Author Topic: WonderCon 2014 News  (Read 85860 times)

Yzrfan

Re: WonderCon 2014 News
« Reply #510 on: April 21, 2014, 12:35:48 PM »
How's everyone's con hangover today?

Stay golden Ponyboy.

Offline Jim Watari

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Twitter @jwatari
  • Liked: 584
« Reply #511 on: April 21, 2014, 01:01:44 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Stay golden Ponyboy.

Recovering , I get to rest at work  ::)
The more things change, the more they stay the same

Hoban 'Wash' Washburn: It's okay, I'm a leaf on the wind!
Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: What does that mean?

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #512 on: Today at 04:22:42 PM »

Yzrfan

« Reply #512 on: April 21, 2014, 01:04:17 PM »
Lucky you jim

Stay golden Ponyboy.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #513 on: April 21, 2014, 03:36:15 PM »
Wondercon Friday Random Observations (some good, some bad):

I got in the badge line once it died down at 11:45 and they timed the badge system perfectly where I strolled onto the floor right at noon.

My cell phone went from 75% battery to 5% battery without me even touching it when everyone started to show up at 11 am.

They need to take a cue from San Diego and crank the air conditioning to account for all the body heat when everyone shows up.  Normally, it is just me that is overheated, but a lot of people were complaining about it.

It was next to impossible to explore parts of the floor in any efficient way because of walkway artery clogging.  Two things going on here:  There appears to be a standard width for secondary show walkways which is too narrow.  Second, people need to be aware that they are blocking traffic--this is an etiquette thing that I might start another thread on.

More comic book booths.  There were considerably less than when the show moved to Anaheim 3 years ago.

Farmer-tan Bane coplay made me giggle.

Overall, I had a good full day and got a lot of comics.  The above are more just observations than anything else.

Offline Jim Watari

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Twitter @jwatari
  • Liked: 584
« Reply #514 on: April 21, 2014, 03:44:04 PM »
Wondercon Friday Random Observations (some good, some bad):

I got in the badge line once it died down at 11:45 and they timed the badge system perfectly where I strolled onto the floor right at noon.

My cell phone went from 75% battery to 5% battery without me even touching it when everyone started to show up at 11 am.

They need to take a cue from San Diego and crank the air conditioning to account for all the body heat when everyone shows up.  Normally, it is just me that is overheated, but a lot of people were complaining about it.

It was next to impossible to explore parts of the floor in any efficient way because of walkway artery clogging.  Two things going on here:  There appears to be a standard width for secondary show walkways which is too narrow.  Second, people need to be aware that they are blocking traffic--this is an etiquette thing that I might start another thread on.

More comic book booths.  There were considerably less than when the show moved to Anaheim 3 years ago.

Farmer-tan Bane coplay made me giggle.

Overall, I had a good full day and got a lot of comics.  The above are more just observations than anything else.

I had to turn of Blue Tooth and WiFi because they were draining my battery, that's probably what happen to your phone. When the signal is bad or weak your phone keeps searching for a connection. If you have AT&T it was probably trying to connect with the AT&T WiFi hotspot location at both the convention center and the Hilton hotel
The more things change, the more they stay the same

Hoban 'Wash' Washburn: It's okay, I'm a leaf on the wind!
Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: What does that mean?

Offline jujubaSD

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 67
« Reply #515 on: April 21, 2014, 05:18:20 PM »

Stay golden Ponyboy.

I was fighting not to fall asleep during work today. I'm a teacher...so good thing I walk around most of the time helping students. But during my prep hour, I just wanted to nap. Now that I'm home, I'm gonna catch up on last Friday's Hannibal episode and pass out for a few hours :D

Yzrfan

« Reply #516 on: April 21, 2014, 05:37:41 PM »
You're not alone. Everyone is tired today.

Stay golden Ponyboy.

Offline Andrew Costa Mesa

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 829
« Reply #517 on: April 22, 2014, 09:53:42 PM »
I would like to add that for this year's WonderCon, I figured out how to use the bus system with O.C. Transit (thanks Zero!).  This is the first time I took the bus since relocating to Orange County four years ago.  It certainly beat paying the expensive $12 fee for parking and of course dealing with the possibility the lot/garage may be filled up and you have to look elsewhere (possibly a more expensive parking option).
WizardWorld Comic Con Anaheim 2011
WonderCon 2013-2018 & 2023-2024
NYCC 2014-2017 & 2022-2023
SDCC 2011 (Saturday only), 2012, 2013 (Thursday, Saturday & Sunday only), 2014-2019, 2022 & 2023 (Fri-Sun only), 2024
D23 Expo 2017
OZ Comic Con Sydney (Australia) 2016
WizardWorld Los Angeles 2019

Offline dolphina

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Live Long and Prosper
  • Liked: 1399
« Reply #518 on: April 22, 2014, 10:41:21 PM »
I was fighting not to fall asleep during work today. I'm a teacher...so good thing I walk around most of the time helping students. But during my prep hour, I just wanted to nap. Now that I'm home, I'm gonna catch up on last Friday's Hannibal episode and pass out for a few hours :D
I hear ya. I was so tired yesterday, but it made me happy knowing I had requested the Monday following ComicCon off and that I had booked Sunday night in San Diego so I wouldn't be driving home tired.
Even though I had a nice quiet room and a nice comfy bed I was still waking up at 0530 because I was excited for WonderCon, I don't even get up that early for work. Go figure.
A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting”

Wondercon, SDCC, Comikazi, Blizzcon, SWCA, D23

Offline BadWolf

• Volunteer HQ
  • It's all the same to the many faced god.
  • Liked: 691
« Reply #519 on: April 23, 2014, 07:49:56 AM »
I was delightfully surprised by how many people brought their SDCC 2013 swag bags to Wonder Con.

Yzrfan

« Reply #520 on: April 23, 2014, 08:21:38 AM »
But then you can get more bags at We Love Fine

Stay golden Ponyboy.

Offline karatekid

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 149
« Reply #521 on: April 24, 2014, 01:09:01 PM »

Stay golden Ponyboy.

Well it's Thursday and I'm still hung over or I think I just miss it! I did have to leave WC early Saturday after the Fox panel and catch a flight out of Long Beach since I promised my little daughter, who came with me, we'd be back home to celebrate Easter with mom and siblings so maybe I'm just really sad and bummed I didn't get to go Sunday too! The good news is, I work in Education and on a Year Round Calendar so I have this week off so I can slowly recover and get my fix on here.
"Wax On, Wax Off"

Yzrfan

« Reply #522 on: April 24, 2014, 02:25:21 PM »
This year's WC was Kind of like a STD.....was all happy and  giddy during the con....been sick with a head cold/sore throat since Tuesday. I only made out with one Walker, but she looked clean.

Stay golden Ponyboy.

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #523 on: April 30, 2014, 09:17:27 AM »
WonderCon Anaheim 2014 Masquerade Photo Gallery posted:

'Twas fun, but Ashley seemed way out of her depth as MC - flubbing names of people and costumes left and right - past MC Phil Foglio (and Robert Englund back in the day at SDCC) = greatly missed by this attendee  ;)