Author Topic: SDCC Exclusives vs. Convention Exclusives  (Read 1367 times)

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
SDCC Exclusives vs. Convention Exclusives
« on: April 27, 2017, 07:55:06 AM »
So, hopefully this is the right spot for this, if not, mods, move at your leisure.

The subject says it all.  I know folks talk about lines, and lessening time waiting and all that, and I'm good w/waiting in line.  I mean, it's SDCC, lines are just as much a part of the con as the goal at the end of the line.  But the thing that really grinds my gears is when I wait in the same line for an exclusive and then it's released to the general public by the same company, or, them calling it a 'Convention Exclusive' so that it's available at other conventions.  Nothing bugs me more than waiting in line for a long time for something, only to see that I could have ordered it online at a later time.

Now, I don't remember fully, but on the SDCC Exclusives page, I don't believe that they specifically call out if an exclusive is SDCC or 'Convention' exclusives.  If they provided that info, then I'd definitely be able to plan what I want to buy and not.  Do folks know if the distinction was provided for exclusives last year?

</rant>
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 01:12:55 PM by Devorah »
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
Re: Exclusives: SDCC vs. Convention
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 11:03:32 AM »
It's a new trend. Rarely are "exclusives" from the big companies actual SDCC-only exclusives anymore. Most will be honest and say, "convention exclusive" in their wording and when they say that, you know it's not for real. Hallmark exclusives have been the same ones at NYCC for a couple of years now and Hasbro will also do all of theirs online and also at other cons too. Has been the same with Mattel too. Funko shares a lot of theirs with other stores, the only difference being the stickers. The sticker at SDCC says SDCC and the sticker elsewhere says, "Convention Exclusive"

Neca also always makes theirs available at their store as well in limited quantities. You just need to do your research. I always assume these days when I'm buying an exclusive that it will be available later elsewhere, but if I want it really bad and those other places aren't for sure, I will try my best to get it at SDCC.

So far, Lego has been legit in their SDCC exclusives. That's the only place you can get them.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 11:17:08 AM by Mel »
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Friends of Comic Cons

Re: SDCC Exclusives vs. Convention Exclusives
« Reply #2 on: Today at 07:22:33 AM »

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 11:15:14 AM »
I always see some people buying things on ebay at a markup that are also available to order directly from the vendor. :(

Offline gabriel1013

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 17
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 12:36:50 PM »
I was reading that some companies can't and don't want to use the "SDCC Exclusive" sticker because they actually have to pay SDCC for the rights. So some toy companies just use "Convention Exclusive" sticker and sell them only during the convention circuit. But others say "Convention Exclusive" and sell them online or at some retail shops like Funko does. At NYCC they had some exclusives they sold at the con and at Hot Topic during the con.
But like Mel said, you just got to do your research.

Offline Devorah

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • If the apocalypse comes, beep me.
  • Liked: 1399
Re: "SDCC Exclusives" vs. "Convention Exclusives"
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 01:12:42 PM »
Forum Housekeeping:

Changed title of thread from "Exclusives: SDCC vs. Convention" to "SDCC Exclusives vs. Convention Exclusives" for the sake of clarification.

Offline AzT

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 01:14:00 PM »
So, hopefully this is the right spot for this, if not, mods, move at your leisure.

The subject says it all.  I know folks talk about lines, and lessening time waiting and all that, and I'm good w/waiting in line.  I mean, it's SDCC, lines are just as much a part of the con as the goal at the end of the line.  But the thing that really grinds my gears is when I wait in the same line for an exclusive and then it's released to the general public by the same company, or, them calling it a 'Convention Exclusive' so that it's available at other conventions.  Nothing bugs me more than waiting in line for a long time for something, only to see that I could have ordered it online at a later time.

Now, I don't remember fully, but on the SDCC Exclusives page, I don't believe that they specifically call out if an exclusive is SDCC or 'Convention' exclusives.  If they provided that info, then I'd definitely be able to plan what I want to buy and not.  Do folks know if the distinction was provided for exclusives last year?

</rant>

Not specified on Comic-Con 2016 Exclusives page ( You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login - now in 404 Access Denied land)

Just click on the name of any company on the list below to call up their individual pages and view their CCI 2016 exclusives. To navigate back to the list, use your browser's back button or use the "bread crumbs" listing at the top of each page to go backward. Once on a company's page, click on any image to view all of that page's images in a larger "gallery" and slide show format. Some companies are offering pre-ordering on their CCI exclusives. When you see a link to a website on the company page, click on it to order an item in advance and then pick it up at Comic-Con. Check back for more companies and more exclusives!

It's a new trend. Rarely are "exclusives" from the big companies actual SDCC-only exclusives anymore. Most will be honest and say, "convention exclusive" in their wording and when they say that, you know it's not for real. Hallmark exclusives have been the same ones at NYCC for a couple of years now and Hasbro will also do all of theirs online and also at other cons too. Has been the same with Mattel too. Funko shares a lot of theirs with other stores, the only difference being the stickers. The sticker at SDCC says SDCC and the sticker elsewhere says, "Convention Exclusive"

Neca also always makes theirs available at their store as well in limited quantities. You just need to do your research. I always assume these days when I'm buying an exclusive that it will be available later elsewhere, but if I want it really bad and those other places aren't for sure, I will try my best to get it at SDCC.

So far, Lego has been legit in their SDCC exclusives. That's the only place you can get them.

From NECA Twitter feed, replying to several questions about whether or not their 2016 TMNT SDCC Exclusives would be made available anywhere else (notice the plural):

(bold = mine)

FYI - the only way we are able to make TMNT in this scale is for cons only & sold only in sets. License restrictions, no retail. #facts

I always see some people buying things on ebay at a markup that are also available to order directly from the vendor. :(

I was reading that some companies can't and don't want to use the "SDCC Exclusive" sticker because they actually have to pay SDCC for the rights. So some toy companies just use "Convention Exclusive" sticker and sell them only during the convention circuit. But others say "Convention Exclusive" and sell them online or at some retail shops like Funko does. At NYCC they had some exclusives they sold at the con and at Hot Topic during the con.
But like Mel said, you just got to do your research.

Research, research, research ;)

Offline nootheroptions

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 77
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 02:06:51 PM »
I really hate the trend away from true exclusives.  Drives me nuts.  Takes a bit of the coolness out of the con.  Hope there's a trend back to smaller but higher items.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 11:54:04 AM »
I don't love this trend, but it was bound to happen. In my opinion, these reasons contribute to it:

Everyone on the internet now knows and pays attention to everything SDCC. An SDCC exclusive used to be a great way to promote a brand/product, but now companies are finding that they can use the SDCC brand without going to the trouble of having a true exclusive. They can call it a SDCC first release, or even release it concurrently other places and people will hear "SDCC" and perk up.

Also related to everyone paying attention to everything SDCC...the black market for the most in-demand products already starts as soon as they're announced. Flippers (as well as collectors who want to make an extra buck/recoup their costs) are paying attention and will buy these up. Going to SDCC is hardly a guarantee anymore that you'll be able to get something just because it's an exclusive...while, at the same time, if you can pay the right price then it's easier than ever before to get an SDCC exclusive outside of SDCC.

There are also more conventions than ever before, and companies are realizing that it benefits their bottom line a lot more to make it available at multiple conventions. They still get to call it an "exclusive" which will be good enough for most people, and the extra income they get from selling it elsewhere will more than offset the people who don't buy it anymore just because it's available at other places than SDCC.
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15