Author Topic: SDCC 2018 Secondary Market Tickets ALREADY (A Rant & Article Break Down)  (Read 1746 times)

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
This is going to be kind of a ranty post.  I apologize as I try to be generally upbeat and don't want to drag the forum down, but in my googling for SDCC 2018 chatter I found a website that has a ton of information wrong. I worry some poor newbie is going to be led astray by them as they're one of the top results for several key words for SDCC 2018.  I just... You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Again I apologize for the ranty nature of this post.  I don't want newbies to get wrong info.  I LOVE helping newbies and I'm sad to see the potential disappointment from following the advice of websites like this.

Breaking it down...

Rather than allow unused passes to sit untouched every year, we help connect fans with other fans to purchase Comic-Con badges on the secondary market. This allows fans who can’t attend one year to earn their money back, and new fans to attend this exciting event.

This is one of the few factual things in the article, but it's a major red flag.  They are clearly admitting to breaking the rules and selling tickets on the secondary market. 

Comic-Con expects around 200,000 attendees this year, which will be the largest crowd the event has ever seen.

It's actually 130,000 attendees, which they even quote at the BEGINNING of the article.  So they are right once, and wrong another time.  Even if they are accounting for people that just show up without badges, there's really no way to calculate that.  And I don't think it'd be an increase of 54%.  Where are they getting these 70,000 extra people?  I can see estimating maybe 140,000.  Maybe 150,000.  Extra workers for offsites, people without badges... sure.  Account for that. But that's a huge discrepancy.  Are they counting people that only have Saturday (or whatever) badges separately or something? If so, how even do they begin to calculate that?

Although Bucket List Events may not be able to make the lines disappear we can make sure you avoid the long waits and traffic that can take up much of the day.

No you can't.  You might be able to get someone a badge on a secondary market but when they get there, they'll be just like the rest of us.

Don’t forget that you need to reserve your seats at discussions, panels

No you DON'T.  You have to wait in line.  The wristbands aren't a "reservation," if that's what they are talking about.

That's New York Comic Con.

In summary:
  • This is against CCI rules
  • You can't avoid the lines no matter what this website promises you
  • New York Comic Con and SDCC are totally different

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Iris

• Supporter
  • Hall H
    • Website links to my discord for alternate contacting
  • Liked: 708
Re: SDCC 2018 Secondary Market Tickets ALREADY (A Rant & Article Break Down)
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 04:08:18 PM »
Completely agreed on basically everything, and it's awful they're spreading misinformation ugh. Either way, I can't blame you for thinking it's ranty, but I had exactly the same response ugh. Not to mention, considering the huge amount of people trying to buy badges, there is no way there are "unused passes" left over for ANYONE to distribute, unless you're getting them against CCI's policy. I hope you've already reported the link to CCI.

Though I'm thinking they may be referring to total individuals with the 200,000, as in throughout the 4 days + Preview Night since there's the 4-day badges and then individual badges day badges. Probably resulting in different people throughout the days even if they sell 120,000 per day, there are people who can only manage to go 1 or two days then other people count additionally towards the total individuals.
Author of the Hotel Exchange Deposit and Transfer Walkthrough. If you need help with figuring out the logistics of an OP deposit, transfer, etc., please feel free to DM me here or Discord and I'll do my best to help. If you DM me on Discord, please identify yourself and that you're from the forum.

Friends of Comic Cons

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 09:00:59 PM »
I hope you've already reported the link to CCI.

I have not. Do you know how I do that?  I found another website doing it as well.

Offline Iris

• Supporter
  • Hall H
    • Website links to my discord for alternate contacting
  • Liked: 708
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 09:47:09 PM »
I have not. Do you know how I do that?  I found another website doing it as well.

Hopefully others step in to correct me if I'm wrong, I can't remember if there's a specific place. I think previously people just used their contact form on their main site. I'd just make it obvious from the title that it's about this kind of thing, so hopefully they don't mark it as non-urgent.
Author of the Hotel Exchange Deposit and Transfer Walkthrough. If you need help with figuring out the logistics of an OP deposit, transfer, etc., please feel free to DM me here or Discord and I'll do my best to help. If you DM me on Discord, please identify yourself and that you're from the forum.

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 11:39:12 PM »
Hopefully others step in to correct me if I'm wrong, I can't remember if there's a specific place. I think previously people just used their contact form on their main site. I'd just make it obvious from the title that it's about this kind of thing, so hopefully they don't mark it as non-urgent.

Excellent. I'll do that sometime this weekend for sure.  I've found three now and I'm so mad.  Like irrationally so lol.  I don't want people to get screwed over by this stuff.

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 11:25:02 AM »
Just an update: I emailed CCI pointing to two of the scam websites last weekend.  Didn't hear back from them but I didn't exactly expect a response.  They have a lot going on, especially a week before pre reg.  But I feel better knowing they know.  And I did notice the sites fall off the front page of google search for a few key search terms, but it still bothers me they show up via google.  But eh, I've done my part with them.  Thankfully this website outranks them for certain key phrases that newbies might use to find information.  I hope they stumble in here instead.