Author Topic: SDCC 2017 Volunteering Thread  (Read 62290 times)

Offline Jonathan

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 338
Re: SDCC 2017 Volunteering Thread
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2016, 06:13:44 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Unless you had any issues with department managers or staff, you should be fine.  If you did a satisfactory or excellent job during a volunteer shift and turned in your "S" card (volunteer shift cards), you can just wait for the returning/priority volunteer sign-up.  That happens at least a week or two before the first-time volunteer sign-up.

Also, if you were a volunteer before, you do not need to join the interest list for new volunteers.

Hope that helps.  ^__^d

To add to what [member=317]Zero[/member] said, lets put it this way. You should have some idea if you did poorly or there was a problem. Usually your volunteer shift lead or the head of the department you worked your shift for (who took care of your S Card,) will let it be known if there were problems. If you hadn't heard anything when your shift was done, and you checked-out, then chances are you're fine and will be invited back. Very rarely will anything negative regarding your volunteer status be done behind your back. I'm not saying it's never happened, since I don't know about every volunteer, but most likely you'll be told to your face if there was a problem during your shift.

Offline LadyCerulean

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2016, 09:12:43 PM »
To add to what [member=317]Zero[/member] said, lets put it this way. You should have some idea if you did poorly or there was a problem. Usually your volunteer shift lead or the head of the department you worked your shift for (who took care of your S Card,) will let it be known if there were problems. If you hadn't heard anything when your shift was done, and you checked-out, then chances are you're fine and will be invited back. Very rarely will anything negative regarding your volunteer status be done behind your back. I'm not saying it's never happened, since I don't know about every volunteer, but most likely you'll be told to your face if there was a problem during your shift.

Are they generally forgiving if there is *a* mistake, or something the staffer agreed you weren't totally at fault for?  I posted this in the 2016 thread, but I made an error when I worked a shift with Autographs and was standing in line in place of a handicapped person.  I drew for the person, then the WB rep asked if I would like to draw for myself as well; in total Auto-pilot mode I did and got a wristband as well.  I was released early after a staffer spoke with me about the wristband (since I'd shown it to other volunteers and it was seen by another staff person), but when I apologized for making the error I was told it wasn't my fault and that the WB people had been making those sorts of errors all morning.  (I still felt bad, and asked that staffer to relay my apologies to the one who had told him to speak with me.)  Other than that I had no issues during this year's SDCC.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 02:55:09 PM »

Offline Jonathan

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2016, 11:52:42 PM »
Are they generally forgiving if there is *a* mistake, or something the staffer agreed you weren't totally at fault for?  I posted this in the 2016 thread, but I made an error when I worked a shift with Autographs and was standing in line in place of a handicapped person.  I drew for the person, then the WB rep asked if I would like to draw for myself as well; in total Auto-pilot mode I did and got a wristband as well.  I was released early after a staffer spoke with me about the wristband (since I'd shown it to other volunteers and it was seen by another staff person), but when I apologized for making the error I was told it wasn't my fault and that the WB people had been making those sorts of errors all morning.  (I still felt bad, and asked that staffer to relay my apologies to the one who had told him to speak with me.)  Other than that I had no issues during this year's SDCC.

You're probably fine. Though, don't take what I say as gospel, since it's a very subjective thing. If you were under my watch, I'd let you go. Most likely ANY and EVERY volunteer in your place would have taken a draw for themselves as well if given the chance. Most volunteers probably don't even know the rules, that on shift, you're not supposed to participate in drawings (or anything else that would benefit) yourself, unless otherwise specifically told it was okay by the volunteer lead and/or department head that you're on shift for.

When you say you were "released early," was that because your shift was over? Or because of the drawing snafu? I still say you're probably fine, but if you were released early due to you drawing for the autograph, then there might be a problem. I would say again, they probably would let you know to your face. But everyone and every situation is different.

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2016, 06:06:50 AM »
I'm definitely interested in volunteering whether I get badges or not. Like someone else mentioned, I like seeing behind-the-scenes :) I wish I was able to volunteer this year though, those Spock T-shirts are simply AWESOME!

