Author Topic: SDCC 2017 Hotel Discussion, July 20th to July 23rd  (Read 293430 times)

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
Re: SDCC 2017 Hotel Discussion, July 20th to July 23rd
« Reply #210 on: March 20, 2017, 07:24:33 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The reason is that it keeps the multiple entries as low as they can get it. If you have to keep a browser open, and be able to realize when it gets in the room and enter the info your gonna have around 16 entries max. But if you can just send in a form anytime over the course of a day then you can enter the hotel lottery hundreds of times.

Not if.... dun dun dun.... the submission was associated with your Member ID!!!!

Offline Deathbyjackal

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 193
« Reply #211 on: March 20, 2017, 08:06:48 AM »
I agree. Imagine the stress reduction if we could simply fill out a form at our leisure with an associated Member ID. While this seems like a logical solution, chances are nothing will change with this year's hotel sale. The bigger question I have is how the timeline of remaining events will unfold on this quickly abbreviated calendar.

We've got Creative pro, Open reg, Press, Trade pros, Hotelpocalypse, and Parking to figure out! And not a whole of time left.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #212 on: Today at 07:59:02 AM »

Offline force951

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #212 on: March 20, 2017, 12:18:07 PM »
Not if.... dun dun dun.... the submission was associated with your Member ID!!!!

And there are a ton of reasons why this would be bad or hard to implement.

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #213 on: March 20, 2017, 12:55:48 PM »
And there are a ton of reasons why this would be bad or hard to implement.

We've been through this before on the forum. There are definitely people here who agree with you, but I for one am with [member=314]Transmute Jun[/member] . It doesn't need to be hard to implement (two easy ways off the top of my head: require a unique code to enter, in the same manner as Returning Registration, or make the hotel portal accessible only via the Member ID system so that you have to sign in, and are allowed only one session), and I just don't agree that it would be bad.

SDCC Unofficial Blog estimates that there are 19,500 rooms available in the block vs 130,000 attendees. The hotels are going to sell those rooms even if the pool is 'limited' to badgeholders. And they're going to sell the rest of their rooms at the higher, non-convention rate. I don't see a drawback here for them. It's also clearly not a drawback for badgeholders. So the only people at a disadvantage are those who don't have badges but come down for the offsites and other installations. I feel bad for them, but the fact remains, they are not a part of the Convention. And the discounted rates should be for Con-goers.

As CCI has moved toward requiring all classes of attendees to use member IDs (I think? Does press use member ID? I'm not sure), this makes a ton of sense. I know there are occasionally people who don't know for sure if they're attending until later (panelists and such), and that is a thornier problem, but they are a tiny minority compared to the mass of badgeholders that need rooms.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #214 on: March 20, 2017, 12:59:11 PM »
Press does have to have a Member ID as well.

I agree that the people who don't know if they have badges by the time the hotel lottery comes around is a very small pool, and CCI could easily hold back a small number of rooms for them. But this is something they have been reluctant to do, despite numerous requests.

Offline FBS

• Fulfillment Room
    • http://www.marksearby.com/
  • Liked: 510
« Reply #215 on: March 20, 2017, 01:29:11 PM »
Thanks to you both. What's the name of the doggy day care? I live in LA as well and would like other doggy day care options other than Petsmart.I really like the Marriott Gaslamp last year, but if they're not pet friendly than I have always wanted to try Hotel Indigo. I'll also look into Solamar, but that might be pricey?
Stayed at the Indigo two years ago. We didn't have a dog with us but there were several in the hotel. It was fun to see them wander through.

Offline tt7777

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 20
« Reply #216 on: March 20, 2017, 04:04:52 PM »
Is April 6 still the unofficial tentative date for hotels to go on sale?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #217 on: March 20, 2017, 04:05:59 PM »
Is April 6 still the unofficial tentative date for hotels to go on sale?

No. CCI publicly stated that this was not the date, and it is highly unlikely that open registration will have occurred by this date.

Offline Jonathan

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 338
« Reply #218 on: March 20, 2017, 09:05:08 PM »
Press does have to have a Member ID as well.

I agree that the people who don't know if they have badges by the time the hotel lottery comes around is a very small pool, and CCI could easily hold back a small number of rooms for them. But this is something they have been reluctant to do, despite numerous requests.

This is just 100% incorrect. It's not a very small pool (though it depends what your definition of small pool actually is.) I've posted before about not liking CCI holding back a small number of rooms. If CCI did that, they would have no clue which rooms from what hotels to hold back. It'd simply case more problems than it's worth. Not everyone for instance would want Omni or SD MMM. And of course, say they did that, those WITH badges will find a way to complain, stating CCI is holding back too many rooms and preventing them from accessing all the available inventory. Someone will not be happy either way.

