Author Topic: Comic Con Fit - Feb Veggie Challenge  (Read 13621 times)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7003
sweet potato
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2018, 03:01:20 PM »
I made 2 sweet potato recipies
both of them were hits with my housemates;
the sweet potato & peanut stew and the sweet potato toast w/poached egg and avocado. Here are the actual recipes. I deleted the red pepper flakes from the stew and the Sriracha from the toast.  I was trying to go savory & healthy so i did not want to use any cream cheese on the toast but decided to use avacado & egg (for some added protein)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I decided to pair them together but will probably just make one or the other next time- and yes both of these will be made again. first they are yummy, the stew with peanuts & tomatoes, is to die for, and it was spectacular enough for a pot luck. The sweet potato toast was dead on simple- yet elevated with the creamy egg yoke, avocado & sweet potato -- add fresh cilantro &/or Surachia... nice for a brunch/ summer lunch etc
Both are simple to make & low cost.

Peal about 3 lbs of sweet potatoes. Cut the center out of each potatoes so that you have slices for the toast;

brush with EVOO & place on tray for oven- or omit the EVOO and use a drop in toaster, I don't have one of those [it's a story] Set aside to the end of cooking regardless.

Cut remainder of potatoes (about 2 lbs), next time I will cut these into smaller cubes 1/4" and put in less then pictured

Dice fresh ginger, garlic (yes i doubled the amt called for in the recipe) and onion. Dice the ginger small, the garlic not so much & the onions standard

In a stock/soup pot, add EVOO for pan, add Garlic, Ginger & onion cook till begining to get translucent. reduce heat add sweet potatoes stir to coat, add about two tea spoons Cumin and salt.
Add 4 cups veg stock
add a half a jar of super crunch peanut butter
add 28oz can of chopped tomatoes
add 4 packed cups chopped Kale
stir, cover

Cook for 15 -20 min's on med low.
Either put Sweet potato slices in oven for 15 min or repeatedly toast them
Put water on for poached egg & slice avocado
taste stew, adjust seasoning

poach eggs place directly onto assembled sweet potato & avocado
garnish

plate & serve

the stew has been requested again. the next time i cook it I will

add a can & a half or 2 cans diced tomatoes
Less sweet potatoes maybe 1 1/2 pound.  diced to about 1/4" sq.
don't be afraid of adding more Kale.
maybe use a hand blender & blend once or twice. Just so a few of the potatoes are creamed into the broth
serve it with tabasco for folks who like it

« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 09:15:03 PM by alyssa »
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Miss Kitty

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 738
Re: Comic Con Fit - Feb Veggie Challenge
« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2018, 06:23:38 PM »
Deadpools-Not Chimichunga-Taquitos

I can't figure out photos, they will be posted on Twitter

5 cups of cube sweet potatoes
3 cups (or a can) of black beans
4 Tbsp of water
1/2 tsp garlic powder or minced garlic
1/4 cup taco seasoning
Salt and pepper to taste
24 corn tortillas
Olive oil, I like the spray

Preheat oven 400*
Spray pan with olive oil spray or line with parchmemt and roast cubed sweet potatoes with olive oil, salt, and pepper for 20 mins. Flip if you'd like, I don't.

In a blender or food processor, add everything and blend.
Warm tortillas in a skillet
Remove from skillet and add a Tbsp glob and roll up, don't let the mixture go to the very end, leave about a half inch from each end.
Spray or brush on olive oil and bake till crispy, about 20 mins, flipping halfway.

If you don't warm them up enough, they will probably crack. It happens.
Sprinkle with cotija cheese if you'd like. Don't know where to find it? Just use freshly grated cheddar.

Eat as is or dip with your favorite salsa or make some guac!

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #62 on: Today at 08:31:37 AM »

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2018, 07:04:33 PM »
I had to laugh when I saw the post from [member=1]alyssa[/member] , since one of the things I tried was a sort of eggs benedict with sweet potato toast. Great minds, something, something :) The benedict uses a hollandaise substitute made with greek yogurt and eggplant "bacon" instead of meat.  I also roasted different kinds of sweet potatoes with some coconut oil.

Roast Sweet Potatoes with Coconut Oil

Ingredients

Various sweet potatoes
Coconut oil
Brown sugar or cane sugar
Pepper

Directions

Wash the sweet potatoes and cut into chunks. The ones I got looked a bit gnarly so I peeled them as well even though I'd prefer to keep the peels on.

Add 2 tsp sugar. Heat 1-2 tbsp coconut oil and toss with the potatoes and sugar.

Roast at 350 for about an hour, tossing occasionally. Add pepper to taste.

