Author Topic: Cons Not Necessarily Dealing with Comics?  (Read 1767 times)

Offline Xircuits

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 103
Cons Not Necessarily Dealing with Comics?
« on: January 31, 2018, 08:28:41 AM »
I love Cons. Every year I always go to at least 1 Comic Con. But throughout the year, I also attend other gatherings/cons not related to comics. I have a bit of an obsession with pens, so every year I attend at lease 1 pen show. I missed the Philadelphia Pen Show this year, but I plan on heading to the Long Island Pen Show later this year.

A few years back, I found out my favorite actor was going to be at MonsterCon in Cherry Hill, New Jersey (Just outside of Philadelphia) and I had to go meet him. It's turned out to be a fun Horror Con. They had True Blood cast members, I got to meet and talk with Ted Raimi, and Tony Todd. This was a huge treat as I've been a fan of horror and sci-fi films.

I've been listening to a lot of podcasts lately --latching onto paranormal and crime ones and one of them was talking about CrimeCon. That's a new one for me. This got me curious. Are there things like Paranormal Con? Ghost Con? Because I totally would attend one of these spooky cons. I love haunted house stories.

Are there any cons that I never would have thought about or heard about outside Comics and Pop Culture? Do any of you guys attend some of these lesser known cons? Fringe cons? I'm curious.
Handle for most social media & gaming accounts: @Xircuits

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
Re: Cons Not Necessarily Dealing with Comics?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 09:42:15 AM »
I go to cons that aren't really comics-related, but they are all pop culture related. Cons like Creation Star Trek cons and Walker Stalker cons, Gallifrey One. I guess the most 'fringe' con I attend is GenCon, which is all about gaming.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 05:25:12 AM »

Offline Xircuits

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 09:52:17 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I go to cons that aren't really comics-related, but they are all pop culture related. Cons like Creation Star Trek cons and Walker Stalker cons, Gallifrey One. I guess the most 'fringe' con I attend is GenCon, which is all about gaming.

Oh yeah! And 1 year my brother and I scored Friday tickets for Pax Boston. That was loads of fun and I want to reserve a year to do that again since now I own a car, it's easy to toss all our gaming systems in the trunk and spend all night playing.

Our household is a big fan of Star Trek, I should probably check that out. What is Gallifrey One? Is Walker Stalker a Walking Dead Con?

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 10:00:06 AM »
And a lot of You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 10:07:07 AM »
Our household is a big fan of Star Trek, I should probably check that out. What is Gallifrey One? Is Walker Stalker a Walking Dead Con?

Walker Stalker is Walking Dead cons, yeah. Walker Stalker and Creation have a similar business model, which is that they really push the autograph and photo ops. Both offer VIP tickets that allow you to skip some lines and sit closer at the panels.

Gallifrey One is a small Doctor Who con. I'm not actually a Doctor Who fan myself, but I bring my daughter, who is a superfan. Even though Doctor Who is not my thing, it's a very nice, well-run con and they generally have enough sci0fi offerings that I'm still entertained.

We've been meaning to try one of the Pax cons (Pax West, I guess) but aren't always able to get away. My husband goes to a really small gaming con close to us called Kubla Con, but it's very limited in the games offered and they have this annoying points/lottery system for allocating events that drives me batty, so I don't bother.

Offline Xircuits

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 10:28:34 AM »
And a lot of You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Holy crap!! I got a little excited about AlienCon, but hesitant to click on FurCon at work because I've only known about Furries in TV. Thanks! I wonder if I can attend a FurCon as myself with a camera. I love taking photos at conventions. How friendly are they to non-furries attending a FurCon I wonder?

I thought at first AlienCon was like a con for the Alien movies. For some reason, I never thought about UFOs even though I like watching The X-Files and my father is into reading UFO books. This is definitely one to check out! Thanks!

I'm familiar with a few AnimeCons around New York City and Boston- I had neighbors who would cosplay multiple times a year.

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 11:35:51 AM »
Have only been to cons any that cover comics and beyond. never been to any con that just covers one theme really. not sure if cons were created to be more wide range after SDCC. i guess there are way more cons now then there was years ago. SDCC used to be focused on comics and anything related to them but it has become as they say more pop culture so they try to cover everything possible now days. i can see why it so popular cause they try to have alot in one event instead of having fly all over for variety of stuff.

Offline Xircuits

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 06:40:44 AM »
Have only been to cons any that cover comics and beyond. never been to any con that just covers one theme really. not sure if cons were created to be more wide range after SDCC. i guess there are way more cons now then there was years ago. SDCC used to be focused on comics and anything related to them but it has become as they say more pop culture so they try to cover everything possible now days. i can see why it so popular cause they try to have alot in one event instead of having fly all over for variety of stuff.

