Author Topic: 2017 SDCC Funko Exclusives  (Read 39624 times)

Offline Louie_rob_m

• Hall H
  • Liked: 364
Re: 2017 SDCC Funko Exclusives
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2017, 02:21:03 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I will continue to maintain we do not want to encourage things going to an online lottery.  It seems to me we just need to encourage them to do better crowd control.
I'm with u! Even with online lottery, there is still a specific time where a herd of bodies is circling that little corner and security is mishandling the situation.

If they want to randomize something, randomize the ability to buy LEs at the booth.  Now that would change the game.

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
  • Liked: 443
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2017, 08:42:16 AM »
I will continue to maintain we do not want to encourage things going to an online lottery.  It seems to me we just need to encourage them to do better crowd control.

You may not want to...but don't lump me in with your WE!
I WOULD LOVE for this to change to an online lottery, just like I love the booths that do online presales.  The more stuff I know up front the better I can plan my day and not waste time in a line for chance.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 05:12:00 PM »

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2003
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2017, 11:03:20 AM »
A combo, online lottery for morning and onsite (camp out) for afternoons?  Prefer any online lottery should be for Wed -Friday only and only the first half of the day, (unless Funko has equal inventory per day like Lego). 

I just lost the SW Funko lottery and that was only for slots in the early part of the day (1015am-2pm), so still a "walk up chance" for items winners failed to buy/show up.

Offline the collector

• Sails Pavilion
  • Mint Condition
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2017, 03:45:49 AM »
Just to echo the others.. my wife and I also camped out for Funko.  Like others, we also lined up sometime around 10pm.  We made our attempt Wednesday night.  Early Thursday morning the line began to move.  We were led inside.  Then, through Sails Pavilion.  Then, back outside and down the concrete steps to the marina.  At the marina were hundreds of people who had not camped out.  They had fresh Starbucks.  They had just walked around the convention center and taken the front of the line.  Everyone that had camped out was turned away because all slots were already taken by well rested and showered cheaters.  It made no sense.  We imagined the front of the line would be inside.  Inside.  A place you could only reach by lining up.  First come, first served (wristband attempt).  When we first got inside we were excited.  We thought we had reached a 'quarantined' place. Inside.  Why go back out?  When we were led back outside it was clear, they'd thrown away control and order.  Illogical. They should use the long hallways inside for the line.

Offline CaseyJones14

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 146
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2017, 09:50:06 AM »
Thursday was a giant mess for the line, but it seemed like they fixed all the problems for the rest of the weekend. The online lotteries for ECCC and SWC seemed like giant jokes (people were selling tickets on eBay) so if SDCC does end up being an online lottery I really really hope they tie your entry to your memberid account somehow. I'm not sure CCI would be willing to do something like that though so who knows. I'm hoping they keep the system the same as last year, but just make sure security doesn't mess things up this go round!
Casey Jones you better, watch your speed
Trouble ahead, trouble behind
And you know that notion just crossed my mind

Offline TheNeck

• Hall H
  • Liked: 367
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2017, 10:11:52 AM »
Thursday was a giant mess for the line, but it seemed like they fixed all the problems for the rest of the weekend. The online lotteries for ECCC and SWC seemed like giant jokes (people were selling tickets on eBay) so if SDCC does end up being an online lottery I really really hope they tie your entry to your memberid account somehow. I'm not sure CCI would be willing to do something like that though so who knows. I'm hoping they keep the system the same as last year, but just make sure security doesn't mess things up this go round!
really thursday line was a mess? i was in the front of the funko line thursday so i must have gotten lucky and missed all the commotion. what happened exactly?
SDCC 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
SDCC Volunteer 2022, 2023
Fundays 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
Wondercon 2015, 2018

Offline CaseyJones14

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 146
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2017, 10:32:01 AM »
really thursday line was a mess? i was in the front of the funko line thursday so i must have gotten lucky and missed all the commotion. what happened exactly?

The line got so long that it wrapped around out back to the pier and random people just started jumping in line  >:(
Casey Jones you better, watch your speed
Trouble ahead, trouble behind
And you know that notion just crossed my mind

Offline TheNeck

• Hall H
  • Liked: 367
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2017, 10:36:34 AM »
The line got so long that it wrapped around out back to the pier and random people just started jumping in line  >:(
that sucks
SDCC 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
SDCC Volunteer 2022, 2023
Fundays 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
Wondercon 2015, 2018

Offline sinester_1

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2017, 09:18:58 PM »
i was there in line for that total mess. Security there was a complete failure. they should never have allowed that line up in the back of the pier merge with the tickets handouts for hasbro, funko, and all the rest. online lotto is a way to go but it isn't necessary if they would just have better people running the security portion in the mezzanine. For god sakes i was practically in the front of the line and then I was a thousand people back. Total malarkey. they could save money if they just trained the staff better. It was a total breakdown in communication. those stairs going down to the pier should have been sealed.

