Author Topic: Phoenix Comicon to move to Pay-To-Volunteer system  (Read 4277 times)

Offline Louie_rob_m

• Hall H
  • Liked: 364
Re: Phoenix Comicon to move to Pay-To-Volunteer system
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2017, 10:36:08 AM »
Agree,  i predict lower service levels, higher prices, and i believe they need to restructure and lay off some staff. 1st year will be a struggle. Nevertheless, i believe this is the best long term approach for the health of the company. No loopholes that could get closed later.

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2017, 04:18:18 PM »
Related development, from: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

There are sure to be more changes announced in the coming weeks as Phoenix Comicon restructures to combat protests over their volunteer staffing practices. This has set off a domino effect inside the organization and we have found out that as part of the coming changes Phoenix Comicon will no longer be offering passes to professionals. This email was recently received by our contributor, Douglas Monce, who had inquired into when the form would go live on the PHXCC website:

Good afternoon Mr. Monce,
Thank you for your patience on a reply. Unfortunately we won’t be able to continue offering professional registration as a service. It had become highly labor intensive and for 2017 we’re looking at a much smaller staff so we just aren’t able to keep doing it. I hope you’re still able to join us.
Please let us know if you have any additional questions. Thank you!
Phoenix Comicon Information Desk
Discover your inner geek with Phoenix Comicon

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #32 on: Today at 08:01:19 AM »

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2017, 05:18:43 PM »
Very interesting!  Thanks for sharing.

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2017, 12:21:13 PM »
I wonder which large for-profit convention will be next to make some changes to their volunteer system? 
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline epicaz

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 264
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2017, 07:45:59 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Related development, from: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

There are sure to be more changes announced in the coming weeks as Phoenix Comicon restructures to combat protests over their volunteer staffing practices. This has set off a domino effect inside the organization and we have found out that as part of the coming changes Phoenix Comicon will no longer be offering passes to professionals. This email was recently received by our contributor, Douglas Monce, who had inquired into when the form would go live on the PHXCC website:

Good afternoon Mr. Monce,
Thank you for your patience on a reply. Unfortunately we won’t be able to continue offering professional registration as a service. It had become highly labor intensive and for 2017 we’re looking at a much smaller staff so we just aren’t able to keep doing it. I hope you’re still able to join us.
Please let us know if you have any additional questions. Thank you!
Phoenix Comicon Information Desk
Discover your inner geek with Phoenix Comicon

Wow! What are they thinking? This just seems so unconventional

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2017, 11:39:24 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I wonder which large for-profit convention will be next to make some changes to their volunteer system?

Silicon Valley Comic Con just flipped their Volunteer Program to a paid model citing California law. As is par with SVCC, communication wasn't great. :-\ They emailed volunteers notifying them they'd now be paid, and required work authorization in the US, but they did not mention that it was due to a legal requirement. This left a segment of volunteers that did not have work authorization (i.e. certain types of student visas, H1B) unable to participate -- and without being given the reason why initially, they were understandably upset.

I think we're going to definitely see more of this. I'm most concerned about some of the anime conventions, because almost all of them use volunteers and many are run by kids who don't quite have a handle on things, and this could land them in big trouble if they're not careful. Not sure whether this will affect CCI since they are a non-profit. Besides CCI, which major conventions are run by non-profits? I know Denver Comic Con is, and on the anime side, the two biggest ones--Anime Expo and Otakon are.
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15