Author Topic: Justice League ***Spoilers***  (Read 2648 times)

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
Justice League ***Spoilers***
« on: October 27, 2017, 09:29:51 AM »
I'm a Marvel guy so I have having issues coming up with a funny JL tagline for spoilers.   :)

Offline Angology

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
Re: Justice League ***Spoilers***
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 06:52:25 PM »
We enjoyed it! It was a pleasant surprise. Of course, my expectations were pretty low. I like that there was more humor.
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

In case you are wondering-there are two after credit scenes, so stick around. It's probably common knowledge (I have been pretty busy at work, so I am a little out of the loop), but just in case.
Ang

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 08:18:25 AM »

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 10:47:43 AM »
I wanted to love it but I couldn't, which is odd I love a lot of bad stuff.   It's just a small step up from Batman vs Superman.   They were trying to do to much with the film and failed to give you the connection to the characters you really need.   It was too much look at me save the world. 

I didn't mind Ben Affleck as Batman in the last on but this one officially put me on the side of horrible Batman.   
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline Mario Wario

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
  • Crazy-Town Banana-Pants!
  • Liked: 684
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 01:35:56 PM »
Saw the movie last night so my pros and cons are listed below. Minor spoilers, btw.

Good:

- The characters and the chemistry between them all.
- Flash and Wonder Women both steal the show. Cyborg also had his good moments.
- The film’s score was great.
- Superman finally being Superman. No more “The world hates me” type of guy.
- The mid and post credit scenes were awesome.
- That ancient battle that explained why the 3 main races were protecting the boxes. Plus the Easter eggs throughout that scene...loved it!
- The jokes were actually good. Only a few did not land right.
- The air bubble mechanic.

Bad:

- The villain and his main goal. That said, I did like his voice though. Absolutely perfect in that front.
- The CGI being bad in so many places and the main villain onscreen looked like a video game character. Not good. This shows you why you shouldn’t use CGI only. It usually never works unless lucky or done on purpose.
- The story was meh at best and so many plot holes.
- Superman and his lips looking off. I know why this is, so no need to explain this to me.
- How they brought back Superman - felt cheap. I did like that fight between the heroes, however.
- Those one liners were...yeah...
- The family didn’t provide anything to the main plot other than being saved to show that Superman joke.

If I had to score it, I would give it 6/10. Even then, better than BvS and SS. I do want to see more of these characters. 
Twitter: @ScottyTheWise

2014: SDCC, LBCC
2015: WC, SWCA, WW Sac., D23, LBCC, Comikaze
2016: SVCC, WC, SDCC
2017: ECCC, WC, SVCC, D23, SDCC
2018: WC, SVCC, E3, SDCC
2019: WC, SDCC, D23
2022: SWCA, SDCC, D23
2023: SDCC

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 10:56:59 AM »
My thoughts:

* Flash was great for the most part. His expressions were priceless. I love his running style. And unlike a lot of other speed guys in other shows / movies / books, they handled his usage perfectly. What I mean is that often you think a speed guy can win a fight or do everything before anyone else can even react. But in this movie, they placed him as the new guy completely out of his element, the scared guy who doesn't know how to be a hero.

* Wonder Woman was awesome as always. In my opinion Gal Gadot has become the cornerstone of the DC Movie Universe. She fills the role so completely. Even Wonder Woman's  flaws -- lack of leadership, for instance -- was done beautifully.

* Like Mario Wario above me noted, Superman was finally Superman. He kicked ass when he needed to kick ass. He was mild mannered Clark when he needed to be.

* Aquaman was... okay. I can see what they were after with his character, but I don't think they quite pulled it off. He's the loner angry guy with heart of gold. But too many scenes they were trying to make him look badass and cool when instead they should've shown some vulnerability.

* Cyborg seems to lack any personality. In Star Trek, Data had no emotions yet still had a distinct personality. I didn't see one with Cyborg. Nothing about him made him standout or even want me to care about him.

* Batman was Batman. He's never been my favorite character -- no matter who's playing him -- and Affleck did a serviceable job.

* Steppenwolf was meh. A standard conquer-the-world baddie. Both DC and Marvel really need to work on creating more engaging super villains.

