Author Topic: Eats Around Comic Con  (Read 214756 times)

Offline Angology

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
Re: Eats Around Comic Con
« Reply #750 on: May 14, 2017, 08:43:29 PM »
If anyone is interested, I have compiled a list of all of the restaurant's mentioned on this thread (hopefully, I have not left any out). I am in the process of reviewing all of the links for 2017 and removing any that have closed (There is a second tab for the restaurants that have closed).

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I usually stay at Omni but this year staying at Manchester Grand Hyatt - what restaurants over there are musts? Casual or fancy - I like both!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There is a rundown of the restaurants in the MGH in the document, as found on this thread.

Offline iogpsych

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #751 on: May 14, 2017, 09:15:55 PM »
If anyone is interested, I have compiled a list of all of the restaurant's mentioned on this thread (hopefully, I have not left any out). I am in the process of reviewing all of the links for 2017 and removing any that have closed (There is a second tab for the restaurants that have closed).

There is a rundown of the restaurants in the MGH in the document, as found on this thread.
Cool! Thanks!! I'm used to gaslamp stuff but know this year is going to be drastically different

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #752 on: Today at 11:19:54 AM »

Offline dcuodust

• Hall H
  • To me, my board!
  • Liked: 405
« Reply #752 on: June 07, 2017, 11:04:32 AM »
Cool! Thanks!! I'm used to gaslamp stuff but know this year is going to be drastically different

San Diego magazine's Best Restaurant's 2017:

What are you, Worf? Do you tremble and quake with fear at the approach of combat? Hoping to talk your way out of a fight like a Human? Or do you hear the cry of the warrior, calling you to battle, calling you to glory like a Klingon?
- Gowron, Chancellor of the Klingon High Council

Offline darqamin

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 179
« Reply #753 on: June 21, 2017, 06:32:08 PM »

Thanks, that will be really helpful for planning a meetup with my friends this year.

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #754 on: June 24, 2017, 09:08:37 AM »
COMIC-CON 2017 TOUCAN TIP OF THE DAY! #05: Since You’ve Been Gone

It’s hard to believe that another year has passed, and here we are with Comic-Con #48! While we’re sure more changes have happened in the downtown San Diego neighborhoods surrounding the Convention Center, we have a couple of changes in particular we’d like to highlight.

Cost Plus World Market is Closed

We’re sad to tell you that a Gaslamp institution, the Cost Plus World Market, has closed (as of today, June 24). This market, located just steps up 4th Avenue from the Convention Center, was a treasure trove of food and candy from around the world, plus a great place to purchase, um … shall we say adult beverages? We’re sad that they couldn’t stay open for one more Comic-Con!

Quartyard Temporarily Goes Away

The Quartyard, the public event and food spot located at 11th and Market, has also gone away … but only temporarily. The space will reopen in October in a new location at 13th and Market, just 2 blocks east of its old location. Unfortunately that’s too late for this year’s Comic-Con, but it should be back and thriving next year.

New Hotel and Resturants

The Pendry San Diego, a new boutique hotel, has opened on Fifth Avenue at J Street, a short walk from the Convention Center. While any new hotel is a welcome addition downtown, this one in particular includes a collection of six new restaurants: Lionfish, Oxford Social Club, The Pool House, Provisional, Fifth and Rose, and Nason’s Beer Hall, that you may want to check out when you go for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.

We will once again be featuring our Restaurant Guide for the area surrounding the Convention Center. Look for that in your onsite Quick Guide and also here online in the next 10 days or so. Get out there and explore San Diego … we have a ton of great restaurants and food options for you, both downtown and a bit farther afield (Little Italy and Liberty Station spring to mind)!

As in years past, we recommend you include the Embarcadero in any of your walks or explorations. It’s a straight shot behind the Convention Center up through Seaport Village, to the cruise ship terminal, making it difficult to get lost, if you’re new to San Diego! The Embarcadero has changed significantly over the past few years and continues to change. There’s now an outdoor restaurant, just north of the Midway Museum, near the County Building, and Waterfront Park continues to be a great oasis between the Embarcadero in the west and Little Italy to the east. We also encourage you to head east into the East Village along Market Street if you’re looking for restaurants to try. There are a lot of them on Market Street alone, east from 4th Avenue on.