Just know the request to do this is not beneficial for everyone. It's unfair to those who do not yet have a badge come hotel lottery time. I've stating this time and time again. I will continue to do so.

I do however agree with an earlier post of yours, I don't mind if it's tied to a Member ID. I'd rather everyone had only 1 opportunity to partake in the lottery. No extra windows, incognito, or any other garbage. Just 1 chance per person.

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #219 on: March 20, 2017, 09:52:38 PM »
With 130,000 total attendees, my definition of a very small pool would be anything less than about 2,600 people, although I realize others might disagree.

And I agree there's no way CCI would know which rooms to set aside for those people - but I'm not sure it matters. There's no way CCI can match everyone with a room they want. So, while I don't have any desire to make the late-room-needing people more disadvantaged than the main bulk of the attendees, I don't want to see them more advantaged, either. If they can only get the MMM and not the Omni, or the HBF but not the Hard Rock...I'm afraid I don't see that as a problem.

Frankly, if you offered me the opportunity to reserve, right now, ANY room in a six-block radius from Comic-Con at the negotiated convention rate, I would take it. I have specific preferences, and there are definitely hotels in that list that I'd prefer not to stay at, but I'd take it and be grateful.

I agree that limiting the hotel sale to badgeholders would be unfair to the 1-5% of people who don't know they'll be attending until quite late, and if there was a way to do it without disadvantaging those people I'd be all for it. But I do also think that it would make it fairer for the other 95% of attendees, and for me that means the good outweighs the bad. I do understand how reasonable people might feel the opposite, but this is how I see it, so I'll keep advocating for CCI to make the change. (Not that they've ever shown any inclination to do so.)

Offline Jonathan

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #220 on: March 20, 2017, 10:11:38 PM »
With 130,000 total attendees, my definition of a very small pool would be anything less than about 2,600 people, although I realize others might disagree.

And I agree there's no way CCI would know which rooms to set aside for those people - but I'm not sure it matters. There's no way CCI can match everyone with a room they want. So, while I don't have any desire to make the late-room-needing people more disadvantaged than the main bulk of the attendees, I don't want to see them more advantaged, either. If they can only get the MMM and not the Omni, or the HBF but not the Hard Rock...I'm afraid I don't see that as a problem.

Frankly, if you offered me the opportunity to reserve, right now, ANY room in a six-block radius from Comic-Con at the negotiated convention rate, I would take it. I have specific preferences, and there are definitely hotels in that list that I'd prefer not to stay at, but I'd take it and be grateful.

I agree that limiting the hotel sale to badgeholders would be unfair to the 1-5% of people who don't know they'll be attending until quite late, and if there was a way to do it without disadvantaging those people I'd be all for it. But I do also think that it would make it fairer for the other 95% of attendees, and for me that means the good outweighs the bad. I do understand how reasonable people might feel the opposite, but this is how I see it, so I'll keep advocating for CCI to make the change. (Not that they've ever shown any inclination to do so.)

Everyone fails to recognize certain sub-groups that have been mentioned ad nauseum yet nobody seems to ever value them as attendees as well. It's not about those who won't know they'll be attending until quite late, but I'd say SDCC staff members, certain VIPs and others from the industry, and I personally know there are those who are general attendees, but are not able to get their badges till very late in the process (like a few weeks prior to the Convention.) Now I'd say those groups total more than 2600 and your 1-5% figure.

I'm okay with what CCI is doing now. It gives everyone the same opportunity to get a hotel. In your example, you say the good outweigh the bad. But that means someone may not get a hotel room because they weren't able to get a badge, or not get one till later on. That's not fair to me. The system now, it's 100% equal opportunity for everyone. There is no disadvantaged class whatsoever. You, me, and everyone else will have the same (hopefully) chance of getting a hotel room. That to me is pure equality. So someone struck out and couldn't get badges, but wanted to at least join friends who did with offsite events, now cannot get a room? NOPE. That is ridiculous to me. Someone got a badge, they got lucky and were able to get it, so now you give them even more by giving them and only them access to the hotels? Where does this stop? Do you prevent people from being able to buy parking if they don't have a badge? I'm sorry, but I'm for EVERYONE. I'm not here to give an advantage to the top 95% or whatever number. I'm here wanting to give everyone the same chance.

Also, this MAY be a small number, but someone who is new and does not have a badge, comes to SDCC just to enjoy the surroundings. It may give them reason next year to try even harder to get a badge and see what SDCC is like. In your scenario, you're preventing this from ever happening, since no badge, means they potentially may not have access to a hotel room, and thus may not come to SDCC at all.