I agree...that Spock volunteer shirt was spectacular.  I think SDCC could have sold a ton of those shirts and made a stack of money for the non-profit organization. 
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline nvj29

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 40
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2016, 04:27:07 PM »
Does anyone know if you volunteer for 2 shifts in one day, so you get 2 separate days free badges?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Posts, retweets, live tweets & comments of all things related to Me & My Nerd. @MeMyNerd/twitter & Tumblr

Offline Car_Low

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 610
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2016, 01:48:15 AM »
Does anyone know if you volunteer for 2 shifts in one day, so you get 2 separate days free badges?

You can only do one shift a day.

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2016, 03:02:05 AM »

Carlo is correct.  The Volunteers Department will only allow you to do one shift a day.  One shift for one daily badge is how it works.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline Matthew9543

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2016, 02:27:39 PM »
If I remember correctly, first time volunteers that are on the interest list are sort of a first come, first served basis, right? Also, doesn't it take place like 10:00 in the morning on a weekday?

Offline Jonathan

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2016, 08:21:10 PM »
If I remember correctly, first time volunteers that are on the interest list are sort of a first come, first served basis, right? Also, doesn't it take place like 10:00 in the morning on a weekday?

What do you mean first come, first served basis? If you're lucky enough to get your name/Member ID onto the interest list, then SDCC will alert you to when the volunteer system opens-up. Then,only those who joined the interest list will be able to sign-up to volunteer when the system allows it. Once you're accepted as a volunteer, then you wait in line at SDCC to get a shift based on what time you prefer.

As for times, 1pm is traditionally when you sign-up at SDCC for the next day's shift.  Hope that helps!

Offline Matthew9543

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2016, 10:06:32 PM »
What do you mean first come, first served basis? If you're lucky enough to get your name/Member ID onto the interest list, then SDCC will alert you to when the volunteer system opens-up. Then,only those who joined the interest list will be able to sign-up to volunteer when the system allows it. Once you're accepted as a volunteer, then you wait in line at SDCC to get a shift based on what time you prefer.

As for times, 1pm is traditionally when you sign-up at SDCC for the next day's shift.  Hope that helps!

I meant more of the First Time registration for new Volunteers that takes place after Returning Volunteers sign up.

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2016, 03:02:06 AM »
I meant more of the First Time registration for new Volunteers that takes place after Returning Volunteers sign up.
First-time volunteer sign-up works like this, and generally, there is a limited amount of time before the new volunteer quota is met.  (You can consider it as being first-come, first-served in the sense that once there are enough new volunteers signed up, CCI does close new volunteer registration.)

You have to log into your Member ID (provided that you did sign up for the volunteer interest list prior to that).  Then, you fill in the volunteer registration form through your account, check some boxes acknowledging terms and conditions as well as marking if you are interested in doing a pre-con shift (actual pre-con shift sign-up comes much closer to con), and submit the form.  It's quite a short process, but you do have to pay attention to the e-mail announcements about this, or you'll miss it out on it.

Hope that helps a bit.  :]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Matthew9543

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2016, 12:30:50 PM »
First-time volunteer sign-up works like this, and generally, there is a limited amount of time before the new volunteer quota is met.  (You can consider it as being first-come, first-served in the sense that once there are enough new volunteers signed up, CCI does close new volunteer registration.)

You have to log into your Member ID (provided that you did sign up for the volunteer interest list prior to that).  Then, you fill in the volunteer registration form through your account, check some boxes acknowledging terms and conditions as well as marking if you are interested in doing a pre-con shift (actual pre-con shift sign-up comes much closer to con), and submit the form.  It's quite a short process, but you do have to pay attention to the e-mail announcements about this, or you'll miss it out on it.

Hope that helps a bit.  :]
Okay awesome. I signed up for the volunteer list last year, but I'm gonna try and do it again. Thanks!

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2016, 04:51:39 PM »
Okay awesome. I signed up for the volunteer list last year, but I'm gonna try and do it again. Thanks!

Glad I could help and clarify some things!  ^__^d

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2016, 03:41:32 PM »

Volunteers

Please check this page in the fall for information regarding the Comic-Con 2017 Volunteer Interest List. We thank you for your support and interest in our program.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2016, 05:24:32 PM »
Please check this page in the fall for information regarding the Comic-Con 2017 Volunteer Interest List. We thank you for your support and interest in our program.

Hmmmm.... isn't it technically already Fall? ;)