Author Topic: In regard to recent US / International security issues  (Read 9207 times)

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
Re: In regard to recent US / International security issues
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2017, 08:41:31 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Went to a convention this weekend (Wizard World Philadelphia) and I guess the events in Phoenix and the rest of the world had no impact at all on the securty they had. In fact i would say they basically had very little security in regards to what they let in and checking bags and stuff like that. They had security walking the floor but nothing really as far as what could be brought in. In the morning they did have everyone go through metal detectors and they said they were checking bags but i had 2 bags and a box and they didn't open up either bag and only asked me what was in the box but never verified what i told them was actually in the box. Then in the afternoon i went to put stuff in my car and when i came back they were just letting everyone walk in without going through any security at all. It didn't bother me at all but i just thought it was strange because I thought security was going to be tight and be annoying but it was the exact opposite.

I'm glad they didn't go overboard with bans and pat downs and such, but there really should be a minimum level of checks involved.  A Happy Medium.  Unfortunately it is necessary for the world we live in today.

Offline omraged9

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 242
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2017, 04:57:42 AM »
I went to the London Heroes and Villains convention on May 27-28th and liked the security procedures they had there. Some of their policies were a little too strict (no open containers of liquids, like airport security rules) but otherwise I felt pretty safe. I thought it was interesting they didn't have metal detectors though, just security guards personally checking your bags-- though they didn't bother patting people down? Strange. But I guess in the UK they're not afraid of their terrorists having guns.

I thought about SDCC using metal detectors but boy that would really create huge long lines. The only security detail I can think of that that wouldn't create longer lines is to just add more security guards stationed every few yards in each building. Not the type of guards who care more about checking badges and IDs but ones that specifically watch the attendees and crowds to watch for anything suspicious. And I agree about us attendees being vigilant too. Like if you notice a fellow attendee is carrying real guns, then yeah I would report that guy.

Seeing how hard it is to get badges, I actually have minimal fear of anything happening inside the convention walls. I think it's being in a crowd outside that may be more risky.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #32 on: Today at 03:39:45 AM »

Offline Andrew Costa Mesa

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 830
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2017, 07:04:48 PM »
Someone just posted on a SDCC Facebook group that I belong to that he learned from "reliable sources" that SDCC will ban prop weapons, similar to what Phoenix Comicon did.  I personally don't believe in rumors or second hand news.  I'll believe it only after CC sends me an E-mail saying so or if they post it on the Toucan Blog.  But it wouldn't surprise me given the incident in Phoenix and what's been going on in London.
WizardWorld Comic Con Anaheim 2011
WonderCon 2013-2018 & 2023-2024
NYCC 2014-2017 & 2022-2023
SDCC 2011 (Saturday only), 2012, 2013 (Thursday, Saturday & Sunday only), 2014-2019, 2022 & 2023 (Fri-Sun only), 2024
D23 Expo 2017
OZ Comic Con Sydney (Australia) 2016
WizardWorld Los Angeles 2019

Offline iogpsych

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2017, 02:55:22 PM »
Someone just posted on a SDCC Facebook group that I belong to that he learned from "reliable sources" that SDCC will ban prop weapons, similar to what Phoenix Comicon did.  I personally don't believe in rumors or second hand news.  I'll believe it only after CC sends me an E-mail saying so or if they post it on the Toucan Blog.  But it wouldn't surprise me given the incident in Phoenix and what's been going on in London.
This is exactly why I planned on forgoing the prop weapon for my cosplay-hope I don't get crap for it not being exactly right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2017, 08:33:47 PM »

If this happens there will be an unbelievable amount of backlash.  I'm in favor of what Phoenix Comic Con did because they were in a tight spot and only had hours to react.  SDCC had a couple of months to figure something out outside of an outright ban.  I can think of half a dozen options (that may or may not work, but would get a good discussion at least!) besides an outright ban.

Personally I'm not a cosplayer and I AM scared this year, so I won't necessarily be kicking up a fit, but I know how people are and I understand their concerns.  I'm worried for FoCC if they do this.

Offline MickeyJack

• Supporter
  • Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 591
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2017, 08:53:08 PM »
If this happens there will be an unbelievable amount of backlash.  I'm in favor of what Phoenix Comic Con did because they were in a tight spot and only had hours to react.  SDCC had a couple of months to figure something out outside of an outright ban.  I can think of half a dozen options (that may or may not work, but would get a good discussion at least!) besides an outright ban.

Personally I'm not a cosplayer and I AM scared this year, so I won't necessarily be kicking up a fit, but I know how people are and I understand their concerns.  I'm worried for FoCC if they do this.
Why are you worried about FOCC?

Offline LibertyRoxx

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 131
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2017, 08:08:19 AM »
I've had friends and family say they were worried about SDCC becoming a target. My personal view is this;

Anything can happen to you anytime, any day, anywhere. Terrorism is one more thing to add to that list.

