Author Topic: FoCC Fantasy Football league 2017  (Read 30910 times)

Offline MickeyJack

• Supporter
  • Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 591
Re: FoCC Fantasy Football league 2017
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2017, 06:53:48 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
why?  being the clueless one, I am wondering why espn is better. Is it easier to use or does it have better features?
I can't speak for Mark. There will always be some varying opinions, but many find ESPN easier to use, and there are lots of interesting information options and advice columns. Many commissioners find it a good option for leagues with team owners of a variety of levels of experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Mario Wario

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
  • Crazy-Town Banana-Pants!
  • Liked: 684
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2017, 08:26:06 AM »
why?  being the clueless one, I am wondering why espn is better. Is it easier to use or does it have better features?
I can't speak for Mark, and whatever he does, I'm fine with it. That being said, I find ESPN to be a better system, especially when being a commish and drafting. (Mickeyjack3 pretty much explained why I like it more.) Their app is also better. Of course ESPN is not perfect, no ff site is. Overall, it's personal preference. I used ESPN before many times and had no issues to speak of.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 08:29:30 AM by Mario Wario »
Twitter: @ScottyTheWise

2014: SDCC, LBCC
2015: WC, SWCA, WW Sac., D23, LBCC, Comikaze
2016: SVCC, WC, SDCC
2017: ECCC, WC, SVCC, D23, SDCC
2018: WC, SVCC, E3, SDCC
2019: WC, SDCC, D23
2022: SWCA, SDCC, D23
2023: SDCC

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 02:26:47 AM »

Offline dcuodust

• Hall H
  • To me, my board!
  • Liked: 405
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2017, 02:22:47 PM »
Mark has just returned from a family trip to Iceland. He indicated that we were probably switching to ESPN, which I would wholeheartedly support. He made it sound as if there is room for new members and that he needs just a day or two to pull things together. As you well know dcuodust, mark is an excellent commissioner and will follow through. Never fear. All will be well.
Family schmamily. [member=4270]mark[/member] is a data "scientist". Can't he multitask? #ReverseMicroAggression :)
What are you, Worf? Do you tremble and quake with fear at the approach of combat? Hoping to talk your way out of a fight like a Human? Or do you hear the cry of the warrior, calling you to battle, calling you to glory like a Klingon?
- Gowron, Chancellor of the Klingon High Council

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2017, 04:30:37 PM »
I just want to make sure I'm still in.....because I am in!

You are definitely in! Hopefully your friend that was in last year too?

Which website are we using? Is this a for fun/bragging league or are there dues?

We'll use ESPN this year, depending on the final tally there will be two 10-team or 2 12-team leagues. For fun and bragging, no dues at all. There will be a little prize for the overall winner and the other top 2 finishers from each league. Plus something for last place. And [member=3906]dcuodust[/member] puts together these great little gift bags and bookmarks to hand out during SDCC. I'll post pics of last year's prizes later.

First game this year is September 7th, so thinking sometime during the 2 prior weekends for the draft. I will ask for preferences of course, we usually have a fair number of people that auto-draft, never seems to hurt them.

Regarding the switch to ESPN, this was my thought after the yahoo security issues reported last year. I know a lot of people that like ESPN FF as well. Hopefully it'll be pretty similar.

Family schmamily. [member=4270]mark[/member] is a data "scientist". Can't he multitask? #ReverseMicroAggression :)

Oh you.

Actually, I am in a work meeting right now, and drinking coffee, and growing a beard, plus scratching said beard since it's itchy. Not to mention thinking of an animal to use for one of the league names, I'm keeping the Otters of course, figure the other league should get an animal too :)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2017, 05:36:08 PM »
You are definitely in! Hopefully your friend that was in last year too?

We'll use ESPN this year, depending on the final tally there will be two 10-team or 2 12-team leagues. For fun and bragging, no dues at all. There will be a little prize for the overall winner and the other top 2 finishers from each league. Plus something for last place. And [member=3906]dcuodust[/member] puts together these great little gift bags and bookmarks to hand out during SDCC. I'll post pics of last year's prizes later.
being a complete newbee, i got the courage (i think) award (picture below)-- yes if there's room and newbee folks are interested in learning FF.... this is a good place to try it

First game this year is September 7th, so thinking sometime during the 2 prior weekends for the draft. I will ask for preferences of course, we usually have a fair number of people that auto-draft, never seems to hurt them.