* The relationship between Clark and Bruce didn't work for me at all. The way they acted towards each other is how it is in the comics. Wait, that's a good thing, right? Well, in the comics, they've had years to build up to that level of closeness and bond. Remember, they only met in the last movie and were trying to kill each other. And only because their mothers have the same last name, and suddenly they're BFFs and Bruce now idolizes Clark? No, just no. You get to that point after they've gone to war together several times, after you've helped each other several times, and after you've fought each other several times.

* The editing / pacing was terrible. The movie jumped from scene to scene without actually letting any of the scenes breathe, or letting the audience soak it in. Some of the action scenes were a mess where I couldn't tell what was going on. It reminded me of some of the Transformers movies where the action scenes were so busy it was just a blur.

* I hoped they're would be more of a consequence of Supe's resurrection. Or at least more of an explanation. What about the floating dirt at the end of BvS? Did they just ignore that? Was he just in a deep coma? That whole thing should've been handled better.

* I loved hearing Danny Elfman's Batman theme. In the credits, apparently John William's Superman theme was also used, but I must've missed it. It's strange that I don't think they even used Ham Zimmer's Superman theme? Or did they? And I wish they used more of Wonder Woman's theme. We heard it, what, once, and that's it?

* End credit scenes were nicely done. My sister asked me who was faster, and I told her it depends on which writer is writing the characters at the moment and what level of superpowers they have. But it's clear in this universe Superman is faster. I'm not sure they intended it that way though. Also, I am curious who they assemble for the his Injustice League. The problem with DC and Justice League is that Justice League is so overpowered that it's hard to see them not winning every fight handily.

* Overall, I put Justice League at about a 6/10. Better than BvS, but much below Wonder Woman. If rumors are true that Affleck wants out and Gadot will not return unless Brett Ratner is removed, then the next ensemble movie may look really different. And I'm not sure that's totally a good thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline clambert1273

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 196
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2017, 05:43:17 PM »
We all enjoyed it today :)  even my finicky husband ...  lived up to what I wanted to see and I thought it was done rather well (but I enjoy movies for movies lol).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2017, 10:15:39 PM »
Got to see it today and my thoughts are pretty much in line with the earlier posts, enjoyed it, was better than I thought, some definite editing issues. I'm looking forward to the standalone movies now, but apprehensive about another Flashpoint adaptation. Having said all that, one of first thoughts while leaving the theater was that I could have been 2/3rds of the way through watching Thor Ragnarok again. It's fascinating to have two movies released so close together that were both influenced so much by Kirby, and how differently they handled it.

Random things:

Had a hard time buying the whole Superman resurrection thing but one of my favorite scenes was when they were fighting Superman and the Flash ran in and Superman started tracking him with his eyes.

Affleck is a meh Batman but a great Bruce Wayne.  Everyone else was great in their roles.

Nice to see Green Lanterns in the flashback, but left me wondering why they were absent now. And why they didn't take a mother box or two off into space. Or why the bad guys just didn't make more mother boxes, they had a lot of time.

Could have used a scene with Flash and Cyborg pigging out on bbq, but at least we got a Boo-yah.

"Did you ever fight a hippo?"

For this guy, at least things worked out better than the last time he did research on mysterious technology

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2017, 08:59:51 AM »
We saw it yesterday. They played the original Superman theme when Supes showed up... in the fight, I think. It was just a bar or two, but recognizable.

Since everyone kept mentioning it, I was looking for Henry Cavill's mustache and at his upper lip. There was only one brief moment where I thought it looked weird.

Our family enjoyed it, but felt that Wonder Woman was better. But that's WAAAAY more than I can say about BvS.

