistent destination for some of the best pop culture content in the world whenever they want!"

The partnership with ReedPOP is a significant milestone for Twitch as the company approaches its two-year anniversary. With a growing number of broadcasting partners and visitors-which have both more than quadrupled since its launch in June 2011-having secured a large scale exclusive with an industry leader like ReedPOP is indicative of Twitch's preeminent role in the live streaming movement.

For sponsorship opportunities, please contact Jason Scorrano at [email protected].

About Twitch
Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers. More than 35 million gamers gather every month on Twitch to broadcast, watch and chat about gaming. Twitch's video platform is the backbone of both live and on-demand distribution for leading video game broadcasters including casual gamers, pro players, tournaments, leagues, developers and gaming media organizations. Twitch is leading a revolution in the gaming community, working to create a participatory experience that transcends gameplay. Learn more at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.

About ReedPOP: ReedPOP is a boutique group within Reed Exhibitions which is exclusively devoted to organizing events, launching and acquiring new shows, and partnering with premium brands in the pop culture arena. ReedPOP is dedicated to producing celebrations of popular culture throughout the world that transcend ordinary events by providing unique access and dynamic personal experiences for consumers and fans. The ReedPOP portfolio includes: New York Comic Con (NYCC), Chicago Comic & Entertainment Expo (C2E2), Penny Arcade Expo (PAX) Prime & East, Star Wars Celebration, and the UFC Fan Expo. In 2013 ReedPOP has added Star Wars Celebration Europe and PAX Australia to its rapidly expanding portfolio of international events. The staff at ReedPOP is a fan based group of professionals producing shows for other fans, thus making them uniquely qualified to service those with whom they share a common passion. ReedPOP is focused on bringing its expertise and knowledge to world communities in North America, South America, Asia and Europe.

Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
  • Formally When Nerds Attack
    • You Fancy Me Mad
  • Liked: 538
Re: NYCC Streaming??
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 01:49:45 PM »
They did it at C2E2 this year but it'll be the first time for NYCC.

Sounds like the potential is there for streaming via a console but doesn't sound like it's concrete yet.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 07:37:39 AM »

Offline Angology

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 01:50:16 PM »
We watched the NYCC Walking Dead panel as it happened last year. I believe I airplayed it from my iPad to my AppleTV. It worked out pretty well-I don't remember there being any glitches.
I was wondering why I had the Twitch app on my iPad! Now I remember why!
Ang

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
    • You Fancy Me Mad
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 01:52:00 PM »
They had it last year? Guess I didn't notice since I was there. lol

Offline Angology

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 01:52:28 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
They did it at C2E2 this year but it'll be the first time for NYCC.
We did watch it last year-must not have been through Twitch then. Must have the Twitch app for some other reason! The mystery continues.
Ang

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 01:53:06 PM »
were you at the con when you watched the nycc wd panel?
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
    • You Fancy Me Mad
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 01:53:45 PM »
Nope! You're right, looks like last year was the 1st time!

Offline Angology

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 01:56:29 PM »
were you at the con when you watched the nycc wd panel?
No-we were at home. Sorry-didn't know that was why you were asking (although I do know that you are going-I remember the posts). If it was through Twitch-I probably would have been able to watch it on a tablet. They do have apps.
Ang

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 02:13:04 PM »
I went last year but will not be attending this year (2013).  I was hoping that i'd be able to stream the panels at home & it sound as tho i should be able to.  if i can figure out the tech....<hehe>

I use to watch cycling races from other countires, like the giro etc via web services & am hoping the nycc Twitch has a similar set up.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 04:29:13 PM by alyssa »

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
    • You Fancy Me Mad
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2013, 02:16:29 PM »
You should be able to watch online too if you can't figure out the console stuff.

Offline Angology

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2013, 02:30:07 PM »
I went last year but will not be attending this year (2013).  I was hoping that i'd be able to stream the panels at home & it sound as tho i should be able to.  if i can figure out the tech....<hehe>

I use to watch forging cycling races, like the giro etc via web services & am hoping the nycc Twitch has a similar set up.
Well-I can't get anything right today (except that I did stream it last year-that much I do know). I must have been thinking of last year. Or did you login to see how the ticketing worked this year for NYCC?

It was pretty cool to check it out. I was so jealous of all of the posts here and on Facebook. It was nice to get a taste of the con.
Ang

Offline NYRider

• Hall H
  • Liked: 185
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2013, 04:08:41 PM »
They streamed IGN Theater panels, in the queue hall too. But some footage shown was censored, due to piracy concerns.

I do think they plan to stream more panels this year. Microsoft announced a partnership with Twitch TV for the Xbox One at E3. So maybe in future you'll be watch NYCC panels on there as well.

Offline Boukenred

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 101
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2013, 09:29:22 PM »
As far as I know, streaming seems to be only successful at IGN theatre, 'cause they have main priority to the Javits center's Internet access. While everybody else would have a very lousy connection to a wifi -- and Javits Center have been notoriously known for having a terrible connection. Even retailers have difficulty getting a signal, and wouldn't be able to complete a credit card transaction -- and this happen every year.

So unless Javits Center do something about their wifi connection, it's unlikely that streaming would go smooth.
Twitter/Instagram: @Boukenred