Author Topic: Introductions/Welcome Thread  (Read 196986 times)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7002
Re: Introductions/Welcome Thread
« Reply #1110 on: February 28, 2017, 12:48:12 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Hello all. I'm Khai and I've been to SDCC for around ten years. My husband's from SD and has been going for most of his life. We live over on the East Coast with my service dog Fargo and a pair of weird cats.

The last few years I have been going with a professional friend, but this year she isn't coming (she's foreign and worried about the US Border). Turns out guests of professionals don't count as returning attendees, so I'm having to brave open registration. Wish me luck!
Luck!
Join a buying group!
We anticipate a quick turn around between returning reg and open reg. If that holds, you'll need to stay tuned in ..
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #1111 on: February 28, 2017, 12:48:32 PM »
Hello all. I'm Khai and I've been to SDCC for around ten years. My husband's from SD and has been going for most of his life. We live over on the East Coast with my service dog Fargo and a pair of weird cats.

The last few years I have been going with a professional friend, but this year she isn't coming (she's foreign and worried about the US Border). Turns out guests of professionals don't count as returning attendees, so I'm having to brave open registration. Wish me luck!

I can vouch for this geek.  She is quality.  <3

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #1112 on: Today at 03:39:48 AM »

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #1112 on: February 28, 2017, 06:55:32 PM »

Welcome to the forums, Khai!  ^__^/  (I like that you said "a pair of weird cats."  How weird are they?  Ha ha.)

As alyssa mentioned, try joining a buying group.  There may be a few spots open.  :]

What are the things you enjoy or look forward to the most when attending SDCC?
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline deadlyhausfrau

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #1113 on: February 28, 2017, 08:31:59 PM »
Oh man, my favorite things...that's a hard one. I love the author and artist panels, especially the smaller ones upstairs where you can talk to the authors after. I also like the weird panels, like the one led by the military who were talking about how to use the military in film. Early screenings are great chances to rest after running around. I want to make a couple of the Cosplay how-to panels this year (somehow I keep missing them). Also, we usually wander over to the game room to see what new games are being shown off.

My least favorite things are the crowds. 0/10, do not like... but then, who does?

Thanks for the advice on the buying group. I did get accepted into one, so I'm hopeful about my chances.

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1114 on: February 28, 2017, 08:42:09 PM »
Oh man, my favorite things...that's a hard one. I love the author and artist panels, especially the smaller ones upstairs where you can talk to the authors after. I also like the weird panels, like the one led by the military who were talking about how to use the military in film. Early screenings are great chances to rest after running around. I want to make a couple of the Cosplay how-to panels this year (somehow I keep missing them). Also, we usually wander over to the game room to see what new games are being shown off.

My least favorite things are the crowds. 0/10, do not like... but then, who does?

Thanks for the advice on the buying group. I did get accepted into one, so I'm hopeful about my chances.

Ohhh, those are interesting!  The smaller author and artist panels are really cool.  I hope you do make it to those cosplay how-to panels this time around!

Are you currently following any TV shows or comics right now?

Ha ha, I'm not a fan of the huge crowds at con either, but you do what you have to do.  *laughs*

I'm glad you were able to join a buying group!  Good luck on badges this year.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline deadlyhausfrau

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #1115 on: March 01, 2017, 04:16:20 PM »
Thanks so much!

I just got into Legion, which is a demanding watch but great. Still deciding on Timeless. Overall I keep up with AoS, the DC TV shows (Arrow, Flash, Supergirl, Legends), and Supernatural (I know, it's problematic but at this point I'm in it for life). Doctor Who, too. Anything Young Justice related is my jam.

For comics, I usually obsessively follow Captain America but right now I'm on strike because Nick Spencer is peeing over everything I love. I have a lot of the old X-men and Star Wars series. Anything Scott Snyder, Gail Simone, or Neil Gaiman write, I'll pick up. I like a lot of indie comics, too, but they often trail off without enough resolution, which is a little frustrating (looking at you, Fell). Saga's awesome, Rat Queens is awesome, lots of things are awesome and I'm probably missing something that I love, but eh.

What about you? Do we have fandom overlaps?

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #1116 on: March 01, 2017, 09:03:07 PM »
Welcome! Lots of overlap :) Legion quickly becoming my favorite show. On the indie side planning to give Lemire's Royal City a go, definitely spending less on Marvel/DC issues these days in favor of independents, except for some runs like Fraction & Aja's Hawkeye, Ellis's Moon Knight and the recent Vision.  Even when a new title fizzles out, the first issues tend to be interesting.

Offline aurorabeam

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #1117 on: March 12, 2017, 11:40:10 PM »
Hi everyone, my name is Aurora.  :)

One of my friends was telling me about how awesome friendsofcc is, so I figured I should make a profile and introduce myself!

I'm from socal and work in a STEM field, which I absolutely love. I enjoy casual photography and messing around with my ukulele.

I'm a huge Star Wars fan! Have been since 10 year old me watched phantom menace for the first time (I know, not that great, but 10 y/o me loved it).

I'm really into Marvel, and lately I've been getting into some DC stuff, including Supergirl, which has quickly become one of my favorite shows.

A few other interests include Mass Effect and Game of Thrones.

I haven't been to SDCC yet, but I'm hoping this year is the first of many! I've probably gone to Anime Expo at about 6 or 7 times.

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1118 on: March 12, 2017, 11:47:52 PM »
Hi everyone, my name is Aurora.  :)

One of my friends was telling me about how awesome friendsofcc is, so I figured I should make a profile and introduce myself!

I'm from socal and work in a STEM field, which I absolutely love. I enjoy casual photography and messing around with my ukulele.

I'm a huge Star Wars fan! Have been since 10 year old me watched phantom menace for the first time (I know, not that great, but 10 y/o me loved it).