I definitely think there are way more cons now than ever before. I'm interested in discovering new cons to attend that I may not have known before or even considered. For example, the Pen Shows. I love fountain pens. I didn't know there was such a fanbase in fountain pens in America. I was under the impression America just used whatever Staples offered - ballpoint and Pilot G2 pens. I lost interest because the range of inks are limited to the usual black/blue/blue-black/red when I lived in China. Then I found Noodler's inks. They make the colors of the rainbow and highlighter inks and even an ink that reacts to blacklights! Who knew? Then I went to a pen show. I met people who modified fountain pens, who made their own, antique pens being sold, and then I discovered oblique pens and now I'm getting requests from people to do wedding invitations because they saw my calligraphy. So it has reinvigorated my interest in fountain pens.

I'm one of those people that are always on the lookout for new experiences and new things to attend and be interested in and not just the mainstream stuff.

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2018, 10:43:54 AM »
I definitely think there are way more cons now than ever before. I'm interested in discovering new cons to attend that I may not have known before or even considered. For example, the Pen Shows. I love fountain pens. I didn't know there was such a fanbase in fountain pens in America. I was under the impression America just used whatever Staples offered - ballpoint and Pilot G2 pens. I lost interest because the range of inks are limited to the usual black/blue/blue-black/red when I lived in China. Then I found Noodler's inks. They make the colors of the rainbow and highlighter inks and even an ink that reacts to blacklights! Who knew? Then I went to a pen show. I met people who modified fountain pens, who made their own, antique pens being sold, and then I discovered oblique pens and now I'm getting requests from people to do wedding invitations because they saw my calligraphy. So it has reinvigorated my interest in fountain pens.

I'm one of those people that are always on the lookout for new experiences and new things to attend and be interested in and not just the mainstream stuff.

Cool to see u have like a hobby. and yes it seems there are cons for almost everything just about. SDCC is like a one stop shop for almost everything, all depends on what u want and what u willing to pay to get what u want lol. it is like u gotta have some kinda plans to have idea what u wanna do at anytime or u can just sit and waste time when u can be taking pics, getting stuff signed or buy anything u want alot. but do have back up plans incase what u try do does not go as planned.

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2018, 12:47:27 PM »
Holy crap!! I got a little excited about AlienCon, but hesitant to click on FurCon at work because I've only known about Furries in TV. Thanks! I wonder if I can attend a FurCon as myself with a camera. I love taking photos at conventions. How friendly are they to non-furries attending a FurCon I wonder?

I've been before (and don't dress up) but found them to be very friendly. Same general rules as most cons apply, i.e. ask before taking a picture. But most of them I've found are very happy to get their picture taken.

I thought at first AlienCon was like a con for the Alien movies. For some reason, I never thought about UFOs even though I like watching The X-Files and my father is into reading UFO books. This is definitely one to check out! Thanks!

I'm familiar with a few AnimeCons around New York City and Boston- I had neighbors who would cosplay multiple times a year.

Np! Hope you enjoy :)
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7002
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2018, 09:28:32 PM »
does anyone know of a con that happened last fall in OC. it had some really interesting new music & street (?) art maybe event comic art... it's driving me crazy- I can not remember the name. i think it was in Sept/Oct
it was a 2 day show
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Computer Gary

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 12
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2018, 06:37:32 PM »
There are also stamp shows, coin shows, baseball card/sports memorabilia shows, shows for Beatle fans.

I'm sure there are cons, or shows, for all sorts of different interests.

Offline Angology

• Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2018, 12:21:53 PM »
The Austin area has a great Record Convention twice a year. I had been going to it since the 80s, when I was in college. I haven't been in the past couple of years, but it is still going strong. So much great vinyl in one place!
Ang

Offline Violet

• Gaming Lounge
  • Gender Biased Reviews www.gbreviews.com
    • Gender Biased Reviews
  • Liked: 118
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2018, 01:43:49 PM »
does anyone know of a con that happened last fall in OC. it had some really interesting new music & street (?) art maybe event comic art... it's driving me crazy- I can not remember the name. i think it was in Sept/Oct
it was a 2 day show

[member=1]alyssa[/member] Is Nerd-Con the one you're thinking of? You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline RTFirefly

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 35
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2018, 01:47:03 PM »
My girlfriend and I have gone to the Steampunk World's Fair in Parsippany NJ the past few years. There tends to be a lot of interesting vendors and some cool cosplay there.