Faux Benedict

Ingredients

EVOO
Large sweet potato, I used a Hanna variety for color, texture, and since I could find ones large enough to make bread-like slices.
Eggs

For the hollandaise sauce, (hollandish?):

3 egg yolks
1 cup fat free greek yogurt
1 tsp lemon juice
Seasonings. (There are lots of different hollandaise recipes, some use minced garlic, some use dijon mustard, etc. I just added pepper, smoked paprika, and herbes de provence.

Eggplant bacon:

1 tablespoon soy sauce or low sodium substitute (I make a sauce from water, rice vinegar, molasses, brown sugar, and garlic powder.)
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
1/2 teaspoon maple syrup

Directions

Wash the sweet potato, trim and slice into 1/2 inch slices. Bake at 350 for about 20-25 minutes until softened, turn over halfway. Let cool.

To make the eggplant bacon, slice thin into bacon sized strips, use a mandoline if you have one, a peeler would work as well. Add enough olive oil to cover the bottom of a heavy pan and heat to medium. Mix the ingredients for the sauce and brush on one side of the eggplant. Add to the skillet with the unbrushed side down. Cook for about 2 minutes a side, until crispy, keeping a close eye on it. Set on paper towels to drain.

Heat water to a simmer in a double boiler or reasonable facsimile (I have a bowl that just happens to fit perfectly into a small pot.) Mix the egg yolks, yogurt and lemon juice and cook for 15 minutes, stirring frequently.

Get water ready for poached eggs. Add some vinegar if you like.

Toast the eggplant slices in a toaster or toaster oven, if you brush them lightly with olive oil you can get a nice crisp on them.

Add seasonings to the sauce, poach some eggs, combine and serve.

Notes

Really happy with the yogurt hollandaise.

It took me a couple of tries to get the "bacon" to turn out ok, even then I ended up cutting away some parts that didn't crisp up. I think next time I will use a vegan sausage patty I found that isn't too high in sodium.

I don't have an actual toaster either but I'm going to take some sweet potato slices into work to see how they turn out.

I've been trying date sugar in various things, it's basically just ground dates that you can substitute for sugar. It isn't any lower in calories but you get the extra nutrition and I like the flavor. It's not as sweet as sugar, but I don't like things overly sweet in the first place.

It was interesting how different the sweet potato varieties were, some are much drier than others and cooked quite differently, the purple variety especially so. I'd like to try roasting them in foil next time and see how that turns out. The coconut oil was really nice with the sweeter, softer varieties.

Funny story, when I bought all the different sweet potatoes, the poor checker of course had to enter in all of the different codes. I jokingly apologized and she, (she's an older grandmotherly lady,) said that, no ... it was no trouble, these are so healthy and she's just glad to see me buying healthier food. #smalltownproblems

Looking forward to trying the stew and the taquitos

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2018, 06:01:43 AM »
I had to laugh when I saw the post from [member=1]alyssa[/member] , since one of the things I tried was a sort of eggs benedict with sweet potato toast. Great minds, something, something :) The benedict uses a hollandaise substitute made with greek yogurt and eggplant "bacon" instead of meat. 

HA yes, [member=4270]mark[/member] great minds ;)
I like the addition of a faux hollandaise. How did you make that? I've never tried to make it before, it always seemed too heavy. It would add the same creamy-ness to the sweet potato and poached egg that the avocado added in mine- It would be a nice 'brunch'/sunday/special breakfast item. Mine needed a topping, it was kind of naked lol

Let me know how the toasted in a top loader toaster does- some of the other suggestions for toppers included Hummus & cucumber. I think the potato & hummus combo might make a complete protein- and give the snack a 'heartier' feel to it.

Interesting trying all the different types of potato- I've tried the purple sweet potato, it was an interesting difference.

[member=1617]Miss Kitty[/member]
those taquitos would be *great* served with the stew I made. I think i'm going to try & make them when i make the stew again - perhaps i'll half the recipe tho. I'll let you know the results-
Let me know about where you live, i see if I can stop by and show you how to post pictures ;)

Re; the peanut butter stew- it occurred to me, to make it more comic con fit I could use a powered peanut butter with extra stock. To get the same effect & taste tho, I'll have to add a tablespoon or so of finally chopped peanuts to each bowl or a half cup to the pot.  If i try the powdered PB, i'll have to make sure i blend some of the cooked sweet potatoes into the broth to get the creamy-ness.

[member=5419]Aaron[/member] Eggplant this week.../sigh/ i am lost, not as lost as i was with boc choy tho

Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline Miss Kitty

• Pre-Registration
« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2018, 06:18:00 AM »
We may have to make 2 dishes this week. Kass has something up his sleeve. I'm making an old meal I haven't made in years. Pretty excited for eggplant!

