Author Topic: Hall H advice and tips  (Read 23411 times)

Offline ironmima

• Exhibit Hall
  • I am gold-titanium alloy.
  • Liked: 43
Re: Hall H advice and tips
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2015, 01:04:55 AM »
Wasn't there some sort of controversy during the Hall H line for Saturday panels last year? I've read that people started lining up even before Friday panels were over, which was against Con rules, and that some bloggers pressured security to make the lines legitimate? And this made the lining up process even more complicated and tiring for everyone.

Offline DaveG

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 460
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2015, 05:36:03 AM »
Yeah, it seemed like there was a lot of drama around the Saturday lines last year.  All I know is that I left Hall H in the middle of the Game of Thrones panel on Friday and ended up behind a couple hundred other people.  By the time the GOT panel was done, the line had already doubled (and that's before they let all their friends join them).  That's another reason I wish they'd hand out wristbands right away.  By the time they did start handing them out the number in front of me grew from around 200 to 500.  They gave people WAY too much time to get on the phone and text everyone they knew to join them.  Very frustrating.

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
  • Formally When Nerds Attack
    • You Fancy Me Mad
  • Liked: 437
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2015, 05:58:51 AM »
Yes. There was drama last year.

Offline dancetomusic

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 115
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2015, 12:09:51 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
That's another reason I wish they'd hand out wristbands right away.  By the time they did start handing them out the number in front of me grew from around 200 to 500.  They gave people WAY too much time to get on the phone and text everyone they knew to join them.  Very frustrating.
I think it would get even worse if they did decide to hand out wristbands right as you lineup.

You could go get all of your group to stand in line for a minute at noon on Friday, instantly get a wristband, and then technically only need 1 person from your group to stay in line at all times until Saturday morning.
So that would be way too easy. You could be walking around doing whatever you wanted on Friday with a Saturday Hall H Group A wristband on, as long as you've got a friend holding your spot for you. That would encourage a lot more people to do it, and make the wristbands go a lot faster. And the line would still end up doubling or more as it gets later, I think that's unavoidable.

I think it's smart that they wait until after the day's programming is over to handout wristbands. But, I do think there should be some more staff involvement in making and maintaining the official Hall H line - no matter how early it starts - so that there is less drama over all that.

Offline FlamedLiquid

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 42
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2015, 12:44:07 PM »
I think it would get even worse if they did decide to hand out wristbands right as you lineup.

You could go get all of your group to stand in line for a minute at noon on Friday, instantly get a wristband, and then technically only need 1 person from your group to stay in line at all times until Saturday morning.
So that would be way too easy. You could be walking around doing whatever you wanted on Friday with a Saturday Hall H Group A wristband on, as long as you've got a friend holding your spot for you. That would encourage a lot more people to do it, and make the wristbands go a lot faster. And the line would still end up doubling or more as it gets later, I think that's unavoidable.

I think it's smart that they wait until after the day's programming is over to handout wristbands. But, I do think there should be some more staff involvement in making and maintaining the official Hall H line - no matter how early it starts - so that there is less drama over all that.

Pretty much this. If you're going to wait in line then I don't see the issue of waiting a while to get your wristband. Atleast you now get the leeway of getting to leave for a while once you get your wristband. I think it worked out ok for what it was last year but wasn't expecting the line to be so long before 8 pm Friday.

Offline semigeekgirl

• Fulfillment Room
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 1131
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2015, 12:51:53 PM »
I do think they should hand out wristbands as you get in line - but I also think they should NOT allow an official line to form until the previous day's panels have finished.

I know that's very difficult for them to do, maybe impossible, but I remain convinced that unless they manage to do that, people will be lining up for Saturday on Wednesday within five years.

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
  • Formally When Nerds Attack
    • You Fancy Me Mad
  • Liked: 437
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2015, 01:01:30 PM »
SDCC is their own worse enemy when it comes to rules because they never enforce them.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 5727
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2015, 01:47:29 PM »
SDCC is their own worse enemy when it comes to rules because they never enforce them.

