Author Topic: SDCC 2017 Hotel Discussion, July 20th to July 23rd  (Read 293467 times)

Offline citizenmilton

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 75
Re: SDCC 2017 Hotel Discussion, July 20th to July 23rd
« Reply #195 on: March 17, 2017, 09:33:29 AM »
Last year was the first time I ever participated in the "waitlist" process. One of the big issues was that the time we got a chance to switch to a waitlist option, the date for cancelling an original reservation had already passed.

My group lucked out, we found a better hotel on the waitlist, and we eventually were able to cancel the previous reservation AND get a refund. However, that process was a nightmare, and they made it seem like the refund might not occur.

This gap between the "no more refunds" date and the "waitlist" date - is that something that happens every year? Or was last year just a disorganized mess?

Offline dkd

• Hall H
  • Liked: 632
« Reply #196 on: March 17, 2017, 10:42:09 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
They have never had a clean hotel lottery, and it wasn't helped last year by the last minute discussion of the 'double lottery'. Hopefully this year they will have worked out those kinks.. but my hopes aren't very high on that, given my past experience.  :(

Frankly, if it's random anyway, I wish they would just let us fill out our request at our leisure and submit it during a several day window for submission.  Then, they would randomize all the submissions and send us our results.

The live randomization of the badge sale makes sense because you buy the badge on the spot.  But a live randomization while you are waiting on the computer when all you are doing is submitting your choices makes no sense.  It would only make sense if you are making your reservation on the spot.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #197 on: Today at 04:28:02 PM »

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #197 on: March 17, 2017, 10:46:01 AM »
Frankly, if it's random anyway, I wish they would just let us fill out our request at our leisure and submit it during a several day window for submission.  Then, they would randomize all the submissions and send us our results.

The live randomization of the badge sale makes sense because you buy the badge on the spot.  But a live randomization while you are waiting on the computer when all you are doing is submitting your choices makes no sense.  It would only make sense if you are making your reservation on the spot.

You make a really good point, Dkd. They should either have randomization on the spot for live booking, or a long submission window with results given later (like they now do for parking).

Offline SteveD

• Administrator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1680
« Reply #198 on: March 17, 2017, 10:47:00 AM »
Last year was the first time I ever participated in the "waitlist" process. One of the big issues was that the time we got a chance to switch to a waitlist option, the date for cancelling an original reservation had already passed.

My group lucked out, we found a better hotel on the waitlist, and we eventually were able to cancel the previous reservation AND get a refund. However, that process was a nightmare, and they made it seem like the refund might not occur.

This gap between the "no more refunds" date and the "waitlist" date - is that something that happens every year? Or was last year just a disorganized mess?
If you outright cancel your room reservation on their website after the "no more refunds" date, they will, most likely, not give you a refund.

But, as far as I know, they have always let you cancel a reservation at any time as long as you booked the new room through them also, including through the waitlist or open sale.
This excludes Early-Bird rooms which are non-refundable.

You have to be sure to follow their cancellation and refund instructions exactly.
Always book your new reservation first and get a new confirmation number.
Then fill out the cancellation form (new way) or reply to the new confirmation e-mail with a request to cancel old reservation (old way), or both (couldn't hurt).
If you cancel your old reservation through the website instead, you will most likely never get a refund.

Of course, this may all depend on who you are dealing with and how they interpret the cancellation process, but, if you follow the rules, you should have a good argument at getting your refund back.
Sounds like you may have just gotten the wrong CSR.

Offline SteveD

• Administrator
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #199 on: March 17, 2017, 10:51:08 AM »

I've wondered about this also.  There is really no need to have a live sale if everything is random.
Just let us fill out a form, or send in an email, process the requests in a random order and send us the results.
There's absolutely no back and forth for this sale, so why even try to make it live?
Maybe some day.

Offline tsnyder

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 295
« Reply #200 on: March 17, 2017, 12:11:15 PM »
I've wondered about this also.  There is really no need to have a live sale if everything is random.
Just let us fill out a form, or send in an email, process the requests in a random order and send us the results.
There's absolutely no back and forth for this sale, so why even try to make it live?
Maybe some day.

Mind blown!   ???  It makes so much sense................it will never happen.

Offline MarvelGurl

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 273
« Reply #201 on: March 17, 2017, 02:45:20 PM »
I'm thinking of bringing my pet to SDCC this year. While I'm gone most of the day my mom goes back to the hotel room frequently so he wouldn't be alone all day and would be able to be taken out for bathroom breaks. I looked up the pet friendly hotels on the SDCC block but has anyone had any personal experience with bringing a pet to SDCC?

