Author Topic: NYCC: 7 Train Extension to the Javits  (Read 7973 times)

Offline Frank11207

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 13
Re: NYCC: 7 Train Extension to the Javits
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2015, 01:17:26 PM »
That sign may be old , I'm guessing by July or August the line extension should be open. Our equipment is going be commissioned soon.

Offline NYRider

• Hall H
  • Liked: 185
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2015, 01:07:50 PM »
7 train will be open at 34th Street and 11th Avenue on Sept. 13th 2015:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 02:11:55 PM by NYRider »

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 05:57:41 AM »

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2015, 02:08:29 PM »
7 train will be open 4th Street and 11th Avenue on Sept. 13th 2015:

YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!!

that is fabulous news!  thx
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline riotgirl77

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 66
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2015, 05:28:40 PM »
Yay! Now we wait for Hudson Yards to finish :)

Offline NYRider

• Hall H
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2015, 05:02:11 AM »
Yay! Now we wait for Hudson Yards to finish :)

A section of Hudson Yards Park actually opened up yesterday. Pictures inside the article look nice::

Offline riotgirl77

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 66
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2015, 10:40:02 AM »
A section of Hudson Yards Park actually opened up yesterday. Pictures inside the article look nice::

very nice!  :)

Offline Boukenred

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 101
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2015, 07:46:15 PM »
Saw this update on the 7-Train this morning.

Twitter/Instagram: @Boukenred

Offline savvyangeluk

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2015, 01:30:56 AM »
Having never been to New York im trying to learn as much as I can about getting around before I get there.

We are staying in Times Square, googlemap says it is an half hour walk (does this sound about right to you guys), which is fine as I enjoy a good walk, but there will be times when feeling particularly tired after a long con day perhaps that public transport will be calling to us  ;)  Is this 7 train the one we need to get?

Offline bradk

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 23
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2015, 04:12:11 AM »
I'd say it depends on specifics, but it's about 15 minutes (maybe a little less) from 8th ave to 11th.

google maps should provide you with mass transit options as well.

I can't see how the 7 would be particularly amazing unless you're already on the subway. there's still the M34 bus as well as the M42 (34th and 42nd sts respectively) and there should be free hotel shuttles as well.

Also keep in mind, at least in terms of arriving, you'll probably be directed to 38th street when arriving, so little point if you're staying above 34th to walk down to 34th only to have to walk up later (unless you are pro/press/vip).

I hate to be the voice of dissent but I've lived in NYC for almost 20 years and I'm not overly excited about the extension, but we'll see. I'm on the A line myself so it should be interesting to see how it plays out.

Offline Andrew Costa Mesa

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 829
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2015, 10:36:52 AM »

The New York Times, Friday, September 11, 2015

SUBWAY STATION TO OPEN THIS WEEKEND, BRINGING 7 LINE TO FAR WEST SIDE

By EMMA G. FITZSIMMONS, The New York Times

In his final weeks as mayor, Michael R. Bloomberg, I-New York City, took a ceremonial ride to a new subway station on the Far West Side of Manhattan.  For people who live and work in the neighborhood, the wait has been longer.

Almost two years later, the No. 7 station at 34th Street and 11th Avenue - New York City’s first new subway station in a quarter-century - is scheduled to open to the public on Sunday.

The station is expected to initially attract about 32,000 passengers each weekday.  Because tracks were built as far south as 25th Street, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority will have more space to store trains, which officials said would improve service for all No. 7 train riders.

The station, which will open to riders around 1 p.m., is unusual for another reason:  It is the first subway extension paid for by the city in more than 60 years.

The opening, then, not only represents a much-awaited moment for New York’s subway riders and historians, but it also serves as a tangible talking point for those who believe the city should pay a greater share for capital projects for the state-controlled transportation agency.

Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo, D-New York, said this summer that the city should greatly increase its contributions to the authority’s capital plan, suggesting that the city pay an additional $200 million per year for the five-year plan, and another $1.5 billion that would be dedicated to the Second Avenue subway line.

City officials have balked thus far, but the administration of Mayor Bill de Blasio, D-New York City, has continued to make payments as part of the $2.4 billion funding agreement for the No. 7 extension reached by the Bloomberg administration, as part of the Hudson Yards development.

Since construction began in 2007, the neighborhood has undergone a makeover.  In what was once a desolate industrial area, cranes dot the skyline as buildings sprout in the Hudson Yards district, which is roughly west of Eighth Avenue between 30th and 42nd Streets.  The Jacob K. Javits Convention Center received a nearly half-billion dollar renovation, and tourists flock to the nearby High Line.

Many who work in the area say they will not miss the long trek from the nearest subway station at Pennsylvania Station.

As Frannie Speer left her office on a recent evening, she said she was “thrilled” to be able to use the new station this winter.

“The walk from here all the way to the A train is pretty painful,” said Ms. Speer, 26, who lives in TriBeCa and works at the fashion company Coach.

The station has had its share of setbacks.  There were problems with incline elevators made in Italy by the company Maspero Elevatori, which has also made angled lifts for projects in the French Riviera and Malaysia.  Earlier this year, officials said that they were still testing the communications system, fire alarms and other parts of the station.

