Author Topic: SDCC 2018 All Sweepstakes/Contests for Badges/Hotels/Flights  (Read 5866 times)

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
SDCC 2018 All Sweepstakes/Contests for Badges/Hotels/Flights
« on: August 28, 2017, 05:34:18 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

We're SUPER excited to celebrate Comic-Con Day at Petco Park on September 4! Join us! Click the link below for more!

(bold = mine)

Super Friar is taking over Petco Park on Comic-Con Day®! Get your costumes ready for Comic-Con Day on Monday, September 4 when the Padres take on the Cardinals at 1:40 p.m. The day includes a ticket to the Padres game, pre-game costume contest in Park at the Park, themed in game entertainment and a limited-edition Padres-themed Comic-Con Day t-shirt. Tickets are only $25!

All fans are eligible to participate in the pre-game Comic-Con Day costume contest in Park at the Park. There are four costume contest categories: 1) Best/Most Original Sci-Fi, 2) Best/Most Original Fantasy, 3) Best/Most Original Comic Book Character and 4) Best/Most Original Kids Costume. The winner of each category will receive a pair of four-day passes to 2018 Comic-Con in San Diego! Sign up for the costume contest from 11:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. in Park at the Park on September 4. Only one category entry per person. The contest will begin at 12:00 p.m.

Only the first 500 fans who purchase the dedicated Comic-Con Day ticket pack for September 4 will receive the themed t-shirt. Shirt sizes are available on a first-come, first-served basis.

Note: Giveaway is included in special ticket package only. Must purchase ticket package from dedicated offer link above. Available on a first-come first-served basis. Subject to availability. This is not an all fan giveaway and the giveaway will only be provided to those who purchase the special ticket package. Those who purchase the package will receive more information via email on how to redeem item.

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
Re: SDCC 2018 All Sweepstakes/Contests for Badges/Hotels/Flights
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 05:37:20 PM »
It's not Comic Con Day unless they sell those tickets via a lottery :)
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Friends of Comic Cons

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 07:47:38 PM »

All of us at Comic-Con International and WonderCon Anaheim are thankful for the continued support of our amazing fans and friends. As Comic-Con 2018 Returning Registration approaches, we want to give back to communities struggling to rebuild in the wake of devestating weather events. Today, nearly 3 million residents of Puerto Rico are without electricity and 1 million children in Texas are unable to start school as they struggle to rebuild damaged education and daycare facilities.

Starting Thursday, October 26, and Saturday, October 28, visit eBay and bid on one of ten pairs of Comic-Con 2018 badges. All badges are good for all 4 days of Comic-Con 2018 plus Preview Night! 100% percent of auction proceeds will be donated to UNICEF USA, a non-profit organization leading disaster response, delivering supplies, and creating child friendly spaces for those communities impacted by the storms. UNICEF USA helps save and protect the world’s most vulnerable children.

Auctions for the first four pairs of badges will open on Thursday, October 26 at 3:00 PM Pacific Daylight Time (PDT). These are short, 24-hour auctions, that will end on Friday, October 27. Eight lucky, and generous, fans will sleep soundly on Friday night knowing that they won't need to wake up early for Returning Registration!

Not eligible to participate in Returning Registration? Having RetReg FOMO? Join the #RR2018 party by logging on to eBay on Saturday, October 28 at 9:00 AM (PDT) to bid on six more pairs of 4-Day badges with Preview Night! These badge auctions will be up for 72 hours to also allow people participating in Returning Registration an opportunity to bid.

All badges will be auctioned off on the official Comic-Con eBay account: sdcomic-con. Do not purchase badges from any other seller! Sdcomic-con is the only authorized seller of Comic-Con badges, and all other auctions are not associated with our event. Winners will have 10 days from the end of the auction to submit their Comic-Con Member ID information to Comic-Con for each registrant.  A Member ID is not required to bid on the auction, but all winners must sign up for a free Member ID in order to complete their registration. For more information about UNICEF USA, please click here.

Thank you again for your continued support and follow us on Twitter this Saturday for live updates during Returning Registration! #RR2018 #SDCC

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 08:18:15 PM »
Will be interesting to see what these go for.

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 10:21:12 AM »
Very interesting. I wonder if they will keep this up after Open Registration, too?  A nice way to raise funds for good things.
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline Angology

• Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 03:07:15 PM »
They opened 13 minutes ago, and are already at $6200 (probably more by now)! Crazy!
Ang

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2017, 04:04:12 PM »
It has surpast that now at like 7k or more now, they gonna raise alot bank for unicef seeing how this is going so far. shows u how bad people wanna go for next year. i not be shocked if it went any higher.

Online SteveD

• Administrator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1680
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 08:05:06 PM »
I'd like to know which one of you keeps outbidding me.  :D

Seriously, it's amazing how much some people will pay for these badges.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2017, 08:21:49 PM »
Seriously, it's amazing how much some people will pay for these badges.

Sad thing is, you would think that people would give the badge sale a chance before throwing money at this...

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2017, 11:24:26 AM »
These prices are totally out of the reach of most fans.  Good grief!  Well, at least they won't be sold on the 'black market' for even higher prices...or will they?? :(
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline dkd

• Hall H
  • Liked: 632
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2017, 11:45:57 AM »
These prices are totally out of the reach of most fans.  Good grief!  Well, at least they won't be sold on the 'black market' for even higher prices...or will they?? :(

It would be interesting if the people bidding for this are doing it for "scalper" reasons.

But, I could see a person who has been shut out in the open registration a few times might be interested in getting a guaranteed badge and a tax deduction for a charitable donation.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2017, 12:37:51 PM »
and a tax deduction for a charitable donation.

That's a good point. If you live in a high-state-income-tax state, your taxes are approximately 50% of your income. So if you pay $8,000 for 2 badges, that's an $8,000 tax deduction, which means it's only a $4,000 after-tax impact.

Still way too much money, but it does bring a different perspective.

Interestingly, my husband and I discussed one year what we would pay for a SDCC badge if they ever raised them to 'market' prices. I think we capped out at $1,000 for a 4 day badge. But we wouldn't bring the kids. ;)   That's about what we felt the experience was worth: $250 per day.

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2017, 01:27:35 PM »
Seeing how the event hows grown over the years, and so many try to go but so few feel shut out cause the same people try go every year and it no promise u can go at open reg since only so many are left after return reg and all other areas are coverd for different reasons from what i read. i learned alot that past few or so years that more volunteer or try to save and somewhat easier chance to get in since they do need the help in so many different jobs to get done over the 4 or more days that they need volunteers. either way u get reg badge , or other badges, it still one of the most crazy and busiest events i been to over the years i try go to any really.

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2017, 04:09:41 PM »
I have a friend who bid on these but dropped out around 5000 or so. He's a regular SDCC attendee and has had a lot of luck in startup/IPO stuff so he's in a somewhat different financial position compared to me. His reasoning was that he might as well bid around what he might donate to charity anyway, especially since you would get to participate in returning registration for 2019.

As for me, I saved over $6000 dollars today :)

Online susanml10881

• Hall H
  • Liked: 152
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2017, 06:32:48 PM »
Sad thing is, you would think that people would give the badge sale a chance before throwing money at this...

Might be worth it to avoid the stress and time wasted, especially if they don't qualify for preregistration. And it's before the sale. More likely if it was after the sale, people shut out and realize how hard it was, would be bidding more?

I don't think it's tax deductible? The money is going to cci through eBay. They're giving proceeds to UNICEF, not the buyer? Usually for auctions, you can write off anything above the value.