I'm really into Marvel, and lately I've been getting into some DC stuff, including Supergirl, which has quickly become one of my favorite shows.

A few other interests include Mass Effect and Game of Thrones.

I haven't been to SDCC yet, but I'm hoping this year is the first of many! I've probably gone to Anime Expo at about 6 or 7 times.

Welcome to the forums, [member=6769]aurorabeam[/member]!  (Is that also a reference to the Pokemon move in the games?!  Ha ha.)

Glad that you could join us in our community here!  Very cool.  STEM fields are awesome.  I did in a STEM major and am currently pursuing a Master of Forensic Science.  ^__~

You'll find a lot of people with similar interests around these parts, and you may even be able to meet some of them in person at some of the meet-ups.  More details and information will follow as it gets closer and closer to Comic-Con, but some forum members plan meet-ups to hang out during con.  You'll see the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login thread get more active later on, so check back every so often to see what's up.

Definitely join a badge buying group to get some extra help in trying for Comic-Con badges during the open (or general) registration sale.  We have two new groups who can take in some new members.  ^__~

Check out the thread here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

What kind of things will you be looking forward to seeing at Comic-Con?

Once again, welcome!

Offline aurorabeam

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #1119 on: March 16, 2017, 08:51:24 PM »
Welcome to the forums, [member=6769]aurorabeam[/member]!  (Is that also a reference to the Pokemon move in the games?!  Ha ha.)

Glad that you could join us in our community here!  Very cool.  STEM fields are awesome.  I did in a STEM major and am currently pursuing a Master of Forensic Science.  ^__~

You'll find a lot of people with similar interests around these parts, and you may even be able to meet some of them in person at some of the meet-ups.  More details and information will follow as it gets closer and closer to Comic-Con, but some forum members plan meet-ups to hang out during con.  You'll see the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login thread get more active later on, so check back every so often to see what's up.

Definitely join a badge buying group to get some extra help in trying for Comic-Con badges during the open (or general) registration sale.  We have two new groups who can take in some new members.  ^__~

Check out the thread here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

What kind of things will you be looking forward to seeing at Comic-Con?

Once again, welcome!

Thanks for the welcome, [member=317]Zero[/member]! :)

Yup, my user name is a Pokemon reference hahaha. I loved the series as a kid, and recently got into it again with Pokemon Go.

Masters in Forensic Science? That's awesome! That honestly sounds like a really interesting field of study. Do they let you guys practice on real cases?

Thanks for the link to the meet ups! I recently went to a convention and met some amazing people, so I'm definitely open to meeting people/making friends at SDCC. I think the great thing is that most people already have shared interests.

Yup, joined a buying group that my friend recommended, so all set there. *fingers crossed*

So I've heard there's a crazy amount of events that happen at once, and that it's hard to narrow down what to do. But if I had to choose my top events, I'd say anything Star Wars related, and definitely any Supergirl, Wynonna Earp, OUAT, or Walking Dead panels.

Offline adorablepancreas

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #1120 on: March 16, 2017, 09:02:01 PM »
Hey everyone! I'm Carolyn, and I'm new here :) I'm hoping to attend SDCC this year on Sunday of that weekend! I've lived in Southern California most of my life and went to college in San Diego but I've never been able to attend the con. Hoping this is my year!

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #1121 on: March 17, 2017, 07:34:29 AM »
Great to see you, Adorablepancreas!

I gather you are trying for a badge in open registration? Make sure to check out our buying groups (you'll see them in the SDCC Badges section of the forum) to increase your chances of a successful badge buy!

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1122 on: March 17, 2017, 03:24:38 PM »
Thanks for the welcome, [member=317]Zero[/member]! :)

Yup, my user name is a Pokemon reference hahaha. I loved the series as a kid, and recently got into it again with Pokemon Go.

Masters in Forensic Science? That's awesome! That honestly sounds like a really interesting field of study. Do they let you guys practice on real cases?

Thanks for the link to the meet ups! I recently went to a convention and met some amazing people, so I'm definitely open to meeting people/making friends at SDCC. I think the great thing is that most people already have shared interests.

Yup, joined a buying group that my friend recommended, so all set there. *fingers crossed*

So I've heard there's a crazy amount of events that happen at once, and that it's hard to narrow down what to do. But if I had to choose my top events, I'd say anything Star Wars related, and definitely any Supergirl, Wynonna Earp, OUAT, or Walking Dead panels.

Awesome!  I love Pokemon too, but I don't play Pokemon Go. (Not yet anyways, ha ha.)

No, they don't let students or interns practice on real cases, but if you have an internship in a crime lab, you can join in on training sessions and observe experienced criminalists do casework.  I have learned so much so far.

Very cool!  I hope you get to see the events you're interested in at the con, and I wish you the best of luck in the next badge sale! ^__^/

Hey everyone! I'm Carolyn, and I'm new here :) I'm hoping to attend SDCC this year on Sunday of that weekend! I've lived in Southern California most of my life and went to college in San Diego but I've never been able to attend the con. Hoping this is my year!

Welcome to the forums, Carolyn!  Glad to have you join us in our community!

I hope you got a chance to browse the forums and check out the open registration buying group thread if you haven't already.

What are you looking to see or experience at Comic-Con?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 03:28:27 PM by Zero »

Offline frenchyann

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #1123 on: March 27, 2017, 05:43:37 PM »
Hello, I am Yann and i am french :))
I have attended SDCC last year and the year before.
Last year i discovered your forum but didnt have time to register before the opem registration :/
This year i hope this time i am not too late :)

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #1124 on: March 27, 2017, 06:06:06 PM »
Bonjour, Yann!

Have you already registered for a member ID? You need to have registered by March 24 (last Friday) to be eligible for open registration on April 8.