Author Topic: SDCC 2017 - Children Becoming Juniors  (Read 4298 times)

Offline Resin

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 73
SDCC 2017 - Children Becoming Juniors
« on: August 08, 2016, 12:14:52 PM »
Quote from: Resin
Hello,

I am trying to create a Junior account for a 12 year old who will turn 13 after prereg/open registration, but before SDCC '17. I am unable to enter June 2004 as his birthdate. Is there a reason for this?

Thank you,
(Resin)

Quote from: CCIMina
Thank you for your inquiry and we apologize for the confusion. You will not be able to create him a Member ID account until after his 13th birthday. Unfortunately we do not have details on the Child Badge Policy for Comic-Con 2017 available at this time, however updates will be posted here on our website: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Attendee Preregistration usually occurs in the fall and is open to returning attendees only. Open Registration is open to the general public and traditionally occurs in late winter/early spring.

We strongly encourage you to read all of the information at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login) and follow us on Facebook (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login), Twitter (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login), and Toucan — the official blog of Comic-Con and WonderCon (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login) — for the latest registration announcements. We will announce the date and time of all badge sale events at least 48 hours prior to the sale.

Quote from: Resin
Thank you for the reply. However, he will not turn 13 until June, which is months after open registration. If I'm reading the policy correctly, he will no longer be eligible for a child badge and will require a junior account... which I'm not able to create, and therefore cannot buy him a badge.

What do I need to do for him to be able to attend in 2017?

Thank you,
(Resin)

Quote from: CCIMina
Our apologies for the confusion. We do not have details on Open Online Registration, our our Child Badge Policy for Comic-Con 2017 available at this time, however updates will be emailed to attendees as well as posted on our website. The policy on our website is currently for Comic-Con 2016.

Am I missing something here? I feel like a crazy person.

(Note that I intentionally didn't provide any more information than I gave to CCI in case I neglected to tell them something important.)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 01:35:24 PM by Angology »

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
Re: Unable to register for a Junior account
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 12:27:27 PM »
As I recall, whether or not a child needs a badge is determined by his/her age on the the badge sale date, not age at Comic Con.

The same holds true for transition for Child to Adult badge.

For example, my daughter turned 18 in February, after the PreReg sale.  So we bought her a Child Badge to use, even though she was 18 at the Con in July.  Hope this makes sense :)

Friends of Comic Cons

Re: SDCC 2017 - Children Becoming Juniors
« Reply #2 on: Today at 06:14:57 AM »

Offline Resin

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 73
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 12:36:00 PM »
Interesting. If I take their child badge policy from 2016 and increment everything by a year it would read

If you are age 12 or under before August 1, 2016, you do not need to buy a badge for Comic-Con 2017. You may attend as a child, with a paying adult. If you are age 13 or older before August 1, 2016, you must create a Comic-Con Member ID and purchase a badge for Comic-Con 2017.

Which doesn't make a lot of sense, but puts my mind at ease a little.

Offline Angology

• Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 01:34:45 PM »
Did your child attend this year? The previous discussions on this topic (was for 2015, mind you) stemmed from someone reading the back of their child's badge.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

If your child didn't attend-is there someone here with a child's badge from this year that can read the back to see what it says?

Also-forum housekeeping. Changing title of OP and making it sticky. This is a topic that is discussed each year, and can be pretty confusing and very important.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 01:42:22 PM by Angology »
Ang

Offline Angology

• Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 01:42:08 PM »
FYI: Here is the process someone detailed for us in August of 2015:

Okay as promised I'm posting the process for children becoming juniors (13 years) for pre-registration eligibility. So as someone mentioned we did have to wait until after August 1st before we could do this. This was the basic process I went through for my nephew...

1. Set up a new member-ID (name, address, birth date, etc).
Once you do this you need to confirm the email address (you get an email asking you to click a link).

2. Then once it's set up you need to click on the registration tab. (I took screenshots of all this but I can't quite figure out how to upload them here). You'll see a message saying "If you attended Comic-Con 2015 as a child click here to be eligible for Comic-Con 2016 Attendee Preregistration!".

3. Once you click on it there's a field where you enter the badge number from the child badge. (Side note: if you have more than one child badge like we did I'm not sure if it makes a difference which number you choose... the child badges all look identical but we happen to know which one was my nephew's.)