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2003
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2017, 06:35:44 PM »
Same question, with this month's Funko answer

Q: Will SDCC have an online lottery system like SW celebration and ECCC? #AskFunko

A:  Not sure yet. It depends on if they have that tech ready for such a thing this year.

Offline conventiongeek

• Hall H
  • Liked: 270
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2017, 12:29:14 AM »
Oh no....   No more lotteries.

Everyone who thinks the lottery is a good idea, probably got lucky at NYCC, ECCC or SWC and won themselves a lottery ticket. Try being someone who did not, or when you do not win the SDCC lottery because of the 130,000 people with 500 emails each entering giving you a 1 in 65,000,000 chance of winning... then tell us if you want a lottery. I lost the lottery for NYCC and yes there are good and bad points, however I still feel the old school ways of "due diligence" is the way to go. Now, the on-site lottery with wrist bands they had last year worked great. Not perfect, but great compared to years past when 2000 people all show up at the booth at the same time and they randomly pick you out of a crowd... Camping out to assure yourself an early chance at a wristband (where about 80% of the people won a time slot) is the most fair way to do it.  if you are willing to put in the time, then you should be rewarded.  I don't want to lost my spot because some random person in Nebraska decided to enter the lottery, but isn't even sure they can make it to San Diego. I do not want to fight the general pop for left overs at 4pm... I'll put in the work and hope to get a wristband. Don't blame the process on what @NDCS stated as lack of proper help/security/line management.  That is not Funko's responsibility.

We must have missed that hoopla as well.  We had someone in line much earlier. We got in Thursday morning (no thanks to the security line control person who single handedly created a bottleneck disaster at the sails pavilion doors as he held the people and allowed thousands to fill in next to and in front of us as they pushed and shoved everyone. However, we managed through it and still was able to reach the Funko line before it got to the stairs.

Trust me... if they went to an online lottery for SDCC, then the number of losing lottery people would greatly out number the winners. If anything, I wouldn't be completely against a split of some kind.  Maybe online winners for the afternoon time slots... the 2 or 3 early spots for onsite people only, wrist banded in Sails in the morning.   

Offline ratcub

• Supporter
  • Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2017, 07:14:17 AM »
They held an online Funko lottery at ECCC this year, and I believe for Star Wars Celebration as well. It was very smooth, and all buying slots were allocated before the con even began. no line rushes and no hassles. I am hoping that they do that at SDCC this year as well.

At Star Wars Celebration, Funko, and Lego both had online lotteries.  I think some people enter the loto just to see is they are picked, even if they are not going to the convention. Lotos were open to anyone.
  Funko had time slots each day to purchase products, and held exclusives to be on hand each morning. Funco then opened the booth to the general public sales at 2:00pm. Any remaining product was available for sale, either exclusives of egualr merchandise.
  Lego had "loto" product each day, then opened up any remaining exclusive to general public at 4:00pm, people lined up at 10:00am when doors opened with hopes of snagging a Lego exclusive...

Offline highgiant

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 83
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2017, 09:46:56 AM »
Camping out to assure yourself an early chance at a wristband (where about 80% of the people won a time slot) is the most fair way to do it.

It's not really the fairest method though, it just happens to be a method that suits you so you're happy to keep with it.

The reality is no matter what method they go with some people are going to be put out.

My own preference would be for a lottery but linking the lottery to badges.

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2017, 09:58:28 AM »
Yeah, needing the ability to camp overnight in a line for a shot is certainly not even close to fair. It's the furthest thing from fair that I can really imagine. Has it worked for me b/c I have a group of friends who work together and the ability to camp out, yes, but that doesn't make it fair. And the insane hysteria it creates in Sails when they let the horde in is just plain unsafe. If they don't move to online lottery, they need to maintain an orderly, single file line all the way into the Sails and through to each individual line as well.
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline squidward

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 59
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2017, 08:41:25 PM »
My own preference would be for a lottery but linking the lottery to badges.
This part is key. It verifies that the only people who can submit an entry are valid badge holders. And of course, one entry per badge.
Solves several risks of abuse.

I personal support the lottery because I'd rather know whether I'm getting in the booth or not and be able to plan my day.