Check back for another Toucan Tip tomorrow here on Toucan, the only OFFICIAL SDCC blog! Bookmark Toucan and the Comic-Con Front Page for the latest updates for Comic-Con International 2017!

Offline Angology

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
« Reply #755 on: June 24, 2017, 07:27:59 PM »
I was able to finish looking up the restaurants mentioned here to check for closures, etc.

Here are the restaurants that are closed since last year (some, it's just the closest location). There is a separate tab for all closed restaurants.

* La Fiesta
* Papa Luna's Empanadas
* S&M Sausage
* Dick's Last Resort
* Panda Inn
* Anthony's Fish Grotto
* Venissimo Cheese
* Dupar's
* Bruxie
* Tacos El Gordo

Google doc:

I also made a map of the downtown locations (there is also a link in the header row of the Google doc, in the Map # column)
Ang

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #756 on: June 24, 2017, 07:46:30 PM »
I was able to finish looking up the restaurants mentioned here to check for closures, etc.

Here are the restaurants that are closed since last year (some, it's just the closest location). There is a separate tab for all closed restaurants.

* La Fiesta
* Papa Luna's Empanadas
* S&M Sausage
* Dick's Last Resort
* Panda Inn
* Anthony's Fish Grotto
* Venissimo Cheese
* Dupar's
* Bruxie
* Tacos El Gordo

Google doc:

I also made a map of the downtown locations (there is also a link in the header row of the Google doc, in the Map # column)

Wonderful work, [member=364]Angology[/member]!  Thank you so much for doing this for us year-to-year!  ^__^/
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline LibertyRoxx

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 131
« Reply #757 on: June 26, 2017, 03:14:28 PM »
Not that I expect it to be many, but if anyone is vegetarian or vegan and looking for spots to eat that cater more to that feel free to message me. I've been doing vegan at Comic Con since 2011 so have a few tips. :)
SDCC- 2011-2019, 2022; DCC- 2014, 2017, 2022; SWC- 1999, 2017, 2022; Dragon Con- 2014; Gallifrey One- 2015, 2018-2019, 2022-2023; NYCC- 2010-2019, 2021-2022; ECCC- 2018-2019, 2021-2022

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #758 on: June 26, 2017, 07:53:41 PM »
Not that I expect it to be many, but if anyone is vegetarian or vegan and looking for spots to eat that cater more to that feel free to message me. I've been doing vegan at Comic Con since 2011 so have a few tips. :)

There is a great vegan/vegetarian place up the hill from SDCC in Banker's Hill called Evolution. I'm not vegan or veg but I still love eating there!
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #759 on: June 26, 2017, 08:01:50 PM »

* La Fiesta
* Papa Luna's Empanadas
* S&M Sausage
* Dick's Last Resort
* Panda Inn
* Anthony's Fish Grotto
* Venissimo Cheese
* Dupar's
* Bruxie
* Tacos El Gordo

Google doc:

Whoa. Dick's Last Resort is gone? I think I've been there at least every SDCC the past 5-6 years. It wasn't a great place per se, just convenient for lunch, with lively employees.

The one I'm sad about is Sammy's Woodfried Pizza, which closed maybe three years ago. I really liked their pizza.

Offline Angology

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
« Reply #760 on: June 26, 2017, 08:10:24 PM »
Whoa. Dick's Last Resort is gone? I think I've been there at least every SDCC the past 5-6 years. It wasn't a great place per se, just convenient for lunch, with lively employees.

The one I'm sad about is Sammy's Woodfried Pizza, which closed maybe three years ago. I really liked their pizza.
I checked and double-checked. I couldn't believe it either.
Apparently, it isn't clear why it closed. Seems it closed pretty abruptly.

Ang

Offline susanml10881

• Hall H
  • Liked: 152
« Reply #761 on: June 29, 2017, 10:27:32 PM »
Oh, I remember that. It seemed locals hated the place. Probably went under. Expensive to be Downtown. Hopefully they paid their employees. Some places that shut down like that don't.

I checked and double-checked. I couldn't believe it either.
Apparently, it isn't clear why it closed. Seems it closed pretty abruptly.