Regarding the switch to ESPN, this was my thought after the yahoo security issues reported last year. I know a lot of people that like ESPN FF as well. Hopefully it'll be pretty similar.
makes sense- I am hoping auto draft is simple with espn. 

Actually, I am in a work meeting right now, and drinking coffee, and growing a beard, plus scratching said beard since it's itchy. Not to mention thinking of an animal to use for one of the league names, I'm keeping the Otters of course, figure the other league should get an animal too :)
badger?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 05:38:53 PM by alyssa »
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2017, 06:35:51 PM »
Badgers it is! :)

I think I got everyone who wanted to join, and we still have one spot open. If I have to I will assign a team to my daughter but I would rather not, it's just not fair to everyone else.

Scoring and roster settings will be exactly the same in each league, (I haven't set these up yet so most things will be ESPN defaults.) The overall winner will be whoever gets the highest score in the two league finals. It looks like I will need to send individual invites, will get started on that in a bit.

BADGERS
[member=13]Carlo[/member] 
[member=3450]Cut That Meat[/member]
[member=3906]dcuodust[/member]
[member=5427]jclemy[/member]
[member=1233]jopari[/member]
[member=414]karatekid[/member]
[member=4270]mark[/member]
[member=2226]Mel[/member]
Bellsprouts, friend of [member=2226]Mel[/member]
[member=2143]Mel.I.Am[/member]
[member=2125]mickeyjack3[/member]
[member=2988]shavri[/member]

OTTERS
[member=1]alyssa[/member]
[member=819]brand4d2[/member]
[member=4351]corgikohmander[/member]
[member=5544]Deathbyjackal[/member]
Gavin, son of mark
[member=2389]Mario Wario[/member]
[member=846]rando[/member]
[member=2835]straightline3[/member]
[member=5732]superkatchick[/member]
[member=412]tk415650[/member]
[member=5606]tsnyder[/member]
TBD?

Offline MickeyJack

• Supporter
  • Ballroom 20
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2017, 07:01:48 PM »
being a complete newbee, i got the courage (i think) award (picture below)-- yes if there's room and newbee folks are interested in learning FF.... this is a good place to try it

makes sense- I am hoping auto draft is simple with espn. 
badger?
I'm from Minnesota. If you know anything about people from Minnesota is that there is no animal we despise more than the badger.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2017, 07:12:51 PM »
[member=4270]mark[/member] I may have someone for the last slot of the otter league
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2017, 07:37:59 PM »
[member=4270]mark[/member] [member=3545]sassafrass[/member] has said he's interested. He's jopari's friend

Offline sassafrass

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 19
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2017, 07:56:47 PM »
Sounds like fun, I'm in if there is a spot

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2017, 08:09:54 PM »
Sounds like fun, I'm in if there is a spot

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Awesome!

I'm from Minnesota. If you know anything about people from Minnesota is that there is no animal we despise more than the badger.

That's good, you can channel that rage into your game :)

Offline MickeyJack

• Supporter
  • Ballroom 20
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2017, 08:13:22 PM »
Awesome!

That's good, you can channel that rage into your game :)
You sound like my coach! I hated that coach! But you're my captain. I love my captain.

Offline MickeyJack

• Supporter
  • Ballroom 20
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2017, 08:27:11 PM »

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2017, 08:37:12 PM »
Invites have gone out for the both leagues through forum messaging. It's a unique link per invite so if you get some kind of error I may have copied it wrong.

I will work on settings and what not tomorrow. There was a general consensus last year to introduce some PPR, I'll probably do a fraction of a point. Otherwise the scoring and roster slots will be similar to last year. I've already got rid of multiple divisions within each league and am thinking we can once again have top 6 make the playoffs for a 3 week playoff period.

Feel free to chime in with suggestions or questions.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 09:13:15 PM by mark »

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2017, 10:10:43 PM »
One person reported getting an error when trying to use the link I had sent. If that happens to you easiest thing to do is to reply to my message with an email I can send the invite to.