4. After you submit the badge number you get the typical "Congratulations! You have completed your Comic-Con Badge Number validation..." etc.  :)

It was pretty simple but for some reason there isn't a clear explanation of the process when you go looking for it.
Ang

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 05:53:33 PM »
Resin, the others are right. CCI sets a static date to determine age for the purpose of having a child badge. For the past 2 years, the date has been August 1. Presuming they continue this policy for next year, a child who is 12 or younger on August 1, 2016 would be considered a child for SDCC 2017, *even if* they turn 13 after August 1 and before the con. This happened to my son this year, because he turned 13 in December, 2015. He was given a child badge this year for SDCC 2016, because he was still 12 on August 1, 2015.

For juniors (ages 13-17) and seniors, the relevant age is the age on the day the badge is sold. So if a child is 17 on the day of the badge sale, but turns 18 the next day, they are still a junior for that year.

Also for the past few years, children who were 12 and had a child badge for SDCC one year have been made eligible for pre-registration for the following SDCC (i.e for their first junior badge). CCI usually announces a process for this transition when they announce the pre-registration badge sale. I'll be going through this myself this year, with my son.

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2016, 01:51:39 PM »
From within Member ID notices:

Did your child attend Comic-Con 2016 and would like to be eligible for Comic-Con 2017 Returning Registration?

Children who attended Comic-Con 2016 with a paid adult attendee that were age 13 or older before October 1, 2016, are eligible to participate in Comic-Con 2017 Returning Registration! Click here for instructions on how to complete the child-to-junior validation process before November 15, 2016. You will need the physical Comic-Con 2016 child badge to complete the validation process.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2016, 04:21:56 PM »
I just registered my new junior for pre-reg 2017.

First, I created a member ID account for him. Then I clicked on the Registration Info tab and saw this.

Then I was brought to a page where I was asked to enter a code. This code was on the back of my son's child badge from SDCC 2016.

Then it was all confirmed.

Not too difficult, as long as you have your child's 2016 child badge.

Offline RSilvaConFan

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 88
Child Badge Question
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 08:50:19 PM »
I have never brought a child to Comic-con - What document or ID is needed to verify age for a Child Badge - or is it on the honor system?

Offline RSilvaConFan

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 88
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 09:34:08 PM »
If a child was born on November 23, 2004 (will still be 12 years old for comic-con) - Do they still qualify for a Child Badge - or do they need a Member ID and go through the regular reg process?

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
Re: Child Badge Question
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 09:37:22 PM »
I have never brought a child to Comic-con - What document or ID is needed to verify age for a Child Badge - or is it on the honor system?

You most likely will not need any sort of document. We had an issue once when my very tall son was right at the cutoff age, they basically asked a few questions and it was fine. Every other time it's been easy and I haven't heard of other people having an issue.

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2017, 09:42:09 PM »
If a child was born on November 23, 2004 (will still be 12 years old for comic-con) - Do they still qualify for a Child Badge - or do they need a Member ID and go through the regular reg process?

They would still qualify for a Child Badge. The exact cut off this year is October 1, 2016 so even if they are 13 now, but were 12 on September 30, 2016 they would still be ok as a Child.

Funny thing, the exact text is "If you are age 12 or under before October 1, 2016, you do not need to buy a badge for Comic-Con 2017." Which kind of covers everybody in the world?  :)

Edit: After discussion with my son he pointed out that it does exclude babies born on or after October 1, 2016.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 09:45:34 PM by mark »

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2017, 12:44:47 AM »

Forum Housekeeping:
Merged this new "Child Badge Question" with our already established thread for SDCC 2017 child badges transitioning into juniors.

^__^d

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2017, 06:06:15 AM »
[member=823]RSilvaConFan[/member] If your child was 12 or younger on October 1 last year, you can get a free badge for them at SDCC. When you arrive in San Diego, go to the Sails Pavilion in the convention center and register your child.

While technically no documentation is needed, when I registered my kids at age 13 (they were 12 at the cutoff, but 13 at the time of the con) the person at the registration desk seemed doubtful, so I was glad to have a birth certificate to prove their age. I would recommend making sure you have a birth certificate with you, especially if the child looks older.