Offline dcuodust

• Hall H
  • To me, my board!
  • Liked: 405
« Reply #762 on: June 30, 2017, 06:01:03 PM »
TasteOVision Best Breweries and Restaurants in San Diego

What are you, Worf? Do you tremble and quake with fear at the approach of combat? Hoping to talk your way out of a fight like a Human? Or do you hear the cry of the warrior, calling you to battle, calling you to glory like a Klingon?
- Gowron, Chancellor of the Klingon High Council

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #763 on: July 02, 2017, 08:32:56 AM »
COMIC-CON 2017 TOUCAN TIP OF THE DAY! #13: When-and Where-Do We Eat? Our 2017 Restaurant Guide!

Our 2017 Restaurant Guide is now available online … click here to read or download it You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login This year over 200 restaurants and food and beverage establishments are listed in the downtown, Gaslamp, Horton Plaza, East Village, Seaport Village and Seaport District areas, most if not all, within walking distance of the San Diego Convention Center. The Restaurant Guide is also available in print in the Quick Guide, which you can grab onsite when you get to Comic-Con (an online version will be posted on the website as we get closer to the event).

Keep that Comic-Con 2017 badge on and wear it proudly when you go out to eat, because local restaurants will be offering special offers and discounts for Comic-Con badge-holders!

San Diego restaurants have created “Grab-and-Go” options and badge discount savings for Comic-Con attendees! Most restaurants listed here are offering special Grab-and-Go options, meal discounts, or are participating in the San Diego Convention Center and East Village Association’s “Show Your Badge & Save Programs.” Comic-Con attendees simply need to show their badge at the time of purchase to redeem the discount!

The Convention Center’s program is also offered in a coupon format at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

You can also visit the East Village Association’s website at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view the most current information and offers.

Check back for another Toucan Tip tomorrow here on Toucan, the only OFFICIAL SDCC blog! Bookmark Toucan and the Comic-Con Front Page for the latest updates for Comic-Con International 2017!

Offline Angology

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
« Reply #764 on: July 02, 2017, 02:24:48 PM »
COMIC-CON 2017 TOUCAN TIP OF THE DAY! #13: When-and Where-Do We Eat? Our 2017 Restaurant Guide!

Our 2017 Restaurant Guide is now available online … click here to read or download it You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login This year over 200 restaurants and food and beverage establishments are listed in the downtown, Gaslamp, Horton Plaza, East Village, Seaport Village and Seaport District areas, most if not all, within walking distance of the San Diego Convention Center. The Restaurant Guide is also available in print in the Quick Guide, which you can grab onsite when you get to Comic-Con (an online version will be posted on the website as we get closer to the event).

Keep that Comic-Con 2017 badge on and wear it proudly when you go out to eat, because local restaurants will be offering special offers and discounts for Comic-Con badge-holders!

San Diego restaurants have created “Grab-and-Go” options and badge discount savings for Comic-Con attendees! Most restaurants listed here are offering special Grab-and-Go options, meal discounts, or are participating in the San Diego Convention Center and East Village Association’s “Show Your Badge & Save Programs.” Comic-Con attendees simply need to show their badge at the time of purchase to redeem the discount!

The Convention Center’s program is also offered in a coupon format at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

You can also visit the East Village Association’s website at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view the most current information and offers.

FYI-this year's coupons (mentioned above) are up to date for SDCC

Dining deals include:

15% OFF FINAL BILL ----------------------> Bandar Restaurant
10% OFF ENTIRE BILL ----------------------> Broken Yolk Cafe  :) :)
15% OFF FOOD BILL --------------------> Buster’s Beach House
SAVE FROM 12-21% ----------------------------------> Cafe 21
FREE APPETIZER --------------------------------> Cafe Coyote
15% OFF MEAL ---------------------------------> Cafe Sevilla
20% OFF ENTIRE ORDER -------------------> Caps Pizza and Bar
15% OFF PURCHASE --------------------> Carnitas’ Snack Shack
SAVE ON ENTREES --------------------------> Casa Guadalajara
$10 OFF BILL ------------------------------> Duke’s La Jolla
20% OFF YOUR TAB --------------> Florent Restaurant & Lounge
10% OFF ENTIRE BILL ------------------> GARAGE Kitchen & Bar
FREE CHOCOLATE BAR -> Ghirardelli Ice Cream & Chocolate Shop
COMPLIMENTARY ITEM -------------------> Greystone Steakhouse