Author Topic: Help-- should i buy a new laptop ??  (Read 5480 times)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
Re: Help-- should i buy a new laptop ??
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2018, 09:05:32 PM »
There has been a couple of differences between the description on the lenovo site & the order confirmation. All of those were resolved in my favor, it does indeed have a finger print reader & it does indeed seem to have the long life 6 cell removable battery. Neither of those items were a deal breaker. But otherwise it all checks out-

I am currently on hr six of moderate to light use. according to the battery icon, i have another 2 hrs and 45 min's left. I'll take almost 9rs  of battery life ;) stress testing tomorrow.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2018, 07:02:00 PM »
Love it- no way is it going anywhere- it doesn't get hot or have a constantly running fan... this thing is a dream
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #32 on: Today at 06:05:26 AM »

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2018, 07:10:16 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Love it- no way is it going anywhere- it doesn't get hot or have a constantly running fan... this thing is a dream

Nice!

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2018, 12:05:29 PM »
Good to know all is going right for u and the new tech. as time goes on they find ways to make laptop and desktop pcs better and try help u save along the way and hope with less hassles. im guessing they get feedback overtime and their own staff are encouraged to use what they make so they can give feedback to make the new tech for everyday use better everytime.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2018, 06:55:38 PM »
I think for me, since i've got a clue abt the tech, I've always looked for a deal among the second tier of laptops- Toshiba- Acer etc- and at the 1k $ level they've been good. This time I started looking at the top tier, between lenovo or HP
i happened to get a killer deal on the lenovo refub [850$]- If i had spec'ed it out this would have been at least $1400 [the 1gb ssd]. My budget was in the $900 range.

if i had gotten the same kind of deal with Hp- I'm sure i would have been happy and found all the little touches like rounded seemless corners and a screen that went 180 to the key board. I think the attention to detail you're talking about [member=6880]cabler30[/member] is present in the top tier companies.

Last round I got a another brand and returned it- for the life of me i can't remember what it was but it had sharp edges and hurt when i used it - lol

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2018, 10:49:53 AM »
up date...

well for some reason, an update was causing the machine to hang in the 'getting windows ready' screen for hrs. I don't know if it had anything to do with the use of freshstart... nor do I remember if I did freshstart before or after that update was trying to dl/install.

I had to get a usb from Lenovo- who overnighted it to me - yes, I did not have a 16gb usb sitck so didn't do a back up as soon as I got the machine. there may be other operator errors /looksawayfertivly/

I going through the all updates, then freshstart - again.   lol

/as my biological dad said ' I know just enough to *really really* screw things up', /

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2018, 11:26:32 AM »
We all have those days when u think u on the right track but then something shocks u and u learn from it. do the best u can and post if need any tips or link. last resort call the company for any stuck situations cause they gotta be ready to ask anything when u in a bind.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2018, 12:35:28 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
We all have those days when u think u on the right track but then something shocks u and u learn from it. do the best u can and post if need any tips or link. last resort call the company for any stuck situations cause they gotta be ready to ask anything when u in a bind.

LOL

I knew I needed to call Lenovo all solutions pointed to an OS repair and I didn't have a back up of Win10. It's ok- I hadn't gotten far into the process so every thing is easy to re-do

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2018, 11:57:33 AM »
OK so yesterday should be called 'once more into the breach'
i did a reinstall again cuz i couldn't get the fingerprint/winHello thingy working- yes i was in deep into c prompt/regedit/bios land /sigh/ but then i decided a sledgehammer was called for- i was sick of dealing with the futzzy crap

good news is updates are done, & everything is still working. i'm finally ready to move the old data over & can start clearing off the old machine.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2018, 07:11:01 AM »
just a data point but on the latest install, I did not do fresh start. I opted to do manual un-installs. Thankfully the Lenovo system doesn't seem to have a lot of crapware.

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2018, 10:56:42 AM »
I guess now days, they have learned over the years that buyers dont want alot of added stuff besides just what they really need cause they know we just remove stuff for extra space we need or want more then more crapware we may not need or use over time. there are even uninstallers that have section that can tell u in ways what u use most and stuff u rarelly use lol. so them adding crapware or bloatware lol it just takes up space we can use for other stuff we need or want more.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2018, 08:38:53 AM »
huge shout out to [member=4270]mark[/member] for suggesting the web site You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

i've since subscribed & regularly read their articles. I highly recommend the site for practical general knowledge-