Author Topic: Anime Expo - Los Angeles Convention Center - July 1-4, 2017  (Read 4798 times)

Offline friedminded

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 23
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Anime Expo is the largest anime convention in the United States. With more than 100K attendees in 2016, AX is You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login than the next biggest anime con. It completely engulfs the Los Angeles Convention Center and surrounding venues every Independence Day weekend.

As it continues to grow, AX is becoming more and more SDCC-esque, establishing itself as the place to see world premieres, like in 2016 with Makoto Shinkai's movie Your Name. It has also been branching out into more non-anime mainstream pop culture, like inviting voice actor guests from Steven Universe, Overwatch, and OK K.O.

With the bigger size also comes new challenges for attendees. It's gotten to the point that there are so many high-profile events that people need to queue up one or two hours in advance. People are also learning that they might have to camp out to get autograph tickets, something that wasn't too common just a few years ago. This probably sounds really basic to SDCC regulars. :D

Anyway, I selfishly created this thread because I'm going this year and I need a room! If anyone has extra bed or floor space for a non-smoking, non-drinking male, please send me a PM and I'll tell you all about myself. With less than a week to go before the event, I'm not picky at all.

Is anyone going? Or does anyone have any great AX stories or tips? I'll be camping out for autographs at least twice this year. Super excited!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 07:36:44 AM by Angology »

Offline Angology

• Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
Re: Anime Expo - Los Angeles Convention Center - July 1-4, 2017
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 07:42:49 AM »
I have always wanted to go, but it's just too close to SDCC to make it viable. Be sure and report back after you go! I am sure there are others on here that attend.

Calendar link added
Ang

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 12:30:01 AM »

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 08:26:10 AM »
Have a great time!  My girls aren't going this year due to a schedule conflict.  Say Hi to Gudetama for me :)

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 11:41:14 AM »
I have always wanted to go, but it's just too close to SDCC to make it viable. Be sure and report back after you go! I am sure there are others on here that attend.

Calendar link added

Thanks for adding the calendar link, [member=364]Angology[/member]!

I attend both Anime Expo and Comic-Con, despite their close date proximity...  In some years, it's tough (there was one year when they were literally two days apart), but I still do it.  ^__^;  Super tired in basically all of July though, mostly trying to recover from both conventions, ha ha.

Anyway, I selfishly created this thread because I'm going this year and I need a room! If anyone has extra bed or floor space for a non-smoking, non-drinking male, please send me a PM and I'll tell you all about myself. With less than a week to go before the event, I'm not picky at all.

Is anyone going? Or does anyone have any great AX stories or tips? I'll be camping out for autographs at least twice this year. Super excited!

Perhaps also try asking on facebook (like on the official and unofficial AX pages or groups) to see if you can get a room share.  It might be something to look into you as well.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline Dan Berry

• Exhibit Hall
  • Comic Con veteran
    • The Convention Collective
  • Liked: 22
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 12:11:15 PM »

VIZ Media announces their Anime Expo 2017 plans

VIZ Media announced that at Anime Expo 2017, they will have the English voice cast of Sailor Moon
Contributor to The Convention Collective
SDCC 1993-1996, 2000-2019, WonderCon 2014-2019
C2E2 2015-2016, Phoenix Comiccon 2015-2016,
Silicon Valley Comic Con 2017-2019
ECCC 2017-2019
LBCC 2016-2019
LBCE 2016-2020
TwitchCon 2016-2018, and many more (20+ in 2019)

Offline friedminded

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 03:48:22 PM »
I've also heard that criticism before, that AX is too close to SDCC. I can see that as a reason why AX might be pushing more and more into non-anime stuff as they grow. Maybe they're trying to attract more of the SDCC crowd.

Have a great time!  My girls aren't going this year due to a schedule conflict.  Say Hi to Gudetama for me :)
I'll take a pic for you if I see Gudetama. :) I love cute eggs (see avatar!) and other plushie foods.

