Author Topic: Hot weather and cosplay  (Read 6411 times)

Offline MyNameIsRinoa

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 27
Hot weather and cosplay
« on: April 10, 2016, 08:59:07 PM »
So question... is cosplay all about 100% devotion and potential suffering because weather is too hot? Or am I too wimpy for thinking I only want summer-appropriate costume for summer cons? I've seen people sweating oceans due to being covered in non-breathing armor, not being able to see well, etc., etc. Worth it?

Offline dcuodust

• Hall H
  • To me, my board!
  • Liked: 405
Re: Hot weather and cosplay
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 07:11:07 AM »
As long as you are hydrating yourself and not staying out in the sun for long stretches, you should be fine. San Diego in July, during the daytime, when the sun is at it's peak, is really hot. A lot depends on how body handles the heat. For example, I am awful with heat, I get sun migraines in Toronto. I am always making sure that I have a bottle of water, a hat, and not staying out in the sun for long stretches. Also, remember to eat properly. A good breakfast goes a long way for those long hot days.
What are you, Worf? Do you tremble and quake with fear at the approach of combat? Hoping to talk your way out of a fight like a Human? Or do you hear the cry of the warrior, calling you to battle, calling you to glory like a Klingon?
- Gowron, Chancellor of the Klingon High Council

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 05:56:42 PM »

Offline Angology

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 07:27:45 AM »
I did a simple cosplay at Dragon Con (Labor Day weekend in downtown Atlanta-hot and humid) that involved a sweatshirt. It was definitely uncomfortable, but I tried to stay indoors that day-which is a little easier at Dragon Con. I do remember thinking I couldn't imagine how some of the people in the armor can stand it.
I come from Texas-so San Diego doesn't seem hot to me (although the last couple of years it seemed hotter than previous years), but I am with you on the summer appropriate cosplay. However, if you are passionate about the character and plan well-it probably would be worth it. Many cons are in the summer, so some simply have no choice if they want to show off their handiwork.
Ang

Offline BuzLtBeer

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 10:24:29 AM »
I thought a lot about this, in June my son and I are going to the Superman celebration.  I'd love to use neoprene to make our costumes but I think even the thinnest neoprene is going to be very hot.
Photos from C2E2 2016
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Karoshi-Con 2016

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
  • Formally When Nerds Attack
    • You Fancy Me Mad
  • Liked: 538
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 12:13:07 PM »
I've seen numerous cosplayers talk about having seasonal costumes, so I see nothing wrong with it.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 12:54:57 PM »
The real problem is that the temperature changes, depending upon whether you are indoors or outdoors. Yes, during the day outside, you will want something light. But inside the convention center (particularly the exhibit hall in the morning, or Hall H or Ballroom 20 anytime) it is *cold*! They crank up that air conditioning to an uncomfortable level. The best solution is having something you can remove (like a cape or jacket).

Offline khaoticnerd

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 07:32:22 PM »
I cosplayed for the first time at last years SDCC as Nick Fury. Being from Chicago, I knew I wouldn't be prepared for San Diego summer heat so I opted to leave his trademark trench coat at home. Even without it the heat was still pretty bad but manageable. I think if you're inside the hall most of the time you should be fine in pretty much anything.

Offline yoahrene

• Sails Pavilion
    • Once More, With Ling-Ling
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2016, 02:31:22 PM »
Haha. Glad to see other people posting about this. One of my first cosplays ever was a form fitting full-body suit and a full face of makeup (Illyria from Angel). I took it to SDCC '13. I WAS MISERABLE. I was only able to stand being at the convention for maybe 3 hours before I had head back to the hotel and get changed. Needless to say, I think twice about my cosplay choices now.
Buffy will patrol tonight.

Offline sisustylegirl

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 55
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2016, 03:15:53 PM »
Aaaaand this is exactly why when I cosplay as Ursula, I don't use body paint to make my skin purple.  My biggest fear is sweating it off under my arms or rubbing against someone and leaving a big purple mark.   ;)

Offline sylent_asassin

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 200
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2016, 12:54:50 PM »
You have to pick your spots with regard to costumes and seasons. I've gone to San Diego for the last 10 or so years and the weather has always been warm (not really hot) and humid, which is the worst when you're in costume. A couple of years ago, it was so humid that when I walked outside, it felt like walking into warm mist, and when I walked back into the convention center, I would sweat profusely until my body acclimated itself to the temperature change. I had to start carrying a bandana to wipe the sweat AND limit going outside until the sun went down.

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2016, 01:15:35 PM »
Well, it was 90 here in SD yesterday, so heaven help us all in July.
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline jazzyj

• Gaming Lounge
  • Cheese and Carb Enthusiast
  • Liked: 302
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2016, 11:32:17 AM »
If you are wearing a full armor costume, I would suggest investing in a cold collar. You can place it in the freezer and wear it around your neck to keep yourself cool (also you can place it along your spine to keep your back cool as well). I'll be wearing one for SDCC since I'm dressing up as Kylo Ren and fortunately his scarf can hide the collar.

Offline angi

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 73
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2016, 11:15:03 AM »
I'm going to do Rick and Lori Grimes with the BF this year. Our compromise on his rick is no cowboy boots and Rick's dirty white undershirt.