Offline Angie

• Ballroom 20
    • The NerdyGirl's Blog
  • Liked: 200
« Reply #202 on: March 17, 2017, 02:54:57 PM »
I'm thinking of bringing my pet to SDCC this year. While I'm gone most of the day my mom goes back to the hotel room frequently so he wouldn't be alone all day and would be able to be taken out for bathroom breaks. I looked up the pet friendly hotels on the SDCC block but has anyone had any personal experience with bringing a pet to SDCC?

I brought my dog in 2014. I stayed at Hotel Solamar which is a very pet-friendly hotel. You just need to let them know upon check-in that you have a dog and they give you a door tag that indicates a pet is in the room so the maid knows not to go in.

My dog is anxious, so she did bark when I left but I never heard any complaints about it. It was a little overwhelming for her because of all the people, but she was actually fine in the room when we were gone. I only walked her up to the convention center once because it was so hot. Otherwise I just brought her out to the grassy patch in front of the hotel to go to the bathroom.

If you have any other questions I'd be happy to answer.

Offline jristen

• Ballroom 20
  • stardust and stuff
  • Liked: 760
« Reply #203 on: March 17, 2017, 04:09:20 PM »

I haven't brought my dog (though I've considered it many times!). There's a doggy day care about a block away from the Hotel Indigo (which is also pet friendly) that I use up here in LA as well that is very good. That might be an option if you can't run back to the room during the day! :)

Offline MarvelGurl

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 273
« Reply #204 on: March 17, 2017, 05:31:57 PM »
Thanks to you both. What's the name of the doggy day care? I live in LA as well and would like other doggy day care options other than Petsmart.I really like the Marriott Gaslamp last year, but if they're not pet friendly than I have always wanted to try Hotel Indigo. I'll also look into Solamar, but that might be pricey?

Offline jristen

• Ballroom 20
  • stardust and stuff
  • Liked: 760
« Reply #205 on: March 17, 2017, 05:58:35 PM »
Thanks to you both. What's the name of the doggy day care? I live in LA as well and would like other doggy day care options other than Petsmart.I really like the Marriott Gaslamp last year, but if they're not pet friendly than I have always wanted to try Hotel Indigo. I'll also look into Solamar, but that might be pricey?

oh god. If you want LA options, we'll be here all day :) I live on the west side now so I use CityDog on Sepulveda/Santa Monica. But, honestly, there are tons of options you can find on Yelp.

Offline Angie

• Ballroom 20
    • The NerdyGirl's Blog
  • Liked: 200
« Reply #206 on: March 17, 2017, 07:12:41 PM »

I am looking at the hotel pdf from last year and the Marriott Gaslamp is not pet friendly. Some hotels are "pet friendly" but they charge you extra money per night or a pet deposit. Hotel Solamar does not charge any extra for a pet.

I'm not sure what you consider to be pricey. For 2016 Solamar is showing $285/1 person, $305/2 persons. To me that's on par with all the other hotels.

A quick look at Hotel Indigo has this as their pet policy:

"Pets Allowed
Guide Dogs, Service Animals Allowed
No deposit required. Limit 2 pets per room. Guest responsible for all behavior or damages by pets. Pets are not to be left unattended. Room will not be serviced if pet is left unattended. Valid cell number required in the event of noise complaints"

I honestly would try for Solamar or Palomar, which is owned by the same company and looks to have the same policy.

Offline eagler268

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #207 on: March 18, 2017, 02:03:40 AM »
I've just seen that the Residence Inn Gaslamp Quarter has rooms from 7/18 to 7/24 for $259/night

The rooms are non-cancelables but at Hotels.com they have the same dates for $432/night with free cancellation until 7/16

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login..
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 02:22:14 AM by eagler268 »

Offline SteveD

• Administrator
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #208 on: March 18, 2017, 04:23:59 AM »
I've just seen that the Residence Inn Gaslamp Quarter has rooms from 7/18 to 7/24 for $259/night

The rooms are non-cancelables but at Hotels.com they have the same dates for $432/night with free cancellation until 7/16

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login..

You have to be careful on the Marriott site as they only list the room price for the first day, not the average price over the entire stay.
Drilling down, you will see "The rate for this room changes on 07/19/17 to 519 (USD) per night"

Offline force951

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #209 on: March 20, 2017, 06:34:19 AM »
Maybe some day.

The reason is that it keeps the multiple entries as low as they can get it. If you have to keep a browser open, and be able to realize when it gets in the room and enter the info your gonna have around 16 entries max. But if you can just send in a form anytime over the course of a day then you can enter the hotel lottery hundreds of times.