Author Topic: SDCC 2017 Volunteering Thread  (Read 62285 times)

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
Re: SDCC 2017 Volunteering Thread
« Reply #255 on: April 27, 2017, 05:37:09 PM »
Well, I guess this was the first domino to fall.
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline Mario Wario

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
  • Crazy-Town Banana-Pants!
  • Liked: 684
« Reply #256 on: April 28, 2017, 12:02:51 PM »
It finally closed moments ago.
Twitter: @ScottyTheWise

2014: SDCC, LBCC
2015: WC, SWCA, WW Sac., D23, LBCC, Comikaze
2016: SVCC, WC, SDCC
2017: ECCC, WC, SVCC, D23, SDCC
2018: WC, SVCC, E3, SDCC
2019: WC, SDCC, D23
2022: SWCA, SDCC, D23
2023: SDCC

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #257 on: Today at 02:01:07 AM »

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #257 on: April 28, 2017, 12:03:32 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
i dont think so
I put my son on the interest list even tho he has no intention of volunteering (17 year old smh)
I never filled out the forum for him and i just signed into his account on a completely different computer so it's not cookies.

is there anyone else on the interest list who hasn't gone to the page?

Volunteer Registration Closed.

Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #258 on: April 28, 2017, 12:08:00 PM »
It finally closed moments ago.
agreed that's what my son's acct indicates too
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #259 on: April 28, 2017, 06:35:46 PM »
It good to have places to ask questions and i know it like months or weeks away but i try plan ahead so way ready when it comes around to head down to volunteer. when is it best to be at the volunteer room to check in cause first time doing so and wanna try be ready incase can get a slot for that day and enjoy the con while i wait for shift to check back early and on time.

Offline Mario Wario

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
« Reply #260 on: April 28, 2017, 07:32:43 PM »
It good to have places to ask questions and i know it like months or weeks away but i try plan ahead so way ready when it comes around to head down to volunteer. when is it best to be at the volunteer room to check in cause first time doing so and wanna try be ready incase can get a slot for that day and enjoy the con while i wait for shift to check back early and on time.
Just get there when you can/when it is open to check-in. Want to line up sooner? That's fine, just make sure it's ok to do so. After that, getting a shift, you will get a card that will tell you what time to return. Just do your best once the shift begins--that's it.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 07:50:03 PM by Mario Wario »

Offline stormphoenix

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #261 on: April 30, 2017, 05:17:26 AM »
Hello!

This is my first time at SDCC, and I'm super excited! I have been trying to get a badge via GEN REG for four years with no success. I read about volunteering and decided to try for both GEN REG and volunteering; nothing in GEN REG, but becoming a volunteer happened! I'm freakin' out, and have many questions. Thankfully, I found this place; thank y'all so much!

However, I do have questions unanswered:

- While volunteering, am I allowed to take any swag? Meaning, if there's free stuff being given out, am I allowed to take it or no?

- I saw in the disclosure that no pictures can be taken of anything associated with SDCC (including badges). How can I document my experience?

I might have more questions later (sorry, I'm anxious), but for now any help y'all may provide would be appreciated. I want things to go smoothly and to be able to return to do this again; sounds like major fun!

Thank you in advance!

SP

Offline Mario Wario

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
« Reply #262 on: April 30, 2017, 08:18:29 AM »
Hello!

This is my first time at SDCC, and I'm super excited! I have been trying to get a badge via GEN REG for four years with no success. I read about volunteering and decided to try for both GEN REG and volunteering; nothing in GEN REG, but becoming a volunteer happened! I'm freakin' out, and have many questions. Thankfully, I found this place; thank y'all so much!

- While volunteering, am I allowed to take any swag? Meaning, if there's free stuff being given out, am I allowed to take it or no?

- I saw in the disclosure that no pictures can be taken of anything associated with SDCC (including badges). How can I document my experience?

I might have more questions later (sorry, I'm anxious), but for now any help y'all may provide would be appreciated. I want things to go smoothly and to be able to return to do this again; sounds like major fun!