I agree. That's the part that drives me nuts.

Offline ironmima

• Exhibit Hall
  • I am gold-titanium alloy.
  • Liked: 43
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2015, 05:28:14 PM »
With the Civil War panel (plus maybe the new Spider-Man), it's going to be crazy at Hall H this year. And with Star Wars, it's going to be chaos.

Offline perc2100

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 466
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2015, 09:32:20 AM »
Hall H makes it easy to stay all day. They sell food in there and have bathrooms in there.
Classifying that stuff as "food" seems tenuous at best.  Some of the worst pizza EVER (I've always packed my own food for Hall H days)

Offline perc2100

• Fulfillment Room
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2015, 09:39:17 AM »
If you're going to wait in line then I don't see the issue of waiting a while to get your wristband. Atleast you now get the leeway of getting to leave for a while once you get your wristband. I think it worked out ok for what it was last year but wasn't expecting the line to be so long before 8 pm Friday.
IMO...

Once you get a wristband, especially the way they did it last year where the bands were 'tiered' based on how far back you were, it is absolutely asinine to have to wait in line overnight.  I'm 100% fine waiting in line until late evening/night to get a wristband, but why do I need to wait in line and sleep outside when I've already got a wristband?  If I truly don't care about a primo seat in Hall H, and just want to be there to see footage, it would be nice to wait for a wristband, be back in line by a specific time the next morning, cap the line to ONLY people with wristbands, and then let people take their changes with seating.  Let the people at the front who have the "A" wristbands stay the night and try to get the primo seats: or anyone else who wants to try to get awesome seats.  Those who don't care about being able to see RFJ up close can show up in the morning with our wristbands and get whatever seats in the back that are left.  It would take slightly more work on CCI's part, but I think it would be optimal for all. 

Offline perc2100

• Fulfillment Room
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2015, 09:39:59 AM »
So, so (frustratingly) true

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 5727
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2015, 09:40:32 AM »
Classifying that stuff as "food" seems tenuous at best.  Some of the worst pizza EVER (I've always packed my own food for Hall H days)

I don't think it's that bad. It's Freschetta pizza, and tastes just like the Freschetta you get from the grocery store freezer and then bake in your oven. So not the best in the world, but fine enough if you're hungry.

The prices make me faint, but I pay them every year. My one day in Hall H, I'm getting myself some pizza.... ;)

Offline perc2100

• Fulfillment Room
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2015, 09:42:59 AM »
I do think they should hand out wristbands as you get in line - but I also think they should NOT allow an official line to form until the previous day's panels have finished.

I know that's very difficult for them to do, maybe impossible, but I remain convinced that unless they manage to do that, people will be lining up for Saturday on Wednesday within five years.
If that long.  That was something that really annoyed me last year.  Besides the absolute stupidity of getting in line 24 hours before a panel (and thus missing out on a full day of doing stuff), the fact that CCI seemingly just let them do it is stupid.  If CCI sets the rules, they should enforce them: even if it means "rules are in place for the protection of all: violation of rules will mean loss of SDCCI badge." 

Someone DIED several years back because they were violating CCI rules and CCI was not enforcing them!  CCI just needs to simply follow their own rules before things get (even more) way out of hand

Offline perc2100

• Fulfillment Room
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2015, 09:46:25 AM »
With the Civil War panel (plus maybe the new Spider-Man), it's going to be crazy at Hall H this year. And with Star Wars, it's going to be chaos.

Not to mention WB/DC craziness (SUPERMAN v BATMAN/JUSTICE LEAGUE) on top of whatever else we don't even know yet!  WB has 'gone big' the last several years, and with so much on the line with DC they will have a HUGE panel again PLUS the likely Fox X-MEN: AGE OF APOCALYPSE panel!  Saturday will potentially be a day chock-full of quality comicbook movie panels ON TOP OF all of the other potential cool stuff