Author Topic: Newbie FAQs/Discussion for SDCC Badge Buying  (Read 51563 times)

Offline Ginas_place

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
Re: Newbie FAQs/Discussion for SDCC Badge Buying
« Reply #75 on: August 27, 2017, 07:35:15 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
My first year (2015) I got in by myself during open reg.  I didn't know anything about this forum or buying groups or even how difficult it was supposed to be.  I guess ignorance is bliss.  Second year (2016) by myself again during pre-reg (still ignorant).  Nothing during pre-reg for 2017 (devastated).  Then I joined a buying group on this forum, and I was the one picked to buy badges during open registration.  I also got in as a volunteer this year.  I definitely want to be in a buying group for next year.

Wow you were lucky!  I tried and failed the last three years.  I found out about buying groups last year and still my small group did not get in.  I am hoping to join a buying group this year. Fingers are crossed!

Offline Emerald_Mom

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 234
« Reply #76 on: August 27, 2017, 08:52:48 AM »
My daughter and I knew it was difficult to get passes too.... but I was lucky enough to get in and get 4 days for us the 1st year we tried. Being the compulsive organizer that I am... did some research and found FoCC....and have been lucky enough (due to the buying group) to have gotten tickets for the past couple of years. This is an amazing group of people!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 06:09:21 PM by Emerald_Mom »
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”
― Dr. Seuss

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #77 on: Today at 05:19:09 AM »

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #77 on: August 27, 2017, 01:16:55 PM »
I learned to have a backup always, try for reg badge and volunteer. so u can use reg badge and volunteer days u not got and stil get in for other days depends how many days u wanna go or can go for the days it running.

Offline laomatt

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #78 on: September 03, 2017, 10:10:05 AM »
Hey guys for couple a few weeks I've been developing an independent app to help people create an organize buying groups for next years tickets,  it's still in the stress test phase, but I can use people using the app here You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login and letting me know what works (and what doesn't), what could be better, etc.  Keep in mind:  I only have this in hobby mode for now, so no more than 7 people can be on at one time, so if you can't get in try again later, also this is the stress test phase, so none of the groups and data here will be here post October 1st, i'm going to reset can let people make their groups and memberships again, if all goes well I might redeploy to its own server, or even upgrade my heroku server to production mode. I'm working on getting comic con to give me access to their API, but that will probably not happen in all honesty.

Also if there are any rails devs out there that might want to volunteer time to help me out with features and such, I would be more than happy to work and collab with you guys.  It's not the prettiest code in the world (I only used a few controllers) but I made this pretty quickly.

Offline Undead Stephanie

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 30
« Reply #79 on: September 05, 2017, 02:26:32 PM »
So great to see everyone on here planning so early! Good luck to all.

Offline Tenraii

• Sails Pavilion
    • Tenraiis Cosplays
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #80 on: September 12, 2017, 07:12:23 AM »
Hey guys for couple a few weeks I've been developing an independent app to help people create an organize buying groups for next years tickets,  it's still in the stress test phase, but I can use people using the app here You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login and letting me know what works (and what doesn't), what could be better, etc.  Keep in mind:  I only have this in hobby mode for now, so no more than 7 people can be on at one time, so if you can't get in try again later, also this is the stress test phase, so none of the groups and data here will be here post October 1st, i'm going to reset can let people make their groups and memberships again, if all goes well I might redeploy to its own server, or even upgrade my heroku server to production mode. I'm working on getting comic con to give me access to their API, but that will probably not happen in all honesty.

Also if there are any rails devs out there that might want to volunteer time to help me out with features and such, I would be more than happy to work and collab with you guys.  It's not the prettiest code in the world (I only used a few controllers) but I made this pretty quickly.

unfortunately not working yet . It says " If you are the application owner check the logs for more information."
Facebook: Tenraiis
Deviantart: Tenraii

Offline Darklind

• Sails Pavilion
Returning badge buying for newcomers
« Reply #81 on: October 08, 2017, 10:32:35 AM »
I was at SDCC '17 and plan to go again in 2018. When I purchase that badge it will be during returning registration. But I want to bring a bunch of people with me. I know they need their own member IDs and that I can't get badges for them during returning reg since they don't/wont qualify. Here's the question: Can I use the same ID to purchase my ticket during returning reg, and those of my friends during open reg (assuming I have their member id's)?

tldr; can i use the same account twice , once for returning, once for newcomers?

Offline Loliiz

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 44
Re: Returning badge buying for newcomers
« Reply #82 on: October 08, 2017, 10:57:38 AM »
Yes, as long as you haven't buy the 4 days and preview night, you can participate in open registration too

Enviado desde mi XT1563 mediante Tapatalk

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #83 on: October 08, 2017, 04:55:46 PM »
Yes.  If you have whatever day sells out first (usually Preview Night) then your Member ID isn't eligible to try again. 

So if you get 4 Day no PN you can participate in Open Reg.

If you get PN, Thu/Fri/Sat you can NOT participate (because you got the the first badge to sell out).

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #84 on: October 08, 2017, 06:05:55 PM »
Yes.  If you have whatever day sells out first (usually Preview Night) then your Member ID isn't eligible to try again. 

So if you get 4 Day no PN you can participate in Open Reg.

If you get PN, Thu/Fri/Sat you can NOT participate (because you got the the first badge to sell out).

From open registration earlier this year (Toucan 4/4/17, bold = mine):

Q: How do I know if I am eligible for Comic-Con 2017 Open Registration?

A: Open Registration is open to anyone who has not purchased or registered for the Comic-Con 2017 Preview Night option. You must have a valid and confirmed Comic-Con Member ID account, created prior to 6:30 PM Pacific Daylight Time (PDT) on March 24, 2017, to participate.

Offline Darklind

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #85 on: October 09, 2017, 01:22:48 PM »
Thanks all. Much appreciated.

Offline ZombieCats212

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #86 on: October 11, 2017, 02:04:47 PM »
Hey everyone newbie here been to other conventions just never SDCC. Decided I wanted to try this year. I'm really glad I found this forum. It's been really helpful so far!

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #87 on: October 11, 2017, 06:02:22 PM »
Hey everyone newbie here been to other conventions just never SDCC. Decided I wanted to try this year. I'm really glad I found this forum. It's been really helpful so far!

Glad we can help! If you have any questions, please feel free to ask!

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #88 on: October 12, 2017, 11:37:40 AM »
Hello friends.  I wrote up a You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login that some people in this thread might be interested in.  I wrote it up because I had many friends express interest in coming to the con in 2018 and I was repeating myself a lot.  It felt helpful to put all the information I was repeating all in one place for my friends and hey, maybe someone here can benefit from it as well :)

Edit: I put in a special part about y'all:

Get active in Comic-Con communities before the sale!  My go-to community is Friends of Comic-Con.  They’ve become family to me and seeing them every year has become more important than seeing any panel.  I’ve legitimately skipped events to attend meet ups and say hello.  Find your community and get social.  It’ll not only enhance your SDCC experience, but give you a group of knowledgeable people that can help you understand any changes that happen during registration.  We may be old timers, but we love newbies.  We’re happy to help you get to the convention in any way we can.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 11:39:43 AM by Angel_ »

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #89 on: October 12, 2017, 01:23:51 PM »
I can see how comic con can be like a reunion event even if u cant get in, cause can always try and meet at certain location or place and hang out for eats or whatever. so this once a year event helps alot besides all the bs we read about that some how stuff cant control ruins for the rest sometimes.