Thank you in advance!

SP

1. Do that before or after your shift. Anyway, you will be too busy with your shift, so focus on that later (or again, before).

2. When in doubt, do it before or after your shift, but you can talk about your experience. I see why not--as in, it's not Area 51 stuff, unless noted.

Overall, just relax; no reason to freak out about it. But I get it, it's the unknown, I was there before; however, they are not asking anyone to do anything hard. Just do your best/follow the rules--that's it.

Btw, have fun being at SDCC!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 08:32:07 AM by Mario Wario »

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #263 on: April 30, 2017, 08:45:30 AM »
[member=7004]stormphoenix[/member]

every time i've volunteered there has been a place to store my gear.

the idea behind 'no photo's' is a security but also, your their to work & most of the time you will be actually doing stuff- handing out bags, organizing, holding signs.  I believe there is also a rule against using your phone-
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Mario Wario

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
« Reply #264 on: April 30, 2017, 09:03:26 AM »
[member=7004]stormphoenix[/member]

every time i've volunteered there has been a place to store my gear.

the idea behind 'no photo's' is a security but also, your their to work & most of the time you will be actually doing stuff- handing out bags, organizing, holding signs.  I believe there is also a rule against using your phone-
Yep! Now I will say that they, the staff members I met, do recommend leaving anything important at your hotel room or, if possible, have it on you. All about playing it safe and using your cell phone, it depends on the shift. For example, helping people that need it with any ticket drawing in Sails, you will use your phone to be in contact with the person you're helping. Also to be in contact with a staff member in case your shift is about to end, if the drawing hasn't happened yet.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 09:12:48 AM by Mario Wario »

Offline indiglow

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 51
« Reply #265 on: April 30, 2017, 09:08:50 AM »
Hello!

Thank you in advance!

SP

I've never worked the swag room, but I did hand out bags last year on Sunday. I think it just depends on the day too, because it was the last day of the con, things were more lax so after our shift was over, we were allowed to pick a bag we wanted, which was nice. I've heard similar experiences with the swag room either on the last day or at the end of a day too.

I think the badge thing is more of don't get your info stolen and stuff (like people who take pics of their badges and post online) thing.

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #266 on: April 30, 2017, 12:57:15 PM »

I wouldn't take anything while on your actual volunteer shift -- UNLESS the shift leader tells you can (i.e. at the end of your shift.) But if you are on your free day/free time, go for it.
Same with taking pictures.
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #267 on: April 30, 2017, 03:43:50 PM »
I can see if ur on the clock or on the job doing ur job then u wait till after or before ur job stat or maybe last day and ask what u can have so to speak , but as a first timer as well volunteer i learned form others to ask first if u can do something if u not sure at time so u dont ruin a chance to volunteer next year. that is how i see it so to speak.

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #268 on: May 01, 2017, 10:08:01 AM »
I can see if ur on the clock or on the job doing ur job then u wait till after or before ur job stat or maybe last day and ask what u can have so to speak , but as a first timer as well volunteer i learned form others to ask first if u can do something if u not sure at time so u dont ruin a chance to volunteer next year. that is how i see it so to speak.

That's basically it.  If you have questions during your shift, you can ask one of the staff members in charge of the area you are assigned to.  Or, if an attendee asks you a question that you can't answer, flag down a staff member to help and deal with the issue (so they can give that person the correct answer, instead of you trying to come up with one that you may not know).  For the most part, they give you instructions on what to do, so you'll be fine.

As for any swag, Mario covered it earlier.  Before or after your shift, you may be able to ask one of the staff, but remember that you're not there for swag or whatever it is they may have for attendees or other badge types.  You're there to provided support and help for the department you are assiged to as well as see a small glimpse of how it works behind-the-scenes while working to earn a badge for that day. 

Do a good job, and sometimes, the staff you work with may end up rewarding you if they see you working hard to help them.

^__^d

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #269 on: May 01, 2017, 07:23:18 PM »
Sorry if not said sooner, but thanx for all and any advice past, present and any future post.