The problems have caused the transportation authority to push back the station’s opening repeatedly, leading to frustration among residents of the growing neighborhood.

The delays have also raised concerns about the authority’s credibility just as its chairman, Thomas F. Prendergast, has been working to secure funding for the agency’s $29 billion capital plan to maintain and improve the system.

At a City Council hearing in June, Corey Johnson, the councilman for the district, grilled Mr. Prendergast over the shifting timeline.  Mr. Prendergast acknowledged the delays were embarrassing, saying that “megaprojects” had been “problematic” for the agency, including the Second Avenue subway and the East Side Access project, which would bring the Long Island Rail Road to Grand Central Terminal.

“I truly understand the loss in credibility when we keep extending things and adding costs to a project,” Mr. Prendergast said.

But even Councilman Johnson seemed upbeat this week.

“I’m excited because this is a transformative thing that is going to unlock a huge amount of potential for the West Side,” he said.  “But the incessant, constant delays and the missing of deadlines and benchmarks were making people pull their hair out.”

This is the first time the city has paid to expand the subway system since the Queens Boulevard line was extended to Jamaica-179th Street in 1950;  the station is the city’s first new one since 1989, when the authority opened stations at Lexington Avenue and 63rd Street in Manhattan, on Roosevelt Island and 21st Street-Queensbridge in Queens, officials said.  As part of the No. 7 extension, officials had planned for a second station at 10th Avenue and 41st Street, but those plans were scrapped because of budget concerns.

Mr. de Blasio plans to attend the opening on Sunday.  In a statement, Deputy Mayor Alicia Glen said city officials were “thrilled” to see Hudson Yards in “full swing and getting better every day.”

Mr. Cuomo’s office has not said whether he will attend.  At least one prominent official is skipping the celebration:  Mr. Bloomberg, who could not make it because of scheduling conflicts, according to a spokeswoman, Rebecca Carriero.

The subway extension was an important part of Mayor Bloomberg’s legacy, said Daniel L. Doctoroff, the deputy mayor for economic development under Mr. Bloomberg.  As for the lag in the opening, Mr. Doctoroff said officials from the previous administration were not frustrated by it.

“What’s important is that you get it right - this is infrastructure that is going to be in place for hopefully hundreds of years,” he said.  “What’s clear is that people are investing in the area based on the expectation that it will come, and now it’s been delivered on.”

Copyright © 2015 The New York Times Company

(N.Y. Times/Joshua Bright)  Outside the new No. 7 subway station on the West Side of Manhattan on Friday, September 11.  The station will open to the public on Sunday, September 13.
WizardWorld Comic Con Anaheim 2011
WonderCon 2013-2018 & 2023-2024
NYCC 2014-2017 & 2022-2023
SDCC 2011 (Saturday only), 2012, 2013 (Thursday, Saturday & Sunday only), 2014-2019, 2022 & 2023 (Fri-Sun only), 2024
D23 Expo 2017
OZ Comic Con Sydney (Australia) 2016
WizardWorld Los Angeles 2019

Offline NYRider

• Hall H
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2015, 10:51:52 AM »
There no service changes on the 7 train this weekend.

Offline Andrew Costa Mesa

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 829
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2015, 12:04:38 PM »
There no service changes on the 7 train this weekend.

If you look specifically at the 7 line, you will see the 34th St. and 11th Ave. station has been added.
I think the "changes" page is only for service disruptions.

WizardWorld Comic Con Anaheim 2011
WonderCon 2013-2018 & 2023-2024
NYCC 2014-2017 & 2022-2023
SDCC 2011 (Saturday only), 2012, 2013 (Thursday, Saturday & Sunday only), 2014-2019, 2022 & 2023 (Fri-Sun only), 2024
D23 Expo 2017
OZ Comic Con Sydney (Australia) 2016
WizardWorld Los Angeles 2019

Offline NYRider

• Hall H
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2015, 07:06:14 PM »
If you look specifically at the 7 line, you will see the 34th St. and 11th Ave. station has been added.
I think the "changes" page is only for service disruptions.

That was my point. As mentioned before the 7 train often has service disruptions going into Manhattan. But not this weekend and next few weekends.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 07:12:04 PM by NYRider »

Offline Computer Gary

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 12
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2015, 10:18:46 PM »
As mentioned before the 7 train often has service disruptions going into Manhattan. But not this weekend and next few weekends.

I would hope not... for those of you not familiar with the NYC subway, the #7 train also serves Citi Field, and with the Mets expected to win the NL East - their magic number to clinch the division is 12 - the Flushing line is going to be extra busy in October.

Offline Computer Gary

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 12
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2015, 03:21:24 AM »
Thought you might want to know that even with the new #7 train extension, you're still going to have a bit of a walk before you get to the Javits Center.  According to the MTA's "Neighborhood Map" for the area, the entrance to the new station will be roughly between 10th and 11th Avenue - and on the SOUTH side of 34th Street.

Don't get me wrong - it's definitely going to be an improvement - but I'm sure I'm not the only one who thought there would be an entrance directly across from Javits instead of having to walk half a crosstown block and cross 34th Street.