Personally, I refuse to
A) allow that threat to intimidate me
B) allow it to change one thing about how I live my life

The cowards that engage in these activities want both of those things. They want you to be intimidated. They want you to live in fear. They want your life to be disrupted.

That doesn't mean I'm going to be blind or reckless. You should always be aware of your surroundings and what's happening in them regardless.

Aside from that though, just going to do my thing and enjoy the hell out of SDCC like I do every year. Hope everyone else can do the same. :)
SDCC- 2011-2019, 2022; DCC- 2014, 2017, 2022; SWC- 1999, 2017, 2022; Dragon Con- 2014; Gallifrey One- 2015, 2018-2019, 2022-2023; NYCC- 2010-2019, 2021-2022; ECCC- 2018-2019, 2021-2022

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2017, 08:11:28 AM »
I've had friends and family say they were worried about SDCC becoming a target. My personal view is this;

Anything can happen to you anytime, any day, anywhere. Terrorism is one more thing to add to that list.

Personally, I refuse to

The cowards that engage in these activities want both of those things. They want you to be intimidated. They want you to live in fear. They want your life to be disrupted.

That doesn't mean I'm going to be blind or reckless. You should always be aware of your surroundings and what's happening in them regardless.

Aside from that though, just going to do my thing and enjoy the hell out of SDCC like I do every year. Hope everyone else can do the same. :)

Agree completely!!

Offline Miclpea

• Hall H
  • Liked: 350
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2017, 08:19:43 AM »

Personally, I refuse to

Hear, hear!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline zuko3984

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 110
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2017, 09:07:25 AM »
I went to You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login this past weekend and they were not allowing Light Sabres in. They had Ray Park as a guest and some people were bringing Light Sabres to get signed by him and they weren't being allowed to bring them in. I thought it was totally ridiculous. I just don't understand how banning things like light sabres makes anything any safer. They also had bag checks but again they barely looked in the bags and i could have easily gotten anything in. I also had a large poster tube which they never looked in I could have had anything in it.
You can not really secure large open event like comic cons. These bans do absolutely nothing to increase safety and the only thing they do is take away from the enjoyment of the event.

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2017, 08:16:44 AM »
Why are you worried about FOCC?

Sorry I meant CCI.

Offline MickeyJack

• Supporter
  • Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 591
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2017, 08:39:40 AM »

Sorry I meant CCI.

No worries.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2017, 12:43:03 PM »

#SDCC2017: in light of recent international events - and the recent ramping up of cosplay weapons policy at Phoenix Comic-Con - AEISD reached out to Comic-Con International for a statement that we hope will allay some fears and concerns of attendees to this year's convention.

CCI have taken the time to respond to us with this statement which, whilst not detailing any changes or improvements to last years raised security measures, does let us now that they remain in contact with the relevant bodies in San Diego.

Our thanks to CCI for the statement, and to Mayor Kevin Falconer and the San Diego Police Department for their continued efforts on keeping us safe, in and around San Diego Convention Center.

Basically,  "we acknowledge this happened and will do our best to not let it happen in San Diego but are not announcing any changes to past policy or any new policy/rules at this time."  Gotcha

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2017, 12:48:33 PM »
Thanks Lenny. I was about to come over here to post this, but it's perfect you did since you're the one that sent the email  :P

I've been attending SDCC since 2011, have been dealing with terrorism pretty much my whole life (granted, concerns spiked after 2001), and yet this is the first time I've actually been nervous about attending a convention.  I don't know why now of all times I feel nervous.  I'm glad they are taking precautions though.

I've been attending SDCC since 2000 and there have not been any security issues ever AFAIK in those years.  Security have been annoying at times, but I've NEVER felt like any attendee has ever been even remotely in danger (well...maybe my glasses in the Dethklok mosh pit but that's my own fault  :P ).  I feel like generally CCI does an incredible job with their logistics and security given the depth of their operation, and I don't have any reason at all to feel like anything has changed just because Phoenix had a security breakdown.  I have no idea what Phoenix's security policy was compared with CCI but CCI does a great job consistently.  Heck, I was in Hall H the Saturday someone got stabbed in the eye (before the COWBOYS VS ALIENS panel IIRC): close enough to watch it unfold.  AFAIK that is the only incident of any sort of violence that's happened inside CCI's world (not gaslamp, not at an offsite event, but actually in an area controlled by CCI) and that obviously was not at all a reflection of security and 100% about an attendee going a little crazy.
Trust CCI!

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2017, 12:51:17 PM »
it's a little early to iron out the specifics like mettle detectors etc. but what is obvious is that regardless of what cci does to protect the convention center - there are plenty of other targets in the gaslamp

Man, I wish mettle detectors existed: "you have strong mettle, and deserve an award for your perseverance and resilience!"

*my apologizes: english minor creeping in  :P :P