Author Topic: SDCC 2017 Volunteering Thread  (Read 62288 times)

Online marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
Re: SDCC 2017 Volunteering Thread
« Reply #135 on: March 13, 2017, 10:32:10 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
When you sign up during Volunteer Registration, in the past, there is a check box you click if you are available for a Pre-Con volunteer shift. About 2 weeks iirc before Con they will send emails to all the people who checked that box and the email will contain a link to a Google Doc that you then go to and enter your availability for Pre-Con. It will likes Mon, Tue and Wed and then blocks of time they need people during those days. You enter all your are available for and submit. Then they assign those shifts on a first submitted, first assigned basis. About a week before Con then you will get a simple email with your Pre-Con assignment. It will tell you the time to report and you just show up and they will then shuffle you to whatever you have been assigned for, which you won't know until you show up.

I've had pre-con shifts the past two years and it's nice to get one done and over with, but last year was a bit of madness b/c my shift was on Wednesday at 11am and the line was SO FULL of people just lining up to get a shift for Thursday I almost missed my shift b/c apparently they yelled for people with a shift in the next hour and I couldn't hear it. I stood in that line for an hour and finally at 11am I went to someone and told them I have a shift that supposed to start RIGHT NOW and they pulled me to the front where I was checked in and sent to another line that was moving slow too. At the end I was 30 min "late" for my shift but it wasn't my fault as I had arrived over an hour early. I don't know that I would do a Wednesday shift again b/c of this. Or if I do, be a lot more vocal and pro-active b/c they can be very disorganized and if you are waiting for someone to tell you what to do, DONT.

More great tips...thank you!
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline Jonathan

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 338
« Reply #136 on: March 14, 2017, 01:56:03 PM »
When you sign up during Volunteer Registration, in the past, there is a check box you click if you are available for a Pre-Con volunteer shift. About 2 weeks iirc before Con they will send emails to all the people who checked that box and the email will contain a link to a Google Doc that you then go to and enter your availability for Pre-Con. It will likes Mon, Tue and Wed and then blocks of time they need people during those days. You enter all your are available for and submit. Then they assign those shifts on a first submitted, first assigned basis. About a week before Con then you will get a simple email with your Pre-Con assignment. It will tell you the time to report and you just show up and they will then shuffle you to whatever you have been assigned for, which you won't know until you show up.

I've had pre-con shifts the past two years and it's nice to get one done and over with, but last year was a bit of madness b/c my shift was on Wednesday at 11am and the line was SO FULL of people just lining up to get a shift for Thursday I almost missed my shift b/c apparently they yelled for people with a shift in the next hour and I couldn't hear it. I stood in that line for an hour and finally at 11am I went to someone and told them I have a shift that supposed to start RIGHT NOW and they pulled me to the front where I was checked in and sent to another line that was moving slow too. At the end I was 30 min "late" for my shift but it wasn't my fault as I had arrived over an hour early. I don't know that I would do a Wednesday shift again b/c of this. Or if I do, be a lot more vocal and pro-active b/c they can be very disorganized and if you are waiting for someone to tell you what to do, DONT.

The lines are always crazy, Wednesday or otherwise. I wouldn't suggest basing it off of that negative experience. I always suggest people do pre-con shifts if their schedule allows for it. To me they are so fun and less stressful. I've met and made a ton of close friends now due to them. Obviously, we even met because of it. I think when we met, I was still sane and normal, and probably still in "fun" mode.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #137 on: Today at 10:57:35 AM »

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #137 on: March 14, 2017, 03:52:27 PM »
The lines are always crazy, Wednesday or otherwise. I wouldn't suggest basing it off of that negative experience. I always suggest people do pre-con shifts if their schedule allows for it. To me they are so fun and less stressful. I've met and made a ton of close friends now due to them. Obviously, we even met because of it. I think when we met, I was still sane and normal, and probably still in "fun" mode.
Hopefully I get to work with you this year!
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline Legend_of_Melda

• Exhibit Hall
  • Unleash the bats
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #138 on: March 27, 2017, 10:22:07 AM »
I have been volunteering for more than 5 years and i love it. I'm not too picky when it comes to jobs, my one request is to not to do line management. I'm too much if a pushover and if someone wants to give me a hard time i am going to crumble. I've seen some attendees get out of line when they are not allowed into lines. So i'll just stick to everything else.

