Author Topic: How much do you spend on a Cosplay? Newbee questions  (Read 9605 times)

Offline Angology

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
Re: How much do you spend on a Cosplay? Newbee questions
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2017, 07:42:34 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
oh yeah there's a couple of good seamstresses around. but i'm still hopeful that i can find the shirt in the wild.  I just wish i knew i wanted this when i was in vietnam- i had fited dresses made for $40
I am about ready to go the seamstress route for my Osgood cosplay (the floral shirt she wears with the Sylvester McCoy sweater vest). And that is a simple cosplay (which is really all that I do). I have something that works, but it isn't perfect, and it bugs me a little.
Ang

Offline matthew

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2017, 07:39:42 PM »
there are often fabric warehouses.  like comiccons for fabric. the people there run the spectrum of the planet like a wild party that even has old ladies in it.

rockstars hunting odd printed fabric to hand over to a custom suit maker.
little girls looking to make giant teddy bears.
costume people looking for faux fur sheets.
nervous people shopping for prom/wedding dress material.

embrace the trip. find one near you.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #32 on: Today at 04:55:24 PM »

Offline foxbatkllr

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 175
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2017, 10:25:10 AM »
So this issue has just come up for me.  A costume I am working on requires platinum blonde/white hair but very straight and relatively short.  I have short brown curly/wavy hair.  I inquired about a custom wig and the quote I got was $850.  I could try bleaching my hair and straightening it but that will be a lot of work and its not guaranteed to look right.  Plus I will have to dye it back to a normal color immediately as my coworkers would think I'm nuts or going through some midlife crisis.

If I didn't have a 1 year old and I was going to a lot of conventions like the old days I'd probably bite the bullet and spend the money but this was supposed to be a cheaper costume and its not extremely popular either.

I also can't cancel the costume as its part of something I agreed to do with another friend so he'd be left out in the cold.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2017, 10:29:39 AM »
$850 seems rather high? I'm new so clueless

how about getting a less expensive wig of the right color & having a hairdresser cut it ?
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2017, 10:30:47 AM »
[member=4294]foxbatkllr[/member] Can you not substitute or mod a much cheaper wig? Obviously it won't be the same, but I'm sure you could find one that at least fits with the character. And great things can be done with glue, etc, to style it if it's a very particular shape. (I'm terrible at wig styling but I know it's possible, and you still have nine weeks to experiment.)

Offline superkatchick

• Supporter
  • Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 129
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2017, 10:32:30 AM »
[member=4294]foxbatkllr[/member] Amazon is amazing for cosplay wigs! Just make sure to double-check the return policy so if you hate it you can send it back! Not sure if this will work for you but found one pretty reasonable! You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline foxbatkllr

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2017, 10:53:01 AM »
Thanks for the links but trust me on this, a pre-made wig will not work.  This is a real custom job and requires at least a lace front.

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2017, 11:08:31 AM »
Without knowing what your desired end result is, it's hard to make suggestions... but I use this site for wigs quite often and they do have lacefronts in 2 price ranges. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2017, 11:18:22 AM »
So this issue has just come up for me.  A costume I am working on requires platinum blonde/white hair but very straight and relatively short.  I have short brown curly/wavy hair.  I inquired about a custom wig and the quote I got was $850.  I could try bleaching my hair and straightening it but that will be a lot of work and its not guaranteed to look right.  Plus I will have to dye it back to a normal color immediately as my coworkers would think I'm nuts or going through some midlife crisis.

If I didn't have a 1 year old and I was going to a lot of conventions like the old days I'd probably bite the bullet and spend the money but this was supposed to be a cheaper costume and its not extremely popular either.

I also can't cancel the costume as its part of something I agreed to do with another friend so he'd be left out in the cold.

What about buying one of these and giving it a haircut?

Offline mlgagne

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
  • By what right does the wolf judge the lion?
    • FoCC Blog Articles - mlgagne
  • Liked: 882
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2017, 11:36:11 AM »
Thanks for the links but trust me on this, a pre-made wig will not work.  This is a real custom job and requires at least a lace front.

Have you tried looking into Etsy? They have some really great cosplay wig shops, and I think many do custom orders! I've gotten both of my Game Of Thrones cosplay/lace front wigs from this Etsy shop (one was a custom order): You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I'm not sure what her current availability and/or inventory is, but she does amazing work and is very responsive to messages!
SDCC: 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019
WonderCon: 2017 | 2018 | 2019
NYCC: 2012 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016
Walker Stalker Con: 2015 (San Diego) | 2017 (Atlanta)

Offline foxbatkllr

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2017, 12:02:44 PM »
This will be human hair.  Wife told me to move forward with the purchase of the custom wig.  That means I will need to get major use out of this costume.  It's going to be a keeper I guess.  I don't talk about in progress costumes, so that's why I am not saying what it is.

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2017, 01:00:52 PM »
Wow! Well, best of luck with it. I am too cheap to spend more than $80 on a wig, but I know there are amazing creations out there if you're willing to spend more. I hope the costume comes out just as you envision it!

Offline appaloosafire

• Freebie Table
  • A man of no consequence.
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2017, 06:11:37 AM »
For my Kingly Raiment Noctis cosplay for SDCC this year, I spent about $700. Luckily I didn't have to worry about a wig this time around! It's by far the most I've spent on a cosplay so far, but next year I'm already planning to come as my Warlock from Destiny, which will be closer to the $900 range for all of the armor.