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2018, 06:44:52 AM »
We may have to make 2 dishes this week. Kass has something up his sleeve. I'm making an old meal I haven't made in years. Pretty excited for eggplant!
that was kind of where i was last week- I wanted to try both-

in my area- the standard is eggplant parm.  It's not comicconfit tho- i had an interesting eggplant dish a while ago (like a few months ago) and can't remember what it was I think it was loaded with cheese- and baked- hummm

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2018, 02:14:26 PM »
[member=1]alyssa[/member] the hollandaise steps are in the post but it's pretty basic. If you want to try a smaller amount do 1/3 cup nonfat greek yogurt, 1 egg yolk and 1/ tsp lemon juice. You need to use something akin to a double boiler, like my jury-rigged setup. Mix well then cook 15 minutes over simmering water, stirring regularly. Season however you want. It's pretty cool how the yogurt smell just goes away when you get close to 15 minutes and the sauce starts to thicken. I like it too since I have the water pretty much all ready for poaching.

I'm curious to try the purple sweet potatoes as a fritter, or something similar and savory.

Just got back from the store with charcoal and a pile of eggplants, *evil laugh*.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2018, 03:31:15 PM »
[member=1]alyssa[/member] the hollandaise steps are in the post but it's pretty basic. If you want to try a smaller amount do 1/3 cup nonfat greek yogurt, 1 egg yolk and 1/ tsp lemon juice. You need to use something akin to a double boiler, like my jury-rigged setup. Mix well then cook 15 minutes over simmering water, stirring regularly. Season however you want. It's pretty cool how the yogurt smell just goes away when you get close to 15 minutes and the sauce starts to thicken. I like it too since I have the water pretty much all ready for poaching.

I'm curious to try the purple sweet potatoes as a fritter, or something similar and savory.

Just got back from the store with charcoal and a pile of eggplants, *evil laugh*.

ok so you're the one to beat next week LOL

yeah, you're right the instructions were there-- I guess i just zoned out after i read 'double boiler' - I don't usually do sweets or baking, so no chocolate melting for me- I'll have to see if i can rig something- I'm sure i can, i'm good at improve.

so no sign of [member=5419]Aaron[/member]'s sweet potato dish yet ? LOL

no answers required yet but be thinking of suggestions for more veg's if we want to carry this into March

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2018, 05:06:50 PM »
I wouldn't worry, I'm almost done with an eggplant dish tonight that has a sauce made with yogurt and stuff, I'm mixing it up and go to taste it and realize I accidentally bought vanilla yogurt  :(

I am hoping that eggplant can help satisfy some of my carnivorous cook with fire tendencies.

Offline Miss Kitty

• Pre-Registration
« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2018, 06:23:45 PM »
My eggplant dish may not be super low cal, but I'm thinking it may get meat eaters or veggie dodgers to actually try what I have planned. :)

Next month, I vote cauliflower. I don't really like it, but I know people do. And spinach. Now I love spinach!

Offline Aaron

• Exhibit Hall
  • Getting #ComicConFit for any con (and for life)!
    • Hall H Show Podcast
  • Liked: 45
« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2018, 06:23:44 AM »
Here's my Sweet Potato dish from last week's Comic Con Fit  Feb Veggie Challenge!

Sorry for the delay...had a busy weekend working on side projects and content from Black Comix Day on Saturday (which was a fun and great event). I think it turned out well for first try...and thinking on the fly at 99 Ranch (a Chinese Supermarket).

Ingredients:
- SweetPotato (Chinese variety)
- Korean Japchae noodles (made from sweet potatoes
- Cabbage
- Green Onions
- Ham
- Garlic
- ChiliOil with garlic
- Soy Sauce
- Sesame Oil
- Honey
- Rice Vinegar
- Black Pepper

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Co-Host of the #HallHshow podcast. #ComicConFit motivator.

Personal:
Twitter/Instagram/Facebook: AaronNabus

Hall H:
Twitter/Instagram/Facebook: HallHdotcom

Comic Con Fit:
Twitter/Instagram/Facebook: ComicConFit

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2018, 07:19:28 AM »

is it just me or did something else come to mind when u saw these noodles? LOL I usually don't go there but where i grew up, one of the sources of income was to get elver's, an immature eel, they only ran for a week or two once a year.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
Comic Con Fit - Feb Veggie Challenge
« Reply #72 on: February 20, 2018, 12:16:41 PM »
My ingredients for this week

Offline Miss Kitty

• Pre-Registration
« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2018, 12:27:00 PM »
Oh very curious!

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #74 on: February 20, 2018, 12:37:34 PM »
Oh very curious!

I'm really looking forward to eating this- it's really at the roots of my cooking- lentils where huge in my house-