Finally, SDCC isn't just the convention anymore. All the things surrounding the area matter as well.

CCI pretty much own a monopoly on the available rooms, I'm glad they're not enforcing it to such an extent that someone who wants to come just for offsite events, for instance, cannot get a room in the lottery. Now to make it clear, I'm not saying this to help myself. I have a badge, and have always had one for many years now. This year included. But, I still don't want it where one group has an advantage, and another does not. And for the record, while as a badge-holder, I've stayed at a friend's home in La Mesa and had to trolley in every morning, commuted from a city an hour away every day, gotten a hotel on Shelter Island in the lottery and took the shuttle 35+ mins each way, and done whatever else I needed to make sure I had a place to stay. If someone has a badge and wants to stay somewhere, they can make it work. No one is entitled to access the hotel lottery more than someone else. At least not in my mind.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 10:17:47 PM by Jonathan »

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #221 on: March 20, 2017, 10:45:44 PM »
[member=4284]Jonathan[/member] I don't want to keep arguing with you, because I agree that many of your points are valid, and it's clear that we're just never going to agree.

I will say, though, that I believe you've identified the crux of our disagreement: you believe the hotel sale should be open to everyone, and I believe it should be open only to badgeholders. The nitpicky points of who exactly is a badgeholder (FWIW, I mean anyone participating in SDCC itself in any capacity, but not anyone connected only with the offsites or other properties) and when people know they will need a room aside, that seems to be where we diverge, and we're just never going to see eye to eye on that.

Offline Jonathan

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #222 on: March 20, 2017, 10:57:56 PM »
[member=4284]Jonathan[/member] I don't want to keep arguing with you, because I agree that many of your points are valid, and it's clear that we're just never going to agree.

I will say, though, that I believe you've identified the crux of our disagreement: you believe the hotel sale should be open to everyone, and I believe it should be open only to badgeholders. The nitpicky points of who exactly is a badgeholder (FWIW, I mean anyone participating in SDCC itself in any capacity, but not anyone connected only with the offsites or other properties) and when people know they will need a room aside, that seems to be where we diverge, and we're just never going to see eye to eye on that.

I hope you know I don't find this arguing, so much as a genuine debate. Good talk is good talk. I replied to you, because I enjoyed reading what you have to say. I may not agree, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy enlightened conversation. Do note, I don't necessarily disagree with your statement about those participating in SDCC at any capacity. However, I feel like many of those with badges do not understand that not everyone has their badge at the same time. So those who do not have a badge yet when the hotel sale takes place, is out of luck. That's where the idea of rooms being held back was offered as a solution. The biggest problem here is what I previously stated. Not every hotel choice will be available. Not everyone will be as open as you in taking any hotel in the 6 block radius you stated. Maybe I'm the only one, I wouldn't take a lot of hotels there. I've stayed at most of them, and some I won't stay at again. Lets say my list of hotels I won't stay at again, includes some of the "best" and most popular choices. I can't imagine I'm the only one. Then I'm sure some people will not want certain hotels simply due to the cost or even location. Maybe someone will want something farther. It just is impossible to make every group happy. That's where I came to the conclusion of the lottery being open to all. Trust me, I've thought of many ideas that I could suggest to everyone here, but there's always some negative aspect. Having the hotel lottery open to all is the lesser of all evils in my mind. It has the least amount of problems.

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #223 on: March 20, 2017, 11:50:54 PM »
@jonathan You're right, this is definitely more of a debate than an argument. I just didn't want to monopolize the discussion when it seems clear that we're not going to come to agreement on this particular point.

Especially when I still have hope that CCI can find ways to update this process so it's truly fairer for everyone.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Offline kiddo235

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 40
« Reply #224 on: March 21, 2017, 08:24:16 AM »
People always disagree about the hotels in general, whether it be the reasons why someone likes some hotels over others, or people just thinking you should be happy that you get one at all, or the way the hotel sale is conducted, etc.

If it were possible for badge holders to get first dibs and THEN allow everyone else to participate after, that would seem to me to be a decent compromise.  It's not really necessary for those who don't have a badge and are not going inside the convention center for any reason to be staying at the Bayfront or the Marquis.  Those hotels especially make it easier for the con-goers to get sleep, swap in and out of line with other line savers during the night and to shower and be clean for the next days events (not that a lot of people bother with that  ??? ).  Why should those who are just hanging out in the area and taking advantage of the outside events need the immediacy of the next door hotels?  Just saying.  I mean it's not like they are in a rush.
"Always said I wanted to work in Hollywood...I should have been more specific."