Offline Emerald_Mom

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 234
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2017, 01:17:55 PM »
I didn't hate it, but didn't love it either.... I thought the pacing was sllllooooww. And the action scenes were meh.
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”
― Dr. Seuss

Offline DRWHO42

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • FoCC Blog
  • Liked: 1750
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2017, 05:04:53 PM »
I wrote an article on the Blog with my take on the movie.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Time and Relative Dimension in Space - 'TARDIS' for short

Editor-in-Chief of the FoCC Blog

Offline karatekid

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 149
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2017, 08:56:22 PM »
The movie was fun! No it's not going to win the Academy Award, no it didn't have the best story, no the transitions and character development wasn't awesome but that's not we're watching this right?  :)  The biggest challenge to me was we introduced 3 new characters (Aquaman, Flash, Cyborg) and had to do it in about 2 hours along with trying to Save the World!  O:-) Go watch, it's entertainment.
"Wax On, Wax Off"

Offline tsnyder

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 295
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2017, 10:25:21 AM »
I went in with pretty low expectations and was pleasantly surprised, I really enjoyed it.  I'm a hardcore Marvel over DC guy but that was a pretty good movie.  Agree with all the comments above. Iindividually I really liked all the characters.  I thought the amazonian fights were amazing, fight with superman was awesome, could definitely tell the difference of a Joss Wheldon influence with the humor.  Super weird, with all that somehow as a whole the movie was lacking.  I guess I will chock it up to really not caring about the main villain at all and thought he looked terrible which drew away for the overall experience.  I do think with Wonder Woman and now Justice League they have turned a corner and I am looking forward to future offerings.

Offline brand4d2

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 291
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2017, 12:18:00 PM »
Well, this hardcore DC fan gives a stamp of approval!      While far from being a definitive Justice League story and not without its share of flaws, I actually enjoyed this one over Thor Ragnarok.   

What I enjoyed the least was not enough of the Hans Zimmer themes from the previous films...Wonder Woman's only played for a few seconds!   :(

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
Justice League ***Spoilers***
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2017, 01:15:47 PM »
This was an odd film, to me.  While I appreciated the brisk pacing, it made the movie feel a bit disjointed (and you could often tell when Joss W interjected a line here or there).  I agree with many others who say Steppenwolf sucked as a bad guy, and while it was great to see Superman feel like comic book Superman tone-wise I think when he was missing on screen (especially during fight/action sequences), it was sorely missed.
As a kid who grew up practically worshipping DC comics in the 1980s, and especially Batman and JLA comics, I was pretty shocked that my favorite characters in this film were Flash, Aquaman, and especially Cyborg (he character didn’t interest me at all going into the movie): and not Batman, Superman, or Wonder Woman.  I thought Batman was a flat-out bore!  If could relay this to my elementary/middle school self in the 80s younger me would refuse to believe (though that may partially be because I wouldn’t have believed the time travel bit).
It’s impressive that Snyder and Whedon did a decent service to the less-known JLA members (Flash, Cyborg especially, and Aquaman), and I walked away from the film thinking Flash and Cyborg actually had legit (though a bit undercooked) character arcs!  I’ve always loved Flash, and while this portrayal seemed more like ‘Kid Flash’ than Barry Allan, I dug the character.

I find myself wrestling with this felling about JUSTICE LEAGUE: is a film with entertaining characters but an awful villain and a very weak storyline still a “good” movie?  If I’m anxious to see another JLA film with these characters & actors, did the film accomplish its job? 
I don’t think I can answer that.  I do know that I have no interests in revisiting this film again, and even with a Movie Pass card where I can see a movie everyday for ‘free,’ I don’t see myself seeing this again.  Rumor has it WB is kind of radically shifting focus on the non-JLA films, with more stand-alone plots.  I’d like to see a Flash film for sure, and a Cyborg film dealing further with his wrestling with his own humanity could be interesting.  Heck, I think even a Flash/Cyborg team up film could be fun with the two youthful JLA members.

If the mid-credits scene is a hint of things to come, I’m All In!  Take that tone and run w/it and I think we may have a bit of fried gold here.  I don’t know if that’s what we should expect, but only time will tell.

I’d give this a minor recommendation with the caveat of “you don’t need to make this a priority - what until you’ve seen other movies (like THREE BILLBOARDS, or THE FLORIDA PROJECT) before seeing JL.  As a teacher I’d maybe give this a C+/B- grade

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2017, 03:27:02 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
If could relay this to my elementary/middle school self in the 80s younger me would refuse to believe (though that may partially be because I wouldn’t have believed the time travel bit).

This is how I feel about hating the X-movies and loving the Captain America movies.  :)