Perhaps also try asking on facebook (like on the official and unofficial AX pages or groups) to see if you can get a room share.  It might be something to look into you as well.
Thanks, I didn't know there are unofficial AX groups out there. I don't use Facebook but I'll ask around elsewhere. Normally I wouldn't wait until so late in the game to start searching for a room but this is a last-minute decision on my part to attend.

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2003
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2017, 05:21:33 PM »

Announcing the first of our convention exclusives: Ultimate Deco Super Saiyan Goku! Pick one up at our #AnimeExpo booth! #ax2017 #dragonball

@BandaiAmerica Jun 23

Our second convention exclusive is the ULTRA DELUXE SCOUTER! Available at the Bandai booth at Anime Expo! #itsover9000 #dragonballsuper

Offline Angology

• Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2017, 06:19:09 PM »
I attend both Anime Expo and Comic-Con, despite their close date proximity...  In some years, it's tough (there was one year when they were literally two days apart), but I still do it.  ^__^;  Super tired in basically all of July though, mostly trying to recover from both conventions, ha ha.
I probably would attend both if I lived in the area, but two trips to the west coast from Texas so close to each other would be too costly. This year I have a bunch of time off for the 4th, so from a time off perspective, it would be doable.
You are so lucky to live in the area!
Ang

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2017, 06:54:49 PM »
Thanks, I didn't know there are unofficial AX groups out there. I don't use Facebook but I'll ask around elsewhere. Normally I wouldn't wait until so late in the game to start searching for a room but this is a last-minute decision on my part to attend.

Well, sure, there are!  Just like for Comic-Con, there are unofficial facebook groups for AX too.  :]  I hope you find something!  Keep on the lookout and make sure you talk it out with any potential roommates before agreeing to anything.  Good luck.

I probably would attend both if I lived in the area, but two trips to the west coast from Texas so close to each other would be too costly. This year I have a bunch of time off for the 4th, so from a time off perspective, it would be doable.
You are so lucky to live in the area!

Ah, yeah, that makes sense.  Being in SoCal does help with attending both conventions.  Ha ha. 

Perhaps someday you could attend both. 
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline friedminded

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2017, 01:00:57 PM »
The autographs schedule just went up:

Also, if you are in the area and want to do something for free (no badge required), Funimation has events on Saturday and Sunday at Lucky Strike Bowling. A lot of YouTubers, streamers, and cosplayers will be there, and there's a meet-and-greet with the Dragon Ball Super cast:

Offline epicaz

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 264
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2017, 03:41:35 AM »
I'll be there! Just Sunday and Monday this year, we're making the trip up last minute from our vacation in San Diego. I'll be cosplaying as Ymir from Attack on Titan on Sunday, keep an eye out for anyone who looks suspiciously FoCC ;)

But yes! I'm very excited, this is my first AX

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2017, 08:31:54 AM »
Update, my girls will be there on Monday.  We are spending the week at Huntington Beach and they figured out where that is ;)

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2017, 12:57:07 PM »
Update, my girls will be there on Monday.  We are spending the week at Huntington Beach and they figured out where that is ;)

Ha ha, yeah, Huntington Beach isn't too far away from the L.A. Convention Center.  Hope you all have fun!

I'll be there! Just Sunday and Monday this year, we're making the trip up last minute from our vacation in San Diego. I'll be cosplaying as Ymir from Attack on Titan on Sunday, keep an eye out for anyone who looks suspiciously FoCC ;)

But yes! I'm very excited, this is my first AX

Oh, very cool!  Attack on Titan is awesome.  Hope you have a good time at AX!  (Sunday and Monday are probably the best days to go this year, since there is usually a lot going on during the second and third days of AX.)

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2017, 02:36:54 PM »
My younger daughter did an Attack on Titan cosplay a few years ago:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or LoginYou are not allowed to view links. Register or Login by You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, on Flickr

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2017, 02:38:45 PM »
My younger daughter did an Attack on Titan cosplay a few years ago:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or LoginYou are not allowed to view links. Register or Login by You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, on Flickr

That's awesome!  Really clever.  I love it.