Author Topic: Comic Con Fit Mystery Box challenge  (Read 9646 times)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
Re: Comic Con Fit Mystery Box challenge
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2018, 03:18:43 PM »
[member=5419]Aaron[/member] are you interested in broadening out your veggie challenge into some sort of a group effort like

the first week is b. sprouts- so we all have to cook a meal where sprouts are the center element?

[member=1617]Miss Kitty[/member] [member=7050]Xircuits[/member] ... sound interesting?
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Miss Kitty

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 738
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2018, 10:44:28 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
[member=5419]Aaron[/member] are you interested in broadening out your veggie challenge into some sort of a group effort like

the first week is b. sprouts- so we all have to cook a meal where sprouts are the center element?

[member=1617]Miss Kitty[/member] [member=7050]Xircuits[/member] ... sound interesting?

Sounds great and I'll help out!

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #32 on: Today at 02:24:10 AM »

Offline Xircuits

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 103
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2018, 06:31:17 AM »

This sounds great! I'm a carnivore that's trying to be more of an omnivore, so this will help get me motivated.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Handle for most social media & gaming accounts: @Xircuits

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2018, 09:16:11 AM »
This sounds great! I'm a carnivore that's trying to be more of an omnivore, so this will help get me motivated.

and **that's** exactly the idea [member=7050]Xircuits[/member] !  [member=5419]Aaron[/member] hasn't clued me into what or how he's doing the Feb challenge yet but *I think*

we're all going to try and come up with ideas for a veggie- and come up with a place to compare & put our recipes/ideas-  I've got to revisit my sprouts from last week- i definitely won the prize for 'what was i thinking...?!' last week
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline Aaron

• Exhibit Hall
  • Getting #ComicConFit for any con (and for life)!
    • Hall H Show Podcast
  • Liked: 45
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2018, 06:55:43 AM »
and **that's** exactly the idea [member=7050]Xircuits[/member] !  [member=5419]Aaron[/member] hasn't clued me into what or how he's doing the Feb challenge yet but *I think*

we're all going to try and come up with ideas for a veggie- and come up with a place to compare & put our recipes/ideas-  I've got to revisit my sprouts from last week- i definitely won the prize for 'what was i thinking...?!' last week
The original intent was to cook a dish that featured a veggie (your choice) at least once a week (doesn't have to be completly vegetarian) and then share a photo (or photos) and a brief list of ingredients on social media using the hashtag #FebVeggieChallenge.

Simple...and flexible enough so you could cook regionally, seasonally, ethnically...or whatever floats your boat !

Personally, I was going to do kale and brussels sprouts for week 1 and 2...since those were suggested here on the forum.

For week 3, I was going to do sweet potatoes in honor of Leonard. When I asked him wgat his fave veg was after the hangout, he said sweet potatoes...and I never really cook them...so I thought it would be fun to try.

For week 4, I decided I want to do eggplant...since this is another one I seldom cook.

However...if we make everyone cook the same veg each week, then I probably would take kale and brussels sprouts off and replace them with something else since we just did them.

If we go this route...what veg would you all like to cook for week 1 and 2?

Kitty Gunn recommended rainbow carrots and broccolini.

I would be down with broccoli and maybe corn.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 06:59:35 AM by Aaron »
Co-Host of the #HallHshow podcast. #ComicConFit motivator.

Personal:
Twitter/Instagram/Facebook: AaronNabus

Hall H:
Twitter/Instagram/Facebook: HallHdotcom

Comic Con Fit:
Twitter/Instagram/Facebook: ComicConFit

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2018, 10:59:39 AM »
What i hear folks saying is they'd like to try and cook the same thing so we can compare and expand our own 'recipe box'. Obviously- if someone doesn't want to do a veg like brussel Sprouts... they have the choice of doing another veg.

I'm going to be following along with whatever veg you decide to cook [member=5419]Aaron[/member] - I'd love to learn how to cook sprouts different ways--
and Kale... sigh, i will try kale too
then sweet potato (for [member=10]ukdeejay[/member]) the challenge is going to be not adding empty calories to this one!
etc all

I would encourage others to follow along too- unless of course you detest a veg- then do something different. /I think we're saying the same thing essentially aaron ;) /

the only suggestions i would make re veg choice is that the veg is available across the country, and relatively inexpensive. [member=1617]Miss Kitty[/member] I don't remember seeing rainbow carrots and broccolini in my local food store....
different ways of cooking broccoli tho...

Offline Xircuits

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2018, 08:51:05 AM »
Rainbow Carrots and Broccolini may be harder to locate. I haven't seen those in my local supermarket, but I probably could find it if I expanded my search area.

How about Asian vegetables? Like bok choy? I have a few Chinese supermarkets nearby.

Recently I've been binging on sugar snap peas. And the corner store in my neighborhood had artichokes on sale for the last 2 weeks.

We could turn this into a show and tell for at least 1 meal we put more of an effort into making instead of just a veggy challenge. Once a month show us your best well rounded meal.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2018, 06:18:59 AM »
Rainbow Carrots and Broccolini may be harder to locate. I haven't seen those in my local supermarket, but I probably could find it if I expanded my search area.

