Author Topic: SDCC 2018 Volunteering Thread  (Read 42859 times)

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
Re: SDCC 2018 Volunteering Thread
« Reply #105 on: December 05, 2017, 10:51:09 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I have to think the fact that it's still open is due to cci not offering PV nite to all volunteers- there's a lot less incentive to work a shift if folks don't get into PV nite.

Well considering I didn't think volunteering got me into PV night anyways, it's no loss for me. ;)

Seriously, didn't they say last year that volunteers only got into PV night if they paid for PV night?

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #106 on: December 05, 2017, 10:55:51 AM »
Come to think of it, there was considerably more time involved than the 3 hour shift, even though I had a pre-con shift.  Somehow my paperwork was not entered into the system (along with hundreds of others, I believe), and we had to keep coming back to see if we were in the system so we could get our free day.  Not fun.

Perhaps some tweaking of the system is in order to make it more attractive.  It would be great to be able to get  more than one day's shift at a time.  I thought that is the way they did it some years back. Anybody remember?  I truly thought you could be assigned to an area and work that area throughout the convention.

For me it was all pretty smooth.  I think a lot depends on timing.  When I went to register the line was short.  Yes, there was a problem with the computer and they had to manually process my pre-con shift.  Otherwise, it was pretty smooth sailing.  I never really stood in a line.  When you show up for your shift, go into the short line and you get right through.  If you are signing up for a shift, wait until 6-7 and there is no line.  Also, all my shifts let me go early.  Some only by a few minutes, some by a bigger margin.  There was always more volunteers than they had jobs.  So when a new batch showed up instead of having way too many people standing around, they would let us go.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #107 on: Today at 01:12:00 AM »

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #107 on: December 05, 2017, 10:58:24 AM »
Yeah, agreed. It used to fill up in minutes. It's also super inconvenient to volunteer. While yes, technically it's just a 3 hour commitment each day, you have to hike all the way over there, wait in a line, get an assignment for a time you might not want. Hike back to be early for your shift. Work your shift. Hike back to check out and get another assignment. It really does eat a lot of your day and prevents you from doing a lot of things you might want to do, depending how you do Con. I volunteer one shift every year b/c it's just something I like to do, but I wouldn't want to do it every day, for sure.

I didn't experience any of that.  I always got exactly the time I wanted for all my shifts.  I actually like volunteering.  It makes me feel like I'm part of something other than just a member of an audience.

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #108 on: December 05, 2017, 11:32:36 AM »
I guess everyone has a view on volunteering, i made sure it was like priority while i was there since it was my ticket to be inside and did all 4 days since had the days off by chance so no day wasted lol. i was able to do same job everyday by chance so not gotta be retrained and time so was easier to do what can around it and not be lost as to what time i was to check in and all. i think one of the days i was able to check out like mins early since they had alot help and at times just cruized around with a higher staff trying to find a post to help or relieve at time, so i dont think i had to stand at a post very long since time flew by and while working u wasnt worried about time just try to focus on what u doing and stay busy then get to roam around after get what u can or do what u can before the con closed for nite.

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #109 on: December 05, 2017, 01:14:09 PM »
Well considering I didn't think volunteering got me into PV night anyways, it's no loss for me. ;)

Seriously, didn't they say last year that volunteers only got into PV night if they paid for PV night?

Yes. That began with (at least) the 2016 show...but many people apparently didn't get the memo.
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #110 on: December 05, 2017, 01:52:26 PM »
Yes. That began with (at least) the 2016 show...but many people apparently didn't get the memo.

I was given the option to do preview nite as volunteer but skipped the option, they said none about having a badge for it though.

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #111 on: December 05, 2017, 03:18:16 PM »
I was given the option to do preview nite as volunteer but skipped the option, they said none about having a badge for it though.

This was on the first page of the volunteer acceptance packet, in bold. I am also pretty sure it was also mentioned with similar emphasis on the website then, although that's long gone.

Due to capacity limits at the San Diego Convention Center, Daily Volunteers
may not attend Preview Night unless they purchase an attendee badge that
includes Preview Night.

SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #112 on: December 05, 2017, 04:10:47 PM »
This was on the first page of the volunteer acceptance packet, in bold. I am also pretty sure it was also mentioned with similar emphasis on the website then, although that's long gone.

Ok, i see what u mean. and knowing it a short nite, not sure why they would need so many if any for a few hrs and save the help for the following few days of the con.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #113 on: December 05, 2017, 07:32:05 PM »

jumping in without reading everything... if you volunteer for a shift on pv day- you'll get a badge for one of the other days of your choice
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Jonathan

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 338
« Reply #114 on: December 13, 2017, 09:04:33 PM »
As Alyssa said, there is no option of actually getting into PN for volunteering during that day any more. That changed years ago, it used to be you had three options if you worked PN. The first two options were if you worked "Preview Day" before the even actually started. You could choose to go to PN, get another day free, or if you actually worked during PN, you'd get two days for free instead of one. This last option usually was working registration at Town & Country in the evening.

As someone who has been with SDCC for over well over a decade now, PN is still my favorite experience of the con. Yes it's still crazy, but you do have a little breathing room.

Offline dcuodust

• Hall H
  • To me, my board!
  • Liked: 405
« Reply #115 on: January 19, 2018, 07:36:26 PM »
Ugh, I totally forgot to log on during priority volunteer lol. I just wanted to volunteer one shift to get the tshirt.
What are you, Worf? Do you tremble and quake with fear at the approach of combat? Hoping to talk your way out of a fight like a Human? Or do you hear the cry of the warrior, calling you to battle, calling you to glory like a Klingon?
- Gowron, Chancellor of the Klingon High Council

Offline Jonathan

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #116 on: January 20, 2018, 01:18:37 AM »
Ugh, I totally forgot to log on during priority volunteer lol. I just wanted to volunteer one shift to get the tshirt.

At least with last year, you didn't miss out on much. It was the worst shirt I've gotten at SDCC, since I started volunteering. It was just so plain and boring I thought. Maybe this year's will be better.

Offline dcuodust

• Hall H
  • To me, my board!
  • Liked: 405
« Reply #117 on: January 20, 2018, 08:10:15 AM »
At least with last year, you didn't miss out on much. It was the worst shirt I've gotten at SDCC, since I started volunteering. It was just so plain and boring I thought. Maybe this year's will be better.
I volunteered last year. That's what I am worried about, that this year the shirt will be awesome lol.
What are you, Worf? Do you tremble and quake with fear at the approach of combat? Hoping to talk your way out of a fight like a Human? Or do you hear the cry of the warrior, calling you to battle, calling you to glory like a Klingon?
- Gowron, Chancellor of the Klingon High Council

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #118 on: January 20, 2018, 01:05:35 PM »
I got the shirt last year and wasnt fussy since was first time so like souvenior going to con and helping to go everyday. not sure how they decide the design but yea be cool if was more creative then before. i guess they had better volunteer shirts in the past but i dont know last year was first time lol. so guess gotta wait and see. saw the shirts for the con and thought they was creative but price a bit hi so maybe get one this year if want bad enough to spend so much for a shirt. wonder if they ever sold shirts cheaper so not have so much back stock kinda or do they just donate or whatever after the con? that would be cool if had any old ones to buy that never sold so u can enjoy and say u gone but not that year but have gone in past. saw a badge recent showed i had chance go a saturday back in early 2k when u had write ur name on sticker then they added it to a badge for u lol , those was the days before the event got crazy and hard to get badges.

Offline Jonathan

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #119 on: January 23, 2018, 06:40:43 PM »
I volunteered last year. That's what I am worried about, that this year the shirt will be awesome lol.

I got the shirt last year and wasnt fussy since was first time so like souvenior going to con and helping to go everyday. not sure how they decide the design but yea be cool if was more creative then before. i guess they had better volunteer shirts in the past but i dont know last year was first time lol. so guess gotta wait and see. saw the shirts for the con and thought they was creative but price a bit hi so maybe get one this year if want bad enough to spend so much for a shirt. wonder if they ever sold shirts cheaper so not have so much back stock kinda or do they just donate or whatever after the con? that would be cool if had any old ones to buy that never sold so u can enjoy and say u gone but not that year but have gone in past. saw a badge recent showed i had chance go a saturday back in early 2k when u had write ur name on sticker then they added it to a badge for u lol , those was the days before the event got crazy and hard to get badges.

I thought you two would like to see this. Though I'm sure any previous volunteer wouldn't mind.
I have more years worth of volunteer shirts, but since I moved, these are the only ones I have with me currently. The 2012 shirt is the only one I've actually opened and worn. It was the year I met my best friend at SDCC (we both happened to be volunteering at the same time/thing together and met there) Beyond that, the others are in order from 2013 to last year's 2017 shirt.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 08:48:31 PM by Jonathan »