Offline Actrs12B

• Sails Pavilion
    • Friendly Computer Help
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #139 on: March 28, 2017, 09:42:48 AM »
Have any priority volunteers received their email yet? I keep in touch with two other returning volunteers and none of us have received the priority volunteer email yet, but at least two of us have received the open registration email.

Offline Mario Wario

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
  • Crazy-Town Banana-Pants!
  • Liked: 684
« Reply #140 on: March 28, 2017, 01:01:47 PM »
Have any priority volunteers received their email yet? I keep in touch with two other returning volunteers and none of us have received the priority volunteer email yet, but at least two of us have received the open registration email.
Nothing for me as well. It could happen before Open Reg but I'm thinking after.
Twitter: @ScottyTheWise

2014: SDCC, LBCC
2015: WC, SWCA, WW Sac., D23, LBCC, Comikaze
2016: SVCC, WC, SDCC
2017: ECCC, WC, SVCC, D23, SDCC
2018: WC, SVCC, E3, SDCC
2019: WC, SDCC, D23
2022: SWCA, SDCC, D23
2023: SDCC

Offline Actrs12B

• Sails Pavilion
    • Friendly Computer Help
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #141 on: March 28, 2017, 02:16:42 PM »
Nothing for me as well. It could happen before Open Reg but I'm thinking after.

Thank you. I have seen a few posts on Comic-Con's Facebook page about priority volunteer registration as well. It looks like a lot of people are confused that the open registration appears to be happening first when it is normally the other way around.

Offline SchoolboyQ

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 61
« Reply #142 on: April 05, 2017, 06:39:23 PM »
@SD_Comic_Con volunteer interest email going out. Set for april 24th.

Offline Mario Wario

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
  • Crazy-Town Banana-Pants!
  • Liked: 684
« Reply #143 on: April 05, 2017, 06:50:51 PM »
But what about returning volunteer reg? I'm guessing it's before that date but come on! At least say something about it CCI...
Twitter: @ScottyTheWise

2014: SDCC, LBCC
2015: WC, SWCA, WW Sac., D23, LBCC, Comikaze
2016: SVCC, WC, SDCC
2017: ECCC, WC, SVCC, D23, SDCC
2018: WC, SVCC, E3, SDCC
2019: WC, SDCC, D23
2022: SWCA, SDCC, D23
2023: SDCC

Offline ToryRoxx

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 30
« Reply #144 on: April 05, 2017, 07:30:42 PM »
I got my email for interest list  :)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #145 on: April 05, 2017, 07:36:24 PM »
@SD_Comic_Con volunteer interest email going out. Set for april 24th.

it's interesting that they sent our an email to the interest list but not to the returning volunteers. I have to think they'll be sending and email to the returning vol people very soon.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Mike

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 27
« Reply #146 on: April 05, 2017, 07:51:13 PM »
it's interesting that they sent our an email to the interest list but not to the returning volunteers. I have to think they'll be sending and email to the returning vol people very soon.
Yeah everything is all mixed up this year. Expect the unexpected is all I've learned LOL

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Offline Angology

• Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #147 on: April 05, 2017, 08:02:07 PM »
Calendar link added-let me know if there is a better wording (shorter would be great).
Ang

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #148 on: April 05, 2017, 08:08:08 PM »
Calendar link added-let me know if there is a better wording (shorter would be great).

CCI uses Priority List (returning) and Interest List (new); maybe drop the word from? :)

Offline Angology

• Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #149 on: April 05, 2017, 08:10:23 PM »

CCI uses Priority List (returning) and Interest List (new); maybe drop the word from? :)
That works! I will go with their wording. Thanks! I will use Priority List when they post that date.
Ang