How about Asian vegetables? Like bok choy? I have a few Chinese supermarkets nearby.

Recently I've been binging on sugar snap peas. And the corner store in my neighborhood had artichokes on sale for the last 2 weeks.

We could turn this into a show and tell for at least 1 meal we put more of an effort into making instead of just a veggy challenge. Once a month show us your best well rounded meal.
That's an interesting idea. I like the idea of a group cooking show-with everyone participating, focusing on seasonal veg's.

speaking of asian stores, I recently got to visit a newly remodeled asian market... they had the names with english translations for the greens.... LOL I think i took pictures of them all so i can remember. I've spent ages in asian markets- stareing at greens trying to figure out which one's i liked/had before
so using asian veg's might be possible on my end ;)

I of course am turning ideas over in my mind for how the 'show & tell' could work... form, etc. But once a month sounds like a good time frame- I've had it in my mind to do a show of some kind around cooking. lets talk production [member=7050]Xircuits[/member] ?

Offline Aaron

• Exhibit Hall
    • Hall H Show Podcast
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2018, 08:19:21 AM »
I'd like some input on this list of veggies to cook for the #FebVeggieChallenge:

Week 1: Corn
Week 2: Baby Bok Choy
Week 3: Sweet Potato
Week 4: Egg Plant

I went walking by my local Ralphs...and saw all these vegetables there. Does this seem like a good variety of veggies to try?

Personal:

Hall H:

Comic Con Fit:

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2018, 08:25:52 AM »
I'd like some input on this list of veggies to cook for the #FebVeggieChallenge:

I went walking by my local Ralphs...and saw all these vegetables there. Does this seem like a good variety of veggies to try?

the results are in & the judges have voted
tune into todays show to see [member=1987]The Mighty Jerd[/member] hand out prizes...

corn & sweet potatos are a bit startchy

arent you doing sweet potatos in Jan? for leonard?

the results are in, & the judges have voted
tune into todays show to hear the results (I'll post them here later too)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 08:29:43 AM by alyssa »

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
Comic Con Fit Mystery Box challenge
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2018, 09:03:29 AM »
todays result show

here's the prizes;

« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 09:05:53 AM by alyssa »

Offline Xircuits

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2018, 09:28:32 AM »
That's an interesting idea. I like the idea of a group cooking show-with everyone participating, focusing on seasonal veg's.

speaking of asian stores, I recently got to visit a newly remodeled asian market... they had the names with english translations for the greens.... LOL I think i took pictures of them all so i can remember. I've spent ages in asian markets- stareing at greens trying to figure out which one's i liked/had before
so using asian veg's might be possible on my end ;)

I of course am turning ideas over in my mind for how the 'show & tell' could work... form, etc. But once a month sounds like a good time frame- I've had it in my mind to do a show of some kind around cooking. lets talk production [member=7050]Xircuits[/member] ?

A cooking show sounds fun! With time being a factor, if people want to submit short videos, like something under 3-5 minutes can be doable. It'll help keep the recaps to a watchable time with some commentary during the video and a short bit afterwards. I'm not very good at video editing --in fact, I'm only recently thinking of buying a macbook just so I can teach myself how to edit videos and get onto the YouTube scene. Or people can submit pictures of their process and the finished product and we'll do a slideshow. Then the hosts can all drool over the food. And of course, people can post the videos to YouTube, Vimeo, and link it here in a post, or submit pictures here in their posts. This way everything is in one place and if others see a recipe they like, they can contact the poster and try it themselves.

I say once a month because I want to give people ample enough time to do this. Every week can be tough if people have tight work schedules and whatnot. I know for a fact that the first 10 days of the month for me, I certainly won't be able to cook anything because of the overtime I put into at the office.  This can help get the max number of people to join and work around their schedules within the month.

Offline Xircuits

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2018, 09:33:49 AM »

Can you use canned corn and fresh corn? I only ask because being in the Northeast, fresh corn on the cob is a seasonable vegetable. Obviously, I will do my best to find fresh corn on the cob, but if I can't, it's nice to have options. The other vegetables look great!  :)

I think we should allow participants to choose from 1 of the weeks to as many as all 4 weeks due to schedules and time constraints etc? Great lineup!

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2018, 11:06:10 AM »

To those watching the hangout

Offline Aaron

• Exhibit Hall
    • Hall H Show Podcast
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2018, 11:44:18 AM »
Canned, fresh, dried...or frozen will work!

And any type of corn too.

Can you use canned corn and fresh corn? I only ask because being in the Northeast, fresh corn on the cob is a seasonable vegetable. Obviously, I will do my best to find fresh corn on the cob, but if I can't, it's nice to have options. The other vegetables look great!  :)

I think we should allow participants to choose from 1 of the weeks to as many as all 4 weeks due to schedules and time constraints etc? Great lineup!

Personal:

